Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think is most true? (pick more than one)
The officer did not commit murder, he was in imminent danger. 84 62.69%
Police are guilty of murder and we have the RIGHT to be in the streets! 12 8.96%
In light of the volitility, a curfew is understandable. 47 35.07%
Police should wear body cameras at all times. 74 55.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 09:48 AM

367 posts, read 761,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Now Jay Nixon is on national TV blaming rioting on the release of the robbery video. Right.
Was that is exact quote or are you modifying his words to suit your biased agenda? There are too many online resources at reader's fingertips for your position to be taken seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 09:53 AM

7,442 posts, read 6,959,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vols44 View Post
Was that is exact quote or are you modifying his words to suit your biased agenda? There are too many online resources at reader's fingertips for your position to be taken seriously.
Then look it up. Face the Nation.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:02 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,733,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
So... my husband and I have officially decided to save up to move. We're thinking Eureka or Wildwood. And yes, it is because of all of this. :/
I think that's on a lot of people's minds. I know there are a lot of very excited realtors out there right about now.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:03 AM

219 posts, read 374,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jskirwin View Post
I spent a year living in Africa among people subsisting on about a dollar a day. They had their own work ethic and heritage, and knew that the key to improving their lot was education. I have seen parents bankrupt themselves in order to send their children to school, pay for their uniforms and books, and make sure they would lead better lives. I've also seen families send their kids out to beg instead of to school while the parents slept around, drank and did drugs. This was in small villages on the shore of Lake Tanganyika in Tanzania.

These two groups came from the same tribe and had the same skin color, yet their cultures were completely different. Why was one driven for a better life and the other not?

The poverty you see on the streets of Arusha Tanzania or in Nairobi Kenya is nothing comparable to American poverty. I live in one of the poorest counties of my state and many of my poor neighbors have new $40k pickup trucks in front of their single-wides with DirecTV satellite dishes on the roof. Meanwhile my car is 15 years old and has 200k miles on it.

Your reliance on an institution assumes that people are too stupid to know what's best for them.
I don't believe this. These people aren't stupid. Their priorities are different than mine - I'd rather have a nice house and a junker car - but they are just as intelligent as I am; They've just chosen different paths. Like the Africans I lived with some chose the harder path of working for a better future while the others expected to be taken care of.

And many whites aren't. Most of the poor living in my county are whites. This also doesn't explain why Africans from the Caribbean and Africa have thrived as immigrants, or why Indians and other Asians have surpassed African-Americans in wealth. Today Hispanics are about to do the same. What it does tell me is that the African-American culture that glorifies thuggery, misogyny, racism, and denigrates education and hard work. Contrary to what PC thinking states, all cultures are not equal and I'd question the health of modern African-American culture.

Who is "we"? And what are we supposed to learn from this? What does burning down a shoe store or terrorizing motorists by jumping on their cars say to your neighbors?

I'm not claiming to have any answers and I'm deeply suspicious of those who do. These are complex problems and as such defy easy solutions.
Very well said! This post is spot on!

Old 08-17-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchseven View Post
those stores got insurance what on earth are you talking about??
Having insurance does not make it okay....Geesh

Old 08-17-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Although the trend lines have been bad for north county for some time, I don't see it recovering from this. Hope I'm wrong.
It may end up like Cairo, 'Illinois...similar events years ago...now a ghost town with many burnt and damaged buildings that remain unrepaired and never torn down

Old 08-17-2014, 11:46 AM

7,442 posts, read 6,959,103 times
Default another take on some of the new facts coming to light...

A Witness Conversation Unknowingly Captured at the Scene of the Ferguson Shooting is a Game-Changer

Old 08-17-2014, 12:19 PM

19,638 posts, read 9,960,197 times
This is a virus. Do not open.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:57 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,506,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
Am I the only person who thinks the curfew is a great idea? Everyone is saying that they think it's terrible and no one will listen. What they don't realize is that in instances like last night, the looters mixed in with the peaceful protest crowd, making it hard to respond to the looters without affecting the law-abiding protesters. Now that the curfew is out the law-abiding protesters will return home while the riff-raff remain, leaving them unshielded by innocents and opening them up to a direct response by police. The curfew is basically a filter. Seems like a good idea to me.

It is a good idea, but having a curfew start at midnight is a stupid idea. By then you have the troublemakers out and about.

You have a curfew start much earlier. During the 92 riots in LA we had to be inside by nightfall. Yes, it was a PITA but it got it under control.

It's amazing to me that a week later and this is still going in a town in Missouri. When it was brought under control much quicker in the nations second largest city in well under a week.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:13 PM

13,941 posts, read 14,818,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It is a good idea, but having a curfew start at midnight is a stupid idea. By then you have the troublemakers out and about.

You have a curfew start much earlier. During the 92 riots in LA we had to be inside by nightfall. Yes, it was a PITA but it got it under control.

It's amazing to me that a week later and this is still going in a town in Missouri. When it was brought under control much quicker in the nations second largest city in well under a week.
The LA riots were more pressing because there were multiple Fatalities (58) so it was imperative to stop them immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis