Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2014, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,111 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Black Jack/Florrissant Mo any body have any info about the area? We chose this location because we found a house with the number of required bedrooms. Hope its low crime and plenty of friendly people with lots to do for small children.

Thanks for any info you have
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 09:50 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
Hello

I live in Florissant and love it here. With that said though, there are some areas of Black Jack that I personally wouldn't recommend (just as there are also some less desirable areas of Florissant). Crime in Black Jack is about on par with the national average, whereas Florissant is slightly lower. On the whole though, I'd say that there were more undesirable areas in Black Jack than there are in Florissant.

My husband and I have a young family (I have a 7 month old son, and another son due in May)- and while we haven't found there to be an abundance of young families in FloMo, there are a few, and I've been trying to put more effort into finding others with similarly aged babies (the subdivision I live in is mostly retirees and empty nesters, although there are a few exceptions).

One of the things that puts off young families from moving to the Florissant area, is the Ferg-Flor School District. While it's not dreadful, I've heard that it's not as great as it used to be and the schools don't rank very well on Great Schools.

School District wasn't an issue for us as we plan on homeschooling, and if that doesn't work out, we would send our kids private.

Depending where in Black Jack the house is though, you may be in the Hazelwood East School District, in which case I'd say stay far, far away if you plan on sending your kids to public school.

The friendly people bit is easy though- I've got the most amazing neighbors ever, and we've found an amazing church through which we've met a lot of great people who have helped us settle into the community better.

Florissant (as long as you reside within the city limits) has a lot of amenities and recreational activities for residents and children such as swimming lessons, sports, theater workshops, dance, and activities over the summer break. The local county libraries also do a lot of activities. This place really does have a lot going for it if you give it a chance, and if you choose the right neighborhood.

If you're not comfortable mentioning your subdivision or the street you're looking at on here, feel free to private message me and I could probably give you a better insight into that particular area.

Good Luck to you!

Old 04-01-2014, 01:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,758 times
We moved from Fort Worth, Texas to Black Jack in December 2013 and absolutely love it here. Our neighborhood is full of beautiful, well kept yards, tall trees, and lovely neighbors. We have had not a single negative issue since we came. We do have a 12 year old son that we home school, which was a factor in choosing the area. It is predominantly black, and we have no issues with that except that my son would be one of VERY few white kids in the public school. He does have neighborhood friends and again, no problems at all.

If you home school or private school I would say go for it. We rent and have a lovely, good sized 3 bedroom home (1800 square feet) with 2 living areas, a separate dining room, fireplace, 2 car garage, nice covered front porch and a huge walkout basement. Also a decent sized fenced yard for our 3 dogs! We pay $915 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: