Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think is most true? (pick more than one)
The officer did not commit murder, he was in imminent danger. 84 62.69%
Police are guilty of murder and we have the RIGHT to be in the streets! 12 8.96%
In light of the volitility, a curfew is understandable. 47 35.07%
Police should wear body cameras at all times. 74 55.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 04:28 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbt1766 View Post
How much do you know about people being shot by the police and then being left uncovered? How many hours exactly was he lying there? Have you seen a statistic somewhere about the average time it takes the cops to cover a body? How do you know this isn't normal?

Is there a different body cover up time for blacks versus other races? You don't know any of these answers, you're just make a blind guess.
Fair questions. The truth is I don't know. I heard the body was lying out there for several hours (maybe three or four) which seems like a long time. I realise it takes time to do the investigation but they seemed to have taken their sweet time about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 04:46 PM

854 posts, read 1,140,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I can answer question # 2 for you, police officers are trained to shoot for center mass to stop the threat.TV cops shooting people in the arm or leg to stop them is just what TV cops do.
Are they trained to empty the magazine into the assailant?

Old 08-18-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
I just now got around to watching the video and I gotta say, I think the community of Ferguson has a right to be upset. Regardless of whatever the reasons for the shooting, the way the police handled it afterwards was completely disrespectful and appalling. Why was there no tarp over the body? What sort of police force does that?

I believe that disrespect is the sort of animosity that blacks feel towards the white establishment. It's bad enough that the cop was "upset" that he was getting away, but then when he's shot dead in the street, the police don't even bother to cover him? It just goes to show how much respect that police force has for that community and probably sees every black resident who lives there as a criminal.

First and foremost, a police force is supposed to communicate with the community it serves and act as a part of the community."Uncles in blue" as people would call them. Any police officer should be ashamed of how Ferguson's department has handled this situation from the start. Both the encounter between the kid and the officer to the dramatic response to the protesting and rioting. They're all signs of an establishment that doesn't see its citizens as equal. The rioting is bad, yes, but the community is justified in its anger towards the establishment just based on the response of the police.

This whole thing was over a kid jaywalking! (the cop didn't know at the time about the previous robbery, even then still shooting the kid would have been excessive force) Is this how police enforce laws? I believe police to be trained to shoot first ask questions later when dealing with minorities rather than actually spend time in these communities and try to build a sense of trust. The clear message from the Ferguson Police Department is "We don't like you, obey by our rules or else".

The smartest thing for FPD is to concede that what occurred was a mistake. By trying to justify their actions, they are, knowingly or unknowingly, reinforcing the idea that they have absolute oppression over its citizens and can get away with anything. No matter how much evidence comes out, it doesn't really point to an officer acting in self-defense, rather it's more like a officer upset someone didn't respect his authority. An authority that basically says "your life is not worth as much as mine because your are black".

Even a lot of the comments "protect the businesses from looters!" implies that objects and money that can be replaced are more valuable than the lives of those doing the looting. But hey, it's not racism or anything, but you can't deny that it's not dehumanizing.

I agree totally!

Old 08-18-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
What you wrote is pure garbage. People who look suspicious get stopped by the police no matter what race. If you look like a thug of any race or you're doing something suspicious it increases the chance of getting stopped by police.

If you're a black man professionally dressed and you're driving to work in a non-pimped out vehicle there is little chance you'll be stopped.
What you are basically saying here is if you aren't wealthy than why are you surprised the police pulled you over?

Old 08-18-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
The evidence is starting to confirm the cop was in the right to shoot Brown. What is the average time that it takes most police departments to cover a dead person? You would have to know that answer in order to say that this police department is doing something out of the ordinary. Otherwise you're just guessing or making something up.

This community has no right to get angry until all the evidence has been presented. They made their minds up before the case was fully investigated.

White racist just love all this looting and rioting it gives them a pedestal to stand on.
Did he have the right to shoot Brown 10 times at point blank range? Not sure what you mean with your white racist comment as if whites don't already control everything. Maybe black folks in that town are sick of the behavior of the Furgeson Police Department. When you have been forced to live in poverty looting starts to make a lot of sense when your oppressors are the victims of it. Not justifiying the looters actions if there actually where any looters to begin with.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:55 PM

317 posts, read 328,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
So says white people. Also shouldn't anybody be able to dress and drive whatever kind of car they want to without being targeted by the police. Come on, you know it's true. Blacks are targeted by police and you know it. Look at the ridiculous incarceration rates in this county, your telling me that just as many white people aren't committing similar crimes considering they make up about 80% of the U.S. Population. Give me a ****ing break. Unfortunately people will continue to believe what I am saying is pure garbage right up until the point that the storm troopers patrol is knocking on their door.

I don't have a problem with police stopping people based on how they look, they catch a lot of people that way. When I was younger I drove a car that got a good deal of police attention and I'm white.

Blacks commit more crimes as a percent of their population. I can understand why blacks commit more crimes over the last 50 years they've had more hurdles to overcome. They aren't getting the extra education that they need to overcome all their problems.

If red heads committed 90% of the crime in a city it would justify police stopping more red heads.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Fair questions. The truth is I don't know. I heard the body was lying out there for several hours (maybe three or four) which seems like a long time. I realise it takes time to do the investigation but they seemed to have taken their sweet time about it.

I have no idea what the average time is, so I'm not going to stick my foot in my mouth and say the cops took too long in this case.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
What you are basically saying here is if you aren't wealthy than why are you surprised the police pulled you over?

Not all poor people look like thugs. Not all people who look like thugs are thugs. Not all people who look like thugs are poor either.

I'm not a cop and I profile people of every race for my own safety.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Are they trained to empty the magazine into the assailant?
How many rounds did this cop have? How many bullets were fired? I believe someone said 6 bullets. I'm pretty sure 6 bullets isn't all the bullets the cop had.

If you are being bull rushed you keep firing until the person is down. I saw a video of a cop that showed the cop shooting a person several times and the person was still fighting with the cop.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
I don't have a problem with police stopping people based on how they look, they catch a lot of people that way. When I was younger I drove a car that got a good deal of police attention and I'm white.

Blacks commit more crimes as a percent of their population. I can understand why blacks commit more crimes over the last 50 years they've had more hurdles to overcome. They aren't getting the extra education that they need to overcome all their problems.

If red heads committed 90% of the crime in a city it would justify police stopping more red heads.
Black people do not commit more crimes as a percentage of their population, they are convicted of more, big difference there. They are harassed and pulled over with intent to search the vehicle on more occasions. Just as high of percentage of white people commit crimes for things that African Americans have been convicted for. The difference being white guy with broken taillight gets a warning and is told to fix taillight, black guy is thrown to the ground and a dog is run through his car. White guy had an ounce of cocaine under his car hood, goes home and continues selling drugs. black guy has same amount of drugs, goes to prison for ten years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis