Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 05:09 PM

662 posts, read 1,049,121 times

Advertisements

I'm always hearing about people saying how low cost living in St. Louis is. How? I mean, I've lived in Seattle and D.C. (Suburbs). What comparison is there? I live in St. Louis currently, but the more 'desirable' places are more expensive. But isn't this true in every single major metropolitan area? I guess if you factor in Forest Park, the Zoo and other amenities. But I'm still not seeing the low cost.

For example, I'm looking at a few homes to move to, and the prices in West County seem to be similar to the prices in North County if I were to rent (starting prices). Especially if I were to limit my housing to the good school districts, I'm not seeing a low cost.

WHERE IS THIS LOW COST?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 05:45 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,167,747 times
West County? You're looking at the most expensive region of StL county. Have you tried South County, around Webster Groves, Kirkwood, Crestwood, Affton, and Sunset Hills? That area is cheaper but still has good schools (Lindbergh and Kirkwood school districts are both good). Give that area a try.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:38 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
I've noticed in a lot of cities you pay for good schools and it's no different here in St. Louis.

Here you pay for quality construction. Most affordable homes in the suburbs especially St. Charles County have poor construction.

Dollar for dollar I'm living better here then I was in Chicago. If I was a suburbanite, there would probably be a smaller gap in the cost of living.

You have to enjoy your city to make it worth what you pay.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 07-05-2014 at 08:58 AM..

Old 07-05-2014, 12:14 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times
Rent has skyrocketed everywhere in the last three years. The places in Seattle and DC that rented three years ago for the prices in St Louis now, have probably increase 50-100% in the last three years.
The low cost is really in purchasing here.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:35 PM

20 posts, read 22,968 times
I've come from Oklahoma City and the prices compared to there to Saint Louis are cheap as ever. I say it due to the amount of apartments that are available. More to choose from drives the prices down. We live in Gallery 400. We're paying $1200 for a 2 bed room. Which for the location, we would have paid almost $2000 in Oklahoma City.

I will say the other things are more expensive here. Cost of food and gas are a lot higher than I'm used to. However, with the money we're saving, it'll improve and balance out.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:43 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBobble View Post
I'm always hearing about people saying how low cost living in St. Louis is. How? I mean, I've lived in Seattle and D.C. (Suburbs). What comparison is there? I live in St. Louis currently, but the more 'desirable' places are more expensive. But isn't this true in every single major metropolitan area? I guess if you factor in Forest Park, the Zoo and other amenities. But I'm still not seeing the low cost.
Well yeah, the more desirable places are more expensive. But do you really think the desirable places to live in St. Louis are the same price as the desirable places to live in Seattle or D.C? We looked into moving to both Seattle and D.C. before deciding to move back to St. Louis. We never found any decent places to rent that were less than a $1,000. Here in St. Louis our rent is $600.

I'm sure groceries are cheaper here then they were in Seattle. I know they're a lot cheaper then when I lived just outside of San Francisco.

Gas is over $4 in both Seattle and D.C. depending on how much you drive paying almost a $1 more per gallon can really start to add up.

Edited to add: It seems like you got your question answered a few years ago in a similar thread you started:

How is St. Louis a low-cost to live place?

Last edited by Sundaydrive00; 07-05-2014 at 04:48 PM..

Old 07-06-2014, 10:40 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Well yeah, the more desirable places are more expensive. But do you really think the desirable places to live in St. Louis are the same price as the desirable places to live in Seattle or D.C?

Edited to add: It seems like you got your question answered a few years ago in a similar thread you started:

How is St. Louis a low-cost to live place?
I was pretty much going to say the same thing!

Also, good find with the link! Since the OP has asked the exact same question on here before it makes me wonder if he is trolling or just has a very short memory?

Old 07-07-2014, 02:25 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,077,935 times
I can only comment coming to St. Louis from San Antonio that we were shocked at rent here. We are paying $2500 a month for a house in Manchester that would be $1700 in San Antonio. For $2500 a month there, you could be in an exclusive gated area. Having said that, I wouldn't go back to that dump of a town if you gave me a house for free.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:23 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,883 times
I think it depends on where you want to live. In West County and the nice inner suburbs, I'd agree that the "discount" factor isn't as significant, but still exists. However, I don't know many other "hot" cities where you can rent an apartment on your own for $500/month in a safe area. I just moved back from Denver and in the areas we were looking (largely south city), the homes here were 50% or more "discounted" as compared to the city of Denver. Our quality of life and walking distance amenities and features have not really changed, or have improved. I was used to having homeless people sleeping on my porch or alleyway--no more of that here

Old 07-08-2014, 08:32 AM

242 posts, read 1,002,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
I can only comment coming to St. Louis from San Antonio that we were shocked at rent here. We are paying $2500 a month for a house in Manchester that would be $1700 in San Antonio. For $2500 a month there, you could be in an exclusive gated area. Having said that, I wouldn't go back to that dump of a town if you gave me a house for free.
When you say dump are you speaking of St. Louis or San Antonio?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis