Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 11:19 AM

4 posts, read 18,751 times

Advertisements

Hi, I just bought a house in one of the first-ring of suburbs of St. Louis and I'm getting high quotes for home insurance (around $1800 a year) for coverage of a modest 1.5 story 1300 sq foot home. Do these rates seem typical?

It's much higher than the national average, yet my home is not valued higher, and there are no particulars that I'd guess would lead to higher premiums - either specific to the home (it's well-maintained and updated and it's not in an area prone to disasters), or my history (no previous claims, I have good credit, etc…).

So I'm doing some research before I commit, and looking for info here. Anyone care to share what they pay in homeowners insurance, and if you think my quotes are an anomaly or typical for the area? Of course the insurance companies can't, or won't, give me an explanation.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 03:22 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,735,888 times
Sounds like a typical rate for Missouri. For my house the rate is $2600/year on 1900 sq ft. The tornadoes drive up rates throughout tornado alley. Replacement costs here are nearly double appraised home value, and earthquake insurance also adds several hundred dollars a year.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:49 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,825,479 times
We have a 1540sq ft home with a finished basement and we pay about $105 and change a month through Farmers for full coverage home insurance (including earthquake and flood insurance). So yes, it does sound a tad high to me! I would probably shop around a bit!

Old 11-18-2013, 06:13 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,929,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettpuppy View Post
Hi, I just bought a house in one of the first-ring of suburbs of St. Louis and I'm getting high quotes for home insurance (around $1800 a year) for coverage of a modest 1.5 story 1300 sq foot home. Do these rates seem typical?

It's much higher than the national average, yet my home is not valued higher, and there are no particulars that I'd guess would lead to higher premiums - either specific to the home (it's well-maintained and updated and it's not in an area prone to disasters), or my history (no previous claims, I have good credit, etc…).

So I'm doing some research before I commit, and looking for info here. Anyone care to share what they pay in homeowners insurance, and if you think my quotes are an anomaly or typical for the area? Of course the insurance companies can't, or won't, give me an explanation.

Thanks in advance
is it brick? I live in Brentwood and my house is 72 years old- our HO is quite expensive too. I actually asked a bunch of coworkers too- and i had quotes from 5-6 different insurers; they were all within 100-200 of each other. Mine is also the same square footage with a finished basement; i have a house alarm and we're like 2 blocks from the fire department and very close to the police station as well.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:42 PM

I forgot to mention- my house is brick, built 1959, but is a single story ranch (with basement)- not 1.5 stories like the OP's which may make a difference I guess?

We also got a discount for having a new roof, as well as a military discount.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:40 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,735,888 times
I figured the OP's rate (like mine) were without discounts. I get over $1k in discounts off that $2.6k premium.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:57 PM

Yeah I completely forgot about the discounts we get in my first post! I'm not sure how much they reduce our insurance by though.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:57 PM

Thanks all for info,

I'm still shopping around for lower quotes. This is for a 1900 frame house. With basic materials the rebuild estimate is only 225k-250. I'm not even insuring for extras like earthquake or flood. I guess the windstorm/tornado damage risk is higher for a frame structure than brick. But I'd guess this old house with plaster walls is still sturdier than most brand new construction. Any more info, or suggestions for lower-priced coverage are welcome :-)

Old 11-19-2013, 09:28 AM

320 posts, read 607,370 times
^Brick or brick veneer? If the brick is the structure of the building, it's a brick building. If it's a single layer of brick over plywood and 2x4s, it's brick veneer. Being built in 1959, it's probably brick veneer, which makes it little more than a glorified frame house. You typically have to go back another 20-50+ years for it to be full masonry construction.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:35 AM

I think you confused two posts. My house was built in 1900 - I'm not sure if that's relevant to the homeowners insurance costs being so very high. I'm just adding any info that I think might contribute to the costs. Any thoughts on typical insurance rates in the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: