Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think is most true? (pick more than one)
The officer did not commit murder, he was in imminent danger. 84 62.69%
Police are guilty of murder and we have the RIGHT to be in the streets! 12 8.96%
In light of the volitility, a curfew is understandable. 47 35.07%
Police should wear body cameras at all times. 74 55.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 04:31 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,025,311 times

Advertisements

I was not impressed with your Gov Nixon's campaign speech, err statement, in which he said "justice for Mike Brown", in every other sentence. Three minute prepared statement. Somewhere around a half dozen "justice for.... references.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 04:37 PM

203 posts, read 269,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
I was not impressed with your Gov Nixon's campaign speech, err statement, in which he said "justice for Mike Brown", in every other sentence. Three minute prepared statement. Somewhere around a half dozen "justice for.... references.
Yeah, it should just be "justice for all" not just for Mike Brown. With that said, the guy is trying to tamp down some raw feelings so I can kind of, I mean just barely, understand why he put it that way.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:24 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,070,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector2 View Post
There is no "guilt thing" on my part. I feel fortunate, but not guilty. Maybe I've worked hard (that's debatable), but I've also received, and continue to receive, a ton of help from family and friends.

From reading your posts, I can't help but believe that you are sidetracked on the issue of people taking advantage of government social welfare programs. No doubt there is abuse there. But that doesn't have anything to do with some of the structural obstacles in the way of the poor and middle class in StL that I think can be fixed and give people a better shot.

For example, I explained that Ferguson derives a bunch of its revenue from court fines and fees mostly from piddly traffic violations. This has an outsize effect on the poor and middle class. If you've ever driven through north county or read the newspaper, you know how many municipalities are aggressive in traffic policing--so much so that the former StL County Police Chief publicly decried their tactics. Of course, they're aggressive because these municipalities have to fund their governments but have no other reliable source to make up for lost court revenue.

So why not push our elected officials to consolidate these municipalities thereby saving some money and keeping the police from hassling drivers making rolling right turns or trying to get to work? (And the north county municipalities are not the only guilty ones on this count). I'm not saying we need to consolidate everything into one right away. As an added benefit, we would reduce these battles among municipalities to keep and lure away businesses through tax incentives.

And it will take a major push from constituents, for the most powerful people live in municipalities that function very well for the most part or that are easily influenced because of the small nature of the local government.

While we are at consolidating, how about consolidating some school districts, too and getting them run by the competent ones. How many financial scandals have we seen involving school districts and overpaid, extraneous administrators? We should also adjust school funding so it is not so dependent on local property taxes. Again, this will take some doing as those who are happy with their district will complain that resources are going to some other place. But our region will go nowhere without a well-functioning school system.

Those are just a couple of things you could support.
Don't mean to side-track us...I was just frustrated at the media spin on this mess. I do actually blame the media for a lot of the side-tracking and pitting people against each other. Frankly, it's getting old. That's why I want real solutions- not Band-Aid remedies. Also, no more hating on those of us who might enjoy a better way of life due to better choices.
I will think about and research your points; as you know, I'm fairly new in moving back here. Thank you for your debate/discussion.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:50 PM

208 posts, read 234,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Whites do self segregate when the minority population starts to increase significantly.
How dare people exercise the option to live where they choose.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:18 PM

335 posts, read 404,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Many black folks believe the cop was not in the wrong also.
would like to hear from those (not that I question they are there)

Old 08-22-2014, 09:29 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,733,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Whites do self segregate when the minority population starts to increase significantly. It happens all over America.
Minorities do self segregate as well. Like I said in another post, no one is forcing black people to live in North City/County. No one is forcing gay people to live in the Grove. No one is forcing Bosnians to live in South City/County. No one is forcing Italians to live on the HIll. It's not a heinous sin to want to live around people of one's own race, social class, ethnicity, sexual orientation, educational attainment, professional achievement, etc.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:02 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,292,598 times
Who is Al Sharpton?

Reverend Al Sharpton is a man whose actions led to cold-blooded murders and because he is black and liberal, his infractions will be overlooked by many and forgotten by others. They shouldn't be.

Freddy's Fashion Mart was a Harlem boutique owned by a long-time Harlem businessman who happened to be Jewish. Freddy's owner rented space in a building on 125th Street. The building belonged to a black church.

In 1995, the building's owners decided to raise the rents on the business tenants. It's not an uncommon thing to do - many landlords have and continue to do this across Manhattan and across the country. But, because they couldn't afford the rent increase, several businesses, including some black-owned ones, were forced to move. The man who would be king, the Reverend Al Sharpton, decided to protest this - not by deriding the church elders, the landlords of the building, but by loudly denouncing the Jewish owners of Freddy's Fashion Mart.

He insisted that Freddy's owners were bloodsuckers and white interlopers who were forcing the other tenants out of the building to further their own "racist" agenda.

A short time later, a man entered Freddy's and told all the black people present, patrons and employees alike, to leave. Once they did, the same man firebombed the place, killing all inside - including a black security guard who was trapped by the flames.

Reverend Sharpton insisted he was blameless in the affair, and that the "incident" was nothing more than a tenant/landlord dispute gone awry. But we should know better than that. The firebombing and murder of those people would not have taken place but for the Sharpton's rhetoric.

Sharpton is also responsible for the 1991 tragedy in the Crown Heights section of Brooklyn. A car driven by a Hassidic Jew accidentally struck and killed a seven-year-old black boy. Sharpton injected himself into the situation, falsely claiming in both the local and national media that a Jewish-owned ambulance refused to take the child for treatment.

Sharpton doesn't want you to remember that he showed up at the young boy's funeral, delivering sound bites that included denouncing the Hassidic community as "diamond merchants." People, acting on Sharpton's inflamed rhetoric, later surrounded a Hassidic seminary student and stabbed him to death, saying "Get the Jew." Had Sharpton not fanned to flames of racial unrest, that student might still be alive.

Then of course we have Tawana Brawley, the young girl who originally brought Sharpton to national prominence. Sharpton grabbed as much face-time with the media as he could, claiming that Brawley was raped, smeared with feces and left wrapped in a bag by a group of white men. Sharpton was convicted for the defamation of the New York lawyer he accused of the "dastardly deed" committed against Ms. Brawley. Later, it was found that the entire story was a fabrication.

That is Al Sharpton.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:03 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,292,598 times
Who is Al Sharpton?

Reverend Al Sharpton is a man whose actions led to cold-blooded murders and because he is black and liberal, his infractions will be overlooked by many and forgotten by others. They shouldn't be.

Freddy's Fashion Mart was a Harlem boutique owned by a long-time Harlem businessman who happened to be Jewish. Freddy's owner rented space in a building on 125th Street. The building belonged to a black church.

In 1995, the building's owners decided to raise the rents on the business tenants. It's not an uncommon thing to do - many landlords have and continue to do this across Manhattan and across the country. But, because they couldn't afford the rent increase, several businesses, including some black-owned ones, were forced to move. The man who would be king, the Reverend Al Sharpton, decided to protest this - not by deriding the church elders, the landlords of the building, but by loudly denouncing the Jewish owners of Freddy's Fashion Mart.

He insisted that Freddy's owners were bloodsuckers and white interlopers who were forcing the other tenants out of the building to further their own "racist" agenda.

A short time later, a man entered Freddy's and told all the black people present, patrons and employees alike, to leave. Once they did, the same man firebombed the place, killing all inside - including a black security guard who was trapped by the flames.

Reverend Sharpton insisted he was blameless in the affair, and that the "incident" was nothing more than a tenant/landlord dispute gone awry. But we should know better than that. The firebombing and murder of those people would not have taken place but for the Sharpton's rhetoric.

Sharpton is also responsible for the 1991 tragedy in the Crown Heights section of Brooklyn. A car driven by a Hassidic Jew accidentally struck and killed a seven-year-old black boy. Sharpton injected himself into the situation, falsely claiming in both the local and national media that a Jewish-owned ambulance refused to take the child for treatment.

Sharpton doesn't want you to remember that he showed up at the young boy's funeral, delivering sound bites that included denouncing the Hassidic community as "diamond merchants." People, acting on Sharpton's inflamed rhetoric, later surrounded a Hassidic seminary student and stabbed him to death, saying "Get the Jew." Had Sharpton not fanned to flames of racial unrest, that student might still be alive.

Then of course we have Tawana Brawley, the young girl who originally brought Sharpton to national prominence. Sharpton grabbed as much face-time with the media as he could, claiming that Brawley was raped, smeared with feces and left wrapped in a bag by a group of white men. Sharpton was convicted for the defamation of the New York lawyer he accused of the "dastardly deed" committed against Ms. Brawley. Later, it was found that the entire story was a fabrication.

That is Al Sharpton.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:08 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,094,098 times
ferguson and places like it will have a decrease in population. but not the consumers--- business will leave the area.
businesses will pull out, a common complaint of poor cities. when most people in a community accept theft and looting and robbery as normal--- they are going the road of detroit, business will leave and not come back. when business leaves so do jobs.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:43 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,032,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike b1 View Post
Why oh why would you instinctively side with a thief/robber/bully, over people with NO criminal records who put their lives on the line to protect us?
Because of guys like this:

St. Louis County officer suspended over video, Glendale officer suspended for Facebook comments : News

I believe most police are good people, but I also know that a lot of them are no better than the thugs they supposedly protect the public from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis