Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think is most true? (pick more than one)
The officer did not commit murder, he was in imminent danger. 84 62.69%
Police are guilty of murder and we have the RIGHT to be in the streets! 12 8.96%
In light of the volitility, a curfew is understandable. 47 35.07%
Police should wear body cameras at all times. 74 55.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 01:49 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The LA riots were more pressing because there were multiple Fatalities (58) so it was imperative to stop them immediately.
I agree they more pressing due to the fact that they were more widespread.

But for this to still be going on a week later and not getting under control, and than to have a curfew starting at midnight is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 02:21 PM

317 posts, read 328,716 times
I guess the police don't want to be tougher on looters, because they don't want to be seen as racist.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:42 PM

367 posts, read 765,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
This is a virus. Do not open.
Thank you Floorist. I like reputable sites and frank discussion and choose what I want to see and read without unnecessary distractions or problems.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:13 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,074,903 times
Shooting of Michael Brown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-17-2014, 04:03 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbt1766 View Post
I guess the police don't want to be tougher on looters, because they don't want to be seen as racist.
What?

Are you one of these racists who don't know the difference between looters and protesters in Ferguson?

I can't believe the thought process.

Old 08-17-2014, 05:11 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,306,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
This is a virus. Do not open.
No it's not.

Old 08-17-2014, 05:40 PM

112 posts, read 131,591 times
I think the problems in Ferguson go far beyond the Michael Brown incident. The below article by the NY Times highlights a history of tension between the police force and the community:

Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/17/us...T.nav=top-news

In Ferguson, residents say most racial tensions have to do with an overzealous police force.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:01 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,747,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
What?

Are you one of these racists who don't know the difference between looters and protesters in Ferguson?

I can't believe the thought process.
Do you really think that if the police shot and killed looters or those breaking the curfew the people protesting would be A-okay with that? The tone of all of this unrest seems to be characterized by the theory that any force used against the African American community by the police is per se racist. Look at the reaction by the protesters at the mere suggestion that Michael Brown may have robbed the convenience store and might not actually be the "gentle giant' they claimed him to be. I don't think it's totally unreasonable for the police to fear unloading on the looters in order to avoid further allegations of "racism."

Old 08-17-2014, 07:01 PM

208 posts, read 235,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
I don't think it's totally unreasonable for the police to fear unloading on the looters in order to avoid further allegations of "racism."
These cries of racism really does get old and the word simply loses all meaning from overuse. Not that the word had any meaning in the first place. People just say it when they don't know what else to say.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:03 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,011,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
Do you really think that if the police shot and killed looters or those breaking the curfew the people protesting would be A-okay with that? The tone of all of this unrest seems to be characterized by the theory that any force used against the African American community by the police is per se racist. Look at the reaction by the protesters at the mere suggestion that Michael Brown may have robbed the convenience store and might not actually be the "gentle giant' they claimed him to be. I don't think it's totally unreasonable for the police to fear unloading on the looters in order to avoid further allegations of "racism."
You are hitting on something that has been bothering me. This has arisen with the Trayvon Martin case, now Brown and others. I'm not sure I can articulate this well - but it goes something like this. The developing mantra is you simply cannot interfere with a young black male. Should they wish to strong-arm rob a convenience store, like Brown did, you have to let it happen and not bring it up. Should they wish to attack a neighborhood watch guy who dares question why they are there at night, like Zimmerman did - there is something wrong with asking the question. Now- in Ferguson, should they wish to loot, you shouldn't try to stop it- in fact, don't even question it.

How low do we drop the bar of civilization - what can be reasonably expected?

And I say that and I know the majority of the black folks out there protesting are not rioters, looters, or thugs - but it seems there is a very dysfunctional minority that wreaks extreme havoc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis