Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 03:49 PM

5 posts, read 21,613 times

Advertisements

We are moving from the Detroit area to the St. Louis area. My wife, daughter and I are caucasion and we have a son that is bi-racial. We want to ensure that we're moving to an area that would be accepting of our bi-racial family. We understand that there will always be people that see problems with this, but what is the overall feeling in the area? We obviously would prefer to stay away from an area full of confederate flags and such
We would like to welcome feedback regarding our concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 05:24 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,529,810 times
Welcome to the St. Louis forum. You should have no problems with St. Louis. There are and have been mixed race couples in the area for as long as I can remember. May I suggest that you and your family tour the St. Louis area prior to any move and see for yourself how you are accepted initially.

Oh, and BTW, Confederate flags shouldn't cause a problem. They are reminders of a South long ago IMHO. I am acquainted with many others that have these flags not for racial issues at all. Just a reminder of the south where their families came from.

Good luck to you and your family. St. Louis is a wonderful city full of many opportunities.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:15 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,760,662 times
I wouldn't worry that someone who flies a Confederate Flag is necessarily racist. I see people fly flags sometimes in southeast Missouri but it doesn't mean they're racist. It means they're proud to be southern.

But I wouldn't think you'd have any problem in St. Louis. You could visit the city to see how you're received, but you should be fine.

A couple St. Louis athletes are in mixed marriages, so it's not uncommon.

Old 12-30-2007, 03:08 PM

1,270 posts, read 2,167,413 times
I've never seen a confederate flag in the St. Louis area, but wasn't Missouri a Union State anyway. So anyone who flies a confederate flag out here has to be a dope.

Old 12-30-2007, 03:47 PM

2,140 posts, read 4,432,514 times
The Missouri Compromise admitted Maine to the Union as a free state and Missouri as a slave state right afterwards, in August 1821. But in the Civil War, though Missouri was very closely divided, I think it was considered on the Union side overall.

I think a song by the southern rock band Molly Hatchet titled "Heart of the USA" puts it really well: "Gimme them stars and bars for heritage not hate..." The Confederate flag can be a real wedge issue for sure. Nowadays I just don't associate it with racism, white "supremacy" or other nonsense. God made the color of our skin what it is.

I never remember seeing the Confederate flag when I grew up in the St. Louis area up until the mid-1980s. You probably saw it prior to 1978 at Lynyrd Skynyrd concerts and hardly anywhere else.

To the OP: Check out the St. Louis area beforehand, but I daresay you and your family are going to do as well or better than nearly any place else.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:59 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,529,810 times
Thanks northbayeric for posting this info. I have the same in front of me. And still maintain, Confederate flags are not considered racist where I come from and where I am now. Just a part of history.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:07 PM

5 posts, read 21,613 times
Thanks for history lesson. I was just joking when mentioning the confederate flag. My real concern is that my son wouldn't be treated as an outsider.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:56 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,760,662 times
I think he'd be fine. St. Louis is 51% black and 43% white, so it's not dominated by either. I understand being concerned because your son is bi-racial. I wouldn't think it would be an issue, though. If you're concerned you could visit the area ahead of time, but I doubt anybody would really care.

"Everybody's Hero" Albert Pujols has mixed race kids, so it's not like it's unhead of. Bryce Salvador's kid is mixed race as well I believe.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:30 PM

3 posts, read 19,497 times
It takes St. Louis a looooonnnnng time to accept anything different. My boyfriend (who is a white and from the South) and I (black, cute, and from St. Louis) get a lot of glances when we are out and about. Seriously, interracial relationships should be old news.

The OP needs to be aware that there may be some strange looks and inappropriate questions about his family from people who act like they have never seen a bi-racial individual. But I doubt that the KKK will be knocking at your door.

Last edited by MickMick; 12-31-2007 at 09:47 PM..

Old 01-02-2008, 04:32 PM

68 posts, read 315,502 times
Hey stevebidw
I currently live in raleigh nc and we are also relocating to stl in may. I am white and my boyfriend is east indian and we have a 4 year old. We are also looking for a diverse and accepting area. I know the city is totally diverse and all but we are looking for a safer suburb and a great school system. I have put up a few posts asking for advice but havent gotten any yet. I have hear that the west areas of Ladue to Chesterfield are really nice but they look mostly white. If you hear of any good area let me know!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis