U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 01:52 PM

2,327 posts, read 2,575,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ll0OoO0ll View Post
My sister lives in Houston and we did a rough math on this. There isn't much of a difference. They want your money and they will get you one way or the other.

Living in Austin; however, is on an average more expansive than in St. Louis.

I guess taxes wise, the cheapest state is Oklahoma while the most expensive states are Hawaii, CT, NJ, NY etc
That's pretty much how I figured it would be. Missouri has threatened property taxes off and on but they never offer to eliminate income tax. Once the money starts rolling in, we can't let go of it.

It's all right. I still prefer Missouri.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 02:20 PM

1,863 posts, read 3,745,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Once the money starts rolling in, we can't let go of it.
True story. My whole family still lives in Illinois and got to deal with the "temporary" income tax increase of 66% a few years ago. Not surprisingly, there's talk of making this permanent.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:46 PM

446 posts, read 366,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
True story. My whole family still lives in Illinois and got to deal with the "temporary" income tax increase of 66% a few years ago. Not surprisingly, there's talk of making this permanent.
Yep same here in NY.
The Throgs Neck Bridge, The Whitestone Bridge, and The GW bridge were built decades ago. They roughly collect $1 million PER DAY in tolls at each of these bridges, so techinically these bridges must have been paid off years and years ago.
And now instead of removing the bridge toll, they simply increase it every six months to a year to make a killing.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:25 PM

3,624 posts, read 4,803,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ll0OoO0ll View Post
Yep same here in NY.
The Throgs Neck Bridge, The Whitestone Bridge, and The GW bridge were built decades ago. They roughly collect $1 million PER DAY in tolls at each of these bridges, so techinically these bridges must have been paid off years and years ago.
And now instead of removing the bridge toll, they simply increase it every six months to a year to make a killing.
They did this with a bridge back in Australia where I grew up. They built the bridge in the 80s and told people that the tolls would only be in place until the cost of the bridge was paid off, which was estimated at about 20 years. Almost 30 years on, and guess what? The tolls are still there- and charging more than ever! Nice bit of profit for the government, I'm sure

Old 04-24-2014, 01:27 PM

59 posts, read 65,385 times
Talked to my mom about the stair lift and she was none too thrilled so that is not an option. It's a deal breaker for us for a bedroom on the main floor that isn't the master. I guess I shouldn't call it a guest bedroom because she isn't a guest. She is a member of the family.

Any thoughts on Wentzelville? Did I spell that right?
Mindi

Old 04-24-2014, 01:52 PM

3,624 posts, read 4,803,284 times
I'm not a huge Wentzville fan. It's way, way west along i70. Traffic along i70 can be pretty bad crossing the Missouri River during peak hours, across the Blanchette Bridge.

There has been a lot of development out in Wentzville in recent years, but it still isn't anywhere I would choose to live. It feels too isolated, geographically and emotionally from all of the wonderful things St. Louis proper has to offer. Plus, even though it has a tiny, tiny, old downtown, on the whole I feel it lacks a lot of charm.

The stereotype, whether it's true or not I'm not one to judge, is that Wentzville is the epicenter for the latest 'white flight' movement from St. Louis County. I think some people have the impression that Wentzville is where Caucasian families go if they're scared of the slightest hint of diversity. Of course, like I said, that's just the stereotype though.

With all of that said however, as a Mum, I prefer to be closer to all of the great things St. Louis proper has to offer. I would likely go stir crazy all the way out in Wentzville! No offense to anybody, but Wentzville puts off a very provincial vibe to me.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:29 PM

What about St. Peters?

Old 04-25-2014, 07:19 PM

446 posts, read 366,458 times
^^
Might as well, get a nice piece of land and do a small custom made home if you can afford it.
Here is an idea,

117 Sunnyside Ct, Ballwin, MO 63021 is For Sale - Zillow

Offer him $80K, spend another $10K to tear down and custom build a 2000 square footer for another $200K

Old 04-27-2014, 06:09 PM

So trying to research properties and their risk of Flood Plains. Tried Floodsmart.com but can not get it to work. Any ideas?

Old 04-28-2014, 12:48 PM

Location: inside, where it is warm or cool depending on the season
117 posts, read 106,530 times
Lightbulb smell smell everywhere a smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTN96 View Post
What about St. Peters?
I JUST got back from a lovely trip to St. Louis. St. Peters and highway 70 would and should be avoided. During a rush hour commute to/from the airport it will get really bad. I know you get more bang for your buck and there are newer homes out there but quality of life due to the commute...

ALSO good news to report from St. Louis. The 270/70 earth city dump is on fire. They are worried the urainium buried in the 1940's post WWII might catch fire but so far it is ok, they think. If you live in St. Peters your hubby would most likely not enjoy driving past this awful smell.

If you decide to live in St. Peters anyway then live inside/south of 70 and you won't have to worry about flooding.

With the recent dump revelations I'd stay at least 15 miles from it. The smell is getting worse and summer is coming. If uranium leaks out...well let's hope it doesn't.

St. Louis has a lot of offer, science center, magic house, Tilles Park, longview park is a favorite (for kids under 12), whole foods, the zoo, city museum, history museum, forest park, the arch, Laumeier Sculpture Park, botanical garden, delmar loop, CWE (central west end-parking is horrible), cardinals baseball, blues hockey and eventually the Rams will turn it around and much more.

To be in the middle of all these wonderful aspects of St. Louis I recommend the brentwood/ladue area. 170 is an easy commute to the airport and keeps you away from the dump and bridge traffic. Also glendale, warson woods, rock hill (170 to airport) and creve coeur area (away from the dump so south and east) is good. St. Peters is far away from STL's cultural center - which is the best part of STL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or