U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 01:34 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,786,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
I realize this is hard to understand for people that recently moved to St. Louis and see these nice areas and don't see a problem, but many areas of St. Louis that are nicer now weren't always like that. People that grew up in the metro have opinions about places that might not be completely accurate now, but it's going to take time for those types of stereotypes to die out. It's not like these stereotypes weren't formed for a good reason though.

Believe me I have these people in my own family so I know. I have family members that think there is absolutely no reason to go downtown unless it's for a cardinals or blues game, and I constantly try to tell them things have changed since the 80s and 90s. Takes time though.
Isn't it a little bit ridiculous that people haven't noticed the difference since how things have changed since the 80s or 90s though? It's not like things changed in the last 5 years. The CWE has been "nice" since before the Cold War ended. It's not like there aren't multiple outlets exposing suburbanites to different parts of the city in the media: Washington Ave, Soulard, CWE, high end restaurant reviews of places like Niche (at the time) and Sidney Street in Benton Park, just opening your eyes up and looking around when you're at a Blues or Cards game, S Grand.

At some point, it's less about cutting people some slack and realizing that it will take time, and its more about recognizing that some people just don't like the city, want to continue thinking it's bad, and they would prefer to ignore any evidence suggesting it isn't.

There is no other rational explanation. You can't not see change over 20 years that happens right down the street, but somehow come to grips with changes in the world over the same 20 years thousands of miles from home unless you simply don't want to see them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 02:05 PM

536 posts, read 632,094 times
^ Your post assumes they care though. And they don't. Most people that grew up hating the city probably aren't going to change. I'm mostly talking about older people though. I don't know many people around my age (i'm in my 30's) that hate the city. What I meant by it takes time, is I meant it takes time for the next generation to come along. I can imagine St. Louis being a very different place for my nieces and nephews that are in elementary school now.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:20 AM

78 posts, read 91,080 times
STL is an awful place to live city and county. The only people who try to minimize the facts are a part of the incestuous blood line that makes up a great deal of the population. The crime is not only in the "black" parts of town as the bigots would lead others to believe. Don't believe me? Google STL Transplants...a social organization where outsiders must who move to STL must go if they want to make friends as the locals are very unfriendly. Business hire good people who are well educated and these people leave 1-3 years tops. Search River Front Times and local STL newspaper. You will find articles about the issues. Google "Where did you go to high school?" a question asked by the locals that want to place you in a social class and judge in the a not nice way. Bottom line is STL, city and county is socially illiterate, emotionally deprived, uneducated, bigoted and full of problems. There is not another place like STL and this is not something to be proud of. If that is not enough the police provide a service to the locals in the form of harassment to run off outsiders. STL is one very ugly place. I have nothing to gain by telling others about this...other that saving someone, or a family trouble they do not need. The public schools are not good at all and outsider children are bullied by the locals. STL is one very disgusting place.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:44 AM

1,221 posts, read 1,999,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoToSTL View Post
STL is an awful place to live city and county. The only people who try to minimize the facts are a part of the incestuous blood line that makes up a great deal of the population. The crime is not only in the "black" parts of town as the bigots would lead others to believe. Don't believe me? Google STL Transplants...a social organization where outsiders must who move to STL must go if they want to make friends as the locals are very unfriendly. Business hire good people who are well educated and these people leave 1-3 years tops. Search River Front Times and local STL newspaper. You will find articles about the issues. Google "Where did you go to high school?" a question asked by the locals that want to place you in a social class and judge in the a not nice way. Bottom line is STL, city and county is socially illiterate, emotionally deprived, uneducated, bigoted and full of problems. There is not another place like STL and this is not something to be proud of. If that is not enough the police provide a service to the locals in the form of harassment to run off outsiders. STL is one very ugly place. I have nothing to gain by telling others about this...other that saving someone, or a family trouble they do not need. The public schools are not good at all and outsider children are bullied by the locals. STL is one very disgusting place.
So move.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:36 PM

446 posts, read 349,430 times
Quote:

We all have our different experiences and our own way of looking at things and our own standards. I am not going to oppose to anything you feel about STL; however, I would like to know what other town in the U.S. you would consider good and why?

Old 02-13-2014, 03:47 PM

4 posts, read 4,222 times
St. Louis can be challenging to newcomers but that's why groups like STL Transplants were created. A lot of locals want to reach out to those who are new to the area, and I think in some ways it is working. I hear far more positive comments from transplants now than I did about a decade ago. I'm sorry your experience has been so negative and I wish you luck wherever you wind up next.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:16 PM

1,709 posts, read 1,384,934 times
Quote:
You have literally 4 posts on this forum, 2 of which are bashing St. Louis for the sake of bashing St. Louis. Any particular experience that lead you to dislike St. Louis? If so, please share.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:30 PM

I don't want to self-promote by bumping my own 2-month old thread, but I figured this was the appropriate place to ask. Do you guys think the auto industry will ever return to the St. Louis area with the presence it once had? We used to have plants from all of the big 3 in the area (Ford in Hazelwood, Chrysler in Fenton, GM in Wentzville-I heard they also had a Corvette plant here until the 80s?), and then they all left when the US auto industry crumbled around 2006-2009. If the big three (or any foreign company) ever build a new plant, could they ever build in the St. Louis area, or is the auto industry in the St. Louis metro a bygone era?

Old 04-24-2014, 05:41 PM

1,848 posts, read 3,639,687 times
Doesn't GM in Wentzville still exist? I thought a facebook friend of mine posted that they're hiring a bunch.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
Doesn't GM in Wentzville still exist? I thought a facebook friend of mine posted that they're hiring a bunch.
I know that, but I'm asking if we'll ever get new factories. Besides, I know it's part of the overall metro area, but I don't know if Wentzville really counts in terms of contributions to the overall St. Louis area community-it's so far out there that it seems a bit isolated from the rest of the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis