Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 11:55 PM

3 posts, read 20,223 times

Advertisements

Hello - I moved down to Missouri in February, and have been living in the city of St. Charles, MO ever since. I work at Boeing in Berkeley, MO. I have noticed that, for whatever reason, the 1% St. Louis withholding tax has been being taken out of my paychecks since day one. Since I do not actually live OR work in the city, what do I need to do? (Regarding getting this stopped, along with getting my money back when I file my taxes)

Thank you so much in advance,
Brad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 08:43 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,011,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b2wice View Post
Hello - I moved down to Missouri in February, and have been living in the city of St. Charles, MO ever since. I work at Boeing in Berkeley, MO. I have noticed that, for whatever reason, the 1% St. Louis withholding tax has been being taken out of my paychecks since day one. Since I do not actually live OR work in the city, what do I need to do? (Regarding getting this stopped, along with getting my money back when I file my taxes)

Thank you so much in advance,
Brad

Talk to your payroll people. I've always understood that you have to either live or work in the city to be subject to the tax.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:19 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,686,641 times
Sounds like someone in payroll thinks you live in STL (maybe a zip code was entered incorrectly?) You'll have to talk to your company to get the witholdings changed, and you'll have to file a tax form with the city to get a refund of taxes you've already paid (Forms and Information | Earnings Tax | Collector of Revenue | City of St. Louis, Missouri)

Old 12-27-2013, 02:20 PM

589 posts, read 1,106,565 times
I agree with billiken. The only ones who pay city earnings taxes are those who (1) live in the city regardless of where the work (2) live outside the city BUT work IN the city.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:51 PM

Thank you all so much! I figured that was the case. I will file a city return! Thanks again!

Old 01-29-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
Sounds like someone in payroll thinks you live in STL (maybe a zip code was entered incorrectly?) You'll have to talk to your company to get the witholdings changed, and you'll have to file a tax form with the city to get a refund of taxes you've already paid (Forms and Information | Earnings Tax | Collector of Revenue | City of St. Louis, Missouri)

So my current employer (a contracting company) claims that 63134 (Berkeley, MO) is listed as a ST LOUIS TAX LOCALITY. I looked it up myself and 63134 is NOT on that list...Should I just fill out the E-1R form?

Old 01-30-2014, 08:57 AM

589 posts, read 1,106,565 times
Berkley is certainly NOT St. Louis city, and is a municiplaity in St. Louis County. You should get your taxes refunded so long as you do not live or work within the city limits of St. Louis.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:52 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,147 times
63134 is a city of St Louis taxing locality, but only because part of 63134 is the airport. Airport employees, but not employees of other companies in the airport, are city of St Louis employees, so they pay the city tax. Everyone else in 63134 does not.

This is the enormous problem with using zip codes like they are some sort of logical geographic area. 63134 covers, by my count, at least 24 different taxing zones all with different rates for different taxes. And that is before taking into account the sewer taxes that will probably fracture it into 100+ different taxing zones (but don't matter in income and sales tax).

Old 02-02-2014, 10:18 PM

171 posts, read 445,025 times
I am an airport employee who is not necessarily subject to the 1% city tax. I live in the city, however, and thus pay it.

That said, a co-worker of mine is forced to file a tax return with the city every single year to get a refund (what I assume you'll need to do), because our HR system, even after FIVE YEARS, will not fix her address and denote that she lives in the county and not the city despite her zip code. However, she never has any issues with it--she always gets her refund, no questions asked. Being that I'll be moving to 63074 in the county this summer, I can only hope I don't wind up with the same fate.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:09 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,253,106 times
I don't now where Berkeley is but is it possible that someone is using the USPS codes? I live far from the city but my mailing address is "St Louis". People living in Crestwood, Sunset Hills, many other cities all use "St Louis" as their mailing address. Very confusing. I have even run into companies whose computers showed that I was giving them a wrong address since 63126 is not in St Louis. That takes explaining before they'll accept my address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis