Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 10:18 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,279 times

Advertisements

I'll be going to St. Louis (Ferguson specifically) to work for a little while.

I have been reading about "good" and "bad" areas of St. Louis. I looked at a map, and Ferguson seems to be in what looks like very much talked about "North County". Is that true? Or, is my map knowledge of the St. Louis area wrong? I've only been there once.

Anyone have an opinion about Ferguson, good or bad? You won't hurt my feelings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 08:40 AM

40 posts, read 144,743 times
Default Yes

It would be north county. Can't say anything good or bad about it since I've not been there in the 30+ years I've lived here. Never really had a reason to go to Ferguson. Maybe that says something.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:08 PM

223 posts, read 604,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeep View Post
It would be north county. Can't say anything good or bad about it since I've not been there in the 30+ years I've lived here. Never really had a reason to go to Ferguson. Maybe that says something.
Mostly lower-middle class and for the most part it is crappy, ghetto and unsafe. Sorry to burst your bubble.

I used to work EMS there and I wouldn't live there if I was given a free house.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:05 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,279 times
No prob.

I've been there once for a couple of days. Just wanted to see what other people said about it.

I think I'll be staying in a "decent" part of it (if there is such a thing).

Anyone else have any feelings about Ferguson, good or bad?

I'll take all the info I can get.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:52 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
I wouldn't make it my home for good, but it's hardly the ghetto. I think people that say things like that have never been to a real ghetto. there are plenty of good, honest working class families there. there are also those who aren't. There are far worse north county neighborhoods you could be in, and far better.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:47 PM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,224 times
There is a nice, historic section of homes in downtown Ferguson. There is a charming train station. It is also close to Florissant, which is still nice. Unfortunately, white flight is hitting the area hard as the older residents are picking up and moving to the far reaches of St. Charles County, and gangs and criminals are moving in. You will probably be surprised as to how nice North County looks, though, considering how much it is maligned on this website.

It is not the ghetto. It is, however, on the downturn. I wouldn't buy a house there right now, but it should be OK for you to live there for a few years. Don't drive into Castle Point or Jennings to the east, though. Very dangerous. I am not talking dangerous because I see a few black people (suburban sense of dangerous), or that gangs are killing off members of competing gangs (urban sense of dangerous), but dangerous in the sense that gangs are making hit lists of cops and federal agents and there are random shootings for no reason whatsoever.

You will be near the best pizza in the area, though.
Pirrones
Thank goodness I don't live in North County, or I would eat there every week.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:54 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Yeah I wouldn't go to Jennings on a regular basis. I have a friend who grew up there and she thinks it's fine, but it makes me nervous as hell.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:31 AM

5 posts, read 25,666 times
My family moved to Ferguson in 1978 and it was a very nice middle class area. In the late 80s most of my friends "migrated" towards St Charles and St Peters due to the crime. I just moved from there a few months ago and there were cops in our nice subdivision regularly. You're safe working and running errands but Ferguson has a large number of men who walk the main streets aimlessly.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:33 AM

287 posts, read 1,086,538 times
I haven't lived in Ferguson, so can't say anything about it. However, my old boss just moved from there, and it took her over a year to sell her home, which was a cute ranch in what looked like a nice neighborhood. I'd be wary of buying there.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:46 AM

4 posts, read 19,344 times
Default I actually live in Ferguson

My husband and I - both professional, educated people - have lived in a historic section of Ferguson for the past nine years. We paid $100K for a three-story house on a huge lot, and have not had one single problem since moving in. Our neighbors are diverse, interesting, mostly professional people. We have an awesome farmers market and several good restaurants that we can walk to. We can get anywhere in St. Louis in 15-20 minutes, with few traffic problems. And though our community is 50/50 black and white, and some residents are low-income, crime has never been an issue and we NEVER feel unsafe.

I think the community is especially desirable for empty nesters or people without children, as the public schools are not the best. (Private schools are good, however.) It's also ideal for people who like older homes with character and neighborhoods that are walkable and have beautiful, mature trees.

When our friends from other parts of St. Louis visit us, they are amazed at how nice Ferguson is. Yes, it is bordered by some less-than-great cities and yes, some parts are better than others, and yes, there are black people. Gasp! But in my experience, Ferguson is a bargain-priced gem of a city, and North County in general offers some of the most gorgeous parks and scenery in the whole metro area.

If you want a sterile, white-bread environment, miles from anything vibrant and interesting, go ahead and move to St. Charles. Personally, I'll save the gas money and enjoy my fun, quirky community here in Ferguson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis