U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which do you think is most true? (pick more than one)
The officer did not commit murder, he was in imminent danger. 84 62.69%
Police are guilty of murder and we have the RIGHT to be in the streets! 12 8.96%
In light of the volitility, a curfew is understandable. 47 35.07%
Police should wear body cameras at all times. 74 55.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-13-2014, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Missouri
592 posts, read 666,388 times
Reputation: 549

Advertisements

I'm black and I live in the area. I have a college degree and I work 45-50 hours a week. I'm disgusted by the looting.. Those people are low-life, self-serving people and I'm glad that over 30 of them were caught and arrested. Please note that most of those people are not even from Ferguson. It's unfortunate that they took advantage of the situation and decided to destroy our community....BUT you cannot classify all black people or all people of Ferguson based on the actions of a few.

Several issues are at play in this situation. The Ferguson police Department does not adequately represent the population they are expected to protect. The population in Ferguson, MO is approx 21,000 people. Of those 21,000 people, 70% are black. There are 53 officers in the Ferguson Police Department. 3 of those officers are black and only one of them is a black male. This is a 95% white police force representing a population that is 70% black. They have no connection to the people they are supposed to protect, this is a problem especially in a city like St. Louis, which is ranked as the 6th most segregated city in the country. This police is set up to collect money, not to help people. I've attached a file that shows the break down of how they interact with white citizens vs black citizens. They do not have any dash cams in their vehicles, you should think about that. That's a problem!
My friend and I were stuck on the side of a fairly busy road in Ferguson, waiting for AAA for 2 hours. More than 9 squad cars drove past us doing rounds and never stopped once to see if we needed help!!

People are upset because there is a trend of police officers abusing their power AND getting away with it.
If you are not familiar, please look up these cases: Sean Bell, Oscar Grant, Amadou Diallo, Eric Garner, Trayvon Martin, and now Michael Brown. I guarantee if white teenagers were unarmed and being killed like this, the officers would be prosecuted. I mean James Holmes killed 12 people and injured more than 50 without a doubt and he's still alive to live through a fair trial? How does that make sense?! And that was white on white crime!

The body of Michael Brown was left in the street for 4 hours....meanwhile, the officer in question was allowed to leave the scene. I don't even know how that's allowed if this is an investigation. The lead witness has not been interviewed by the police yet...They still haven't released the name of the officer or any information about him. But they showed 10 of the looters pictures and names on the news.
Things are not adding up and people need to ask questions and think critically.

I attended one of the demonstrations and it was very peaceful. And contrary to what many believe, there were also Caucasian people in attendance.... this is race driven but we are dealing with a bigger issue(elite vs everyone else). The demonstration was very peaceful, then law enforcement ordered the media out of the area. After that happened, they claim that violence broke out. That just doesn't make sense. An area that is saturated with police presence, armored swat vehicles, helicopter spotlights and military weapons breaks out in random violence?

I feel sorry for any racists on either side who can't wake up and see that something strange is going on..
Attached Files
File Type: txt info.txt (3.9 KB, 74 views)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-13-2014, 05:32 PM
 
Location: Texas
2,394 posts, read 3,447,673 times
Reputation: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Improve View Post
I'm black and I live in the area. I have a college degree and I work 45-50 hours a week. I'm disgusted by the looting.. Those people are low-life, self-serving people and I'm glad that over 30 of them were caught and arrested. Please note that most of those people are not even from Ferguson. It's unfortunate that they took advantage of the situation and decided to destroy our community....BUT you cannot classify all black people or all people of Ferguson based on the actions of a few.

Several issues are at play in this situation. The Ferguson police Department does not adequately represent the population they are expected to protect. The population in Ferguson, MO is approx 21,000 people. Of those 21,000 people, 70% are black. There are 53 officers in the Ferguson Police Department. 3 of those officers are black and only one of them is a black male. This is a 95% white police force representing a population that is 70% black. They have no connection to the people they are supposed to protect, this is a problem especially in a city like St. Louis, which is ranked as the 6th most segregated city in the country. This police is set up to collect money, not to help people. I've attached a file that shows the break down of how they interact with white citizens vs black citizens. They do not have any dash cams in their vehicles, you should think about that. That's a problem!
My friend and I were stuck on the side of a fairly busy road in Ferguson, waiting for AAA for 2 hours. More than 9 squad cars drove past us doing rounds and never stopped once to see if we needed help!!

People are upset because there is a trend of police officers abusing their power AND getting away with it.
If you are not familiar, please look up these cases: Sean Bell, Oscar Grant, Amadou Diallo, Eric Garner, Trayvon Martin, and now Michael Brown. I guarantee if white teenagers were unarmed and being killed like this, the officers would be prosecuted. I mean James Holmes killed 12 people and injured more than 50 without a doubt and he's still alive to live through a fair trial? How does that make sense?! And that was white on white crime!

The body of Michael Brown was left in the street for 4 hours....meanwhile, the officer in question was allowed to leave the scene. I don't even know how that's allowed if this is an investigation. The lead witness has not been interviewed by the police yet...They still haven't released the name of the officer or any information about him. But they showed 10 of the looters pictures and names on the news.
Things are not adding up and people need to ask questions and think critically.

I attended one of the demonstrations and it was very peaceful. And contrary to what many believe, there were also Caucasian people in attendance.... this is race driven but we are dealing with a bigger issue(elite vs everyone else). The demonstration was very peaceful, then law enforcement ordered the media out of the area. After that happened, they claim that violence broke out. That just doesn't make sense. An area that is saturated with police presence, armored swat vehicles, helicopter spotlights and military weapons breaks out in random violence?

I feel sorry for any racists on either side who can't wake up and see that something strange is going on..
Thank you for this. Riots and looting are self-destructive and stupid, but the shooting troubles me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2014, 05:51 PM
 
268 posts, read 281,465 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike b1 View Post
Have you seen the statistics for Black crime? Do you think it's all "made up"?
Blacks are arrested disproportionately because they commit huge amounts of crime..
You get passed over for jobs because of your race? I seriously doubt that.Have you ever considered that you are simply paranoid?
You say this kid was "doing nothing"...You don't know that...Just the fact that you reflexively side with the Black kid shows racism...
I say lets wait for some facts. And looters are thieves and arsonists are potential murderers. they should be shot on sight...

oh please look at st louis county a police state if i ever seen one i was more comfortable in saudi arabia with police carrying uzis around than st louis county. it is nothing to see 7 unneeded police depts on I-70 at 2am from st ann to the city line trolling for ticket money.edmondson policeman adams hanging around that gas station across from the airport pulling over black guys beacuse they had hats on backwards.


You get passed over for jobs because of your race? I seriously doubt that. put the crack pipe down sir, if i will shoot a unarmed afro american person like mike dunn or zimmermann in fla what make you think i will not pass them over for jobs.


]Have you seen the statistics for Black crime? Do you think it's all "made up"?
Blacks are arrested disproportionately because they commit huge amounts of crime..

and do you know how many of those arrest are bogus and thrown out of court? or

And looters are thieves and arsonists are potential murderers. they should be shot on sight...[/quote]

you do not say this when college football fans burn stuff and turn over poilce cars at the univ of michigan or some other school
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2014, 06:07 PM
 
Location: StlNoco Mo
6,306 posts, read 4,669,445 times
Reputation: 7689
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchseven View Post
oh please look at st louis county a police state if i ever seen one i was more comfortable in saudi arabia with police carrying uzis around than st louis county. it is nothing to see 7 unneeded police depts on I-70 at 2am from st ann to the city line trolling for ticket money.edmondson policeman adams hanging around that gas station across from the airport pulling over black guys beacuse they had hats on backwards.


You get passed over for jobs because of your race? I seriously doubt that. put the crack pipe down sir, if i will shoot a unarmed afro american person like mike dunn or zimmermann in fla what make you think i will not pass them over for jobs.


]Have you seen the statistics for Black crime? Do you think it's all "made up"?
Blacks are arrested disproportionately because they commit huge amounts of crime..

and do you know how many of those arrest are bogus and thrown out of court? or

And looters are thieves and arsonists are potential murderers. they should be shot on sight...
you do not say this when college football fans burn stuff and turn over poilce cars at the univ of michigan or some other school[/quote]

I'm surprised Edmundson is still there. I thought it would be vaporized by the airport like Carrollton was, or at least absorbed into Woodson Terrace. It was shrinking 40 years ago when I lived down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2014, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Missouri
592 posts, read 666,388 times
Reputation: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
BREAKING: FBI Confirms NEW BLACK PANTHER LEADER Is in StL Area Encouraging Violence Against Cops | The Gateway Pundit

New blank panthers in town promoting violence against cops...I realize I'm linking a right wing blog but he's relying on reports from an actual reporter who claims to have confirmed it with the FBI.

That's probably not helpful.

The comments on that page are all racist.. also, there are no facts in this article. You let the media fool you again because you're caught up on race. Please look up Cointelpro and understand why the FBI would not be confirming any new black panthers.....they would be killing black panthers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2014, 06:50 PM
 
Location: St Louis, MO
4,677 posts, read 4,815,780 times
Reputation: 2971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Improve View Post
Several issues are at play in this situation. The Ferguson police Department does not adequately represent the population they are expected to protect. The population in Ferguson, MO is approx 21,000 people. Of those 21,000 people, 70% are black. There are 53 officers in the Ferguson Police Department. 3 of those officers are black and only one of them is a black male. This is a 95% white police force representing a population that is 70% black.
Realize though that in the last 20 years, Ferguson has flipped from a 75% white town to a 70% black town from massive and rapid white flight. And, along with Florissant, they are one of the oldest (in age of officers) departments in the region. A lot of those officers were likely hired when the demographics of Ferguson were very different.

And frankly, even before this no one wanted to work for Ferguson. Black officers coming out of academy here are heavily recruited by quality departments with higher pay and have zero incentive to ever work for Ferguson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2014, 06:53 PM
 
12 posts, read 21,662 times
Reputation: 11
There are many police departments that are falling over themselves to hire minority officers, and when a qualified applicant comes along they go right to the top of the waiting list. If there aren't very many African American officers in Ferguson it's probably because there aren't any qualified applicants. Can't blame a PD for not magically creating AA police officers.


And James Holmes is alive because he didn't assault any cops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2014, 07:35 PM
 
5,611 posts, read 6,084,198 times
Reputation: 4184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosario82 View Post
There are many police departments that are falling over themselves to hire minority officers, and when a qualified applicant comes along they go right to the top of the waiting list. If there aren't very many African American officers in Ferguson it's probably because there aren't any qualified applicants. Can't blame a PD for not magically creating AA police officers.


And James Holmes is alive because he didn't assault any cops.
Where are police department falling all over themselves trying to hire Black officers?

Evidently as we can see from the Michael Brown and several other cases the White police officers are not that qualified either.

There is still discrimination in America. You probably don't see it because of personal issues that have been revealed in your posts. That's okay. A closed mind will never grow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2014, 07:38 PM
 
Location: Missouri
592 posts, read 666,388 times
Reputation: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosario82 View Post
There are many police departments that are falling over themselves to hire minority officers, and when a qualified applicant comes along they go right to the top of the waiting list. If there aren't very many African American officers in Ferguson it's probably because there aren't any qualified applicants. Can't blame a PD for not magically creating AA police officers.


And James Holmes is alive because he didn't assault any cops.
Oh yeah. A heavily armed gunmen shooting a movie theater full of innocent people of all ages is not a threat. My bad, I forgot. And what proof do you have that he assaulted the cop? Have you at least heard any witnesses say that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2014, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Missouri
592 posts, read 666,388 times
Reputation: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Realize though that in the last 20 years, Ferguson has flipped from a 75% white town to a 70% black town from massive and rapid white flight. And, along with Florissant, they are one of the oldest (in age of officers) departments in the region. A lot of those officers were likely hired when the demographics of Ferguson were very different.

And frankly, even before this no one wanted to work for Ferguson. Black officers coming out of academy here are heavily recruited by quality departments with higher pay and have zero incentive to ever work for Ferguson.
That's even more reason why a Ferguson cop might be disgruntled or more likely to overeact to a situation. Or why they would see me stranded on a busy road and offer no help..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top