U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 10:53 AM

117 posts, read 271,022 times
Oops. When I wrote "east asians" I meant "west asians". Sorry. Still get my "left" and "right" mixed up too.

Thanks for the nod Bobster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 01:35 PM

68 posts, read 185,829 times
Hey WhyteWing
Thanks for the welcoming invite, I'll stay out of the garden as long as you wouldnt ming sharing a tomato or two

Old 06-16-2009, 03:17 PM

1,127 posts, read 2,193,504 times
I know this thread is from a while ago but I just have to share something that's relevant to the topic. When I was at the "Central West End Art and Taste" I couldn't help but notice many bi-racial couples.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,222 times
I was there too and it was fantastic. An enjoyable afternoon ...

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 06-16-2009 at 10:18 PM..

Old 06-17-2009, 10:49 PM

421 posts, read 1,002,479 times
It sounds like you guys are a nice, solid family. Most objections to bi-racial couples, I think, are to the low income black male/white female type couples. The objections, obviously, stem from the disproportionate numbers of low income black males involved in criminal behaviors in our country. IMO, folks recoil at the sight of a white female paired with a man who looks like he may be a drug dealer or violent criminal, and especially recoil when this type of couple has kids. Can you blame them?? The issue here is not race, but rotten morals and the resulting deviant behaviors.

Since you guys sound like a nice, responsible family, I would certainly hope that people would not have issues with your son just because he is bi-racial. I may be wrong about this, but I suspect that seeing sleazy bi-racial couples, with an emphasis on the sleazy, is why some folks feel ill at ease about this issue. If someone mainly sees sleazy bi-racial couples are rarely if ever sees a positive, wholesome bi-racial couple or family, the "If it looks like a duck, it must quack like a duck, and act like a duck" theory would obviously result in disapproval.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:31 PM

27 posts, read 27,571 times
People recoil at the sight of an interracial couple because they have beliefs that can be considered ignorant, old school, or they just wouldn't do it themselves. The theory that they recoil because the couple looks sleazy, or because the black male looks like a criminal isn't entirely true. If that was the case, the same can be said of same race couples who don't seem to carry themselves well (go to Walmart for a day... these families are there).
In general I believe people look at bi racial families in an awkward manor because they don't understand it. And they tend to make generalizations about people who have these families. I have a bi racial family. We get the stares and the looks, but these usually come from older people black or white, or those that feel we have commited the ulitmate crime for being together and having children.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:55 PM

12,062 posts, read 17,842,434 times
Great post. I couldn't have said it better myself. To frame the issue by placing blame on the biracial couples who are treated unfairly and not the racists themselves is absolutely ludicrous and unfair.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:57 AM

401 posts, read 478,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwelleaut View Post
IMO, folks recoil at the sight of a white female paired with a man who looks like he may be a drug dealer or violent criminal, and especially recoil when this type of couple has kids. Can you blame them?? The issue here is not race, but rotten morals and the resulting deviant behaviors.
NO, that is just plain racist. It is the same as saying all Arabs are terrorists, all whites are oppressive, all Jews are greedy and so on...It is just plain ignorant and racist to recoil at the sight of anybody's skin no matter who they are paired with.

Actually, if you knew anything about most bi-racial couples you would know that most of them tend to be college educated or, at least, of a stable and reasonable view of humanity. In poorer communities where crime is more common bi-racial couples suffer the most ridicule because they are surrounded by the uneducated ignorant people who fear what is different.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:14 AM

44 posts, read 139,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMonk View Post
NO, that is just plain racist. It is the same as saying all Arabs are terrorists, all whites are oppressive, all Jews are greedy and so on...It is just plain ignorant and racist to recoil at the sight of anybody's skin no matter who they are paired with.

Actually, if you knew anything about most bi-racial couples you would know that most of them tend to be college educated or, at least, of a stable and reasonable view of humanity. In poorer communities where crime is more common bi-racial couples suffer the most ridicule because they are surrounded by the uneducated ignorant people who fear what is different.

Amen, And Amen!!!!! Go ahead and Teach us Bro. RichMonk!!

Old 06-20-2009, 11:48 AM

4,526 posts, read 2,647,451 times
we had no children, but were planning on it, so id thought alot about this issue. my former wife was black, im white. the stares we got were usually from older white couples. we lived in a rural area in iowa, and no one really stared or looked at us oddly. more pple smiled as if saying they approved. that was also true in the near by city. the most attention we ever attracted was when at the airport, kci and omaha. for some reason more pple stared at us, why i dont know.

i think the typical portrait of a black male with a rather homely white blonde women, and kids would get about as many looks as one of a sleezy white family with a load of ill mannered youth, in most places. few pple really care much about color anymore. always some that will never change but those are in the minority. pple with any insight at all look at the quality of the person, not the color of the shell. good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis