Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2007, 04:40 PM

16 posts, read 78,862 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I'm starting to focus on my 5th grader's school choice in anticipation of our move there next month. She's very interested in singing and acting & was slated to attend a middle school here in NC with a very strong performing arts program. Now that we're moving to St. Louis, I'm trying to see if we can duplicate or better the program we have here. In the areas we're focused on for our home search, I've identified Rockwood, Crestview, Wildwood,& Central Middle Schools as being pretty strong academically. Are any of these particularly strong in the performing arts as well (plays, musicals, band & chorus, etc.)? Any other middle schools in the area I should consider?

For Catholic K-8 options, I've been told that Incarnate Word and Holy Infant have the most depth in terms of performing arts. Can anyone verify that for me? Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 06:01 PM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,715,511 times
Beyond the school programs, check out COCA: COCA :: Welcome

They offer after school classes that are well beyond what you will find in most schools.

I don't know about the schools you mentioned, but the middle school for Webster Groves (Hixson) is supposed to have great band and drama programs. I think Kirkwood Middle also has good programs. There is also a Visual and Performing Arts magnet program in the city.

When it comes to the Catholic elementary schools, it is really hit or miss when it comes to music or drama programs during the school day. Most Catholic schools, like the one my child attends, do have band and drama programs, but the classes are after school.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:31 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,739,556 times
Well, I know schools based on their orchestra programs.
That means Parkway, Rockwood, Kirkwood, Lindbergh, Webster Groves, Ladue, Clayton.
Other districts to look at would be Pattonville, Ferg-Flor, and Hazelwood also have significant programs, but you have to look closely at the individual programs at individual schools (probably true for the first 7 districts too, but they are stronger district-wide than the second three).

The separation between programs really is not due to the schools themselves. It is due to the students and families. Go to Webster Groves, Ladue, or Clayton, and virtually every student has their own instrument and is paying for outside private lessons. Parkway and Rockwood have huge numbers, and with it large numbers of students who have been playing for 10 years or more with private lessons. Lindbergh and Kirkwood are in between. Not the same sheer numbers, but a lot of students with heavy family financial support from a young age behind them.
Meanwhile, if you look at Pattonville, Ferg-Flor, or Hazelwood, you will find nearly every student is renting their instrument and only gets lessons in school. Some of them are as talented as the students at the higher resource districts, but simply cannot keep up against weekly hour long private lessons versus weekly in-school half hour group lessons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis