U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-09-2014, 08:54 PM
 
5,239 posts, read 7,110,623 times
Reputation: 11357

Advertisements

That's what I had heard, the story of him in the bushes. I haven't followed the story closely after hearing that. Accountability is why they need body cams. Of course all citizens want the truth, but I don't think that rushing to judgement as happened in Ferguson is the way to do it. It would be better if a select few of the areas leaders put pressure on their council and other politicians to get all the facts out about what happened. Mass protests of this type only create problems as they did in Ferguson. That only adds fuel to racial problems when looting and fires happen. And while you say there is more to it than white cop kills black guy, as in cops that are not trustworthy with regard to how an incident took place, I stand by my statement they would have not rioted had it been a black officer involved.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-09-2014, 08:55 PM
 
1,710 posts, read 1,809,489 times
Reputation: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Powerful statement/question. This is where law enforcement reform comes in.
First step will be getting rid of all of the tiny municipality departments in North County. Hell, the tiny municipalities themselves need to go. They should be merged. I would propose something like this:

Hanley Hills+Vinita Terrace+Vinita Park+Sycamore Hills+Charlack+St. John+Breckenridge Hills+Bel-Ridge+Bellerive+Bel-Nor+Greendale+Normandy+Pasadena Park+Pasadena Hills+Glen Echo Park+Cool Valley+(The unincorporated space between them all)=Normandy Park

Northwoods+Beverly Hills+Velda City+Velda Village Hills+Uplands Park+Hillsdale+Pine Lawn+Jennings+Country Club Hills+Flordell Hills+Norwood Court=Northwood Hills

Edmundson+Woodson Terrace+Berkeley=Berkeley

Ferguson+Dellwood+Calverton Park=Ferguson

University City+Pagedale+Wellston=University City

Maryland Heights+Champ=Maryland Heights

Kinloch-raze, then deincorporate. There's only like 3 buildings left anyway. Make it a park, expand the airport, whatever works.

This is kind of a rough idea and kinks would need to be worked out. I don't know how conducive these combinations would be-my concern is that with some, like Ferguson's absorptions, might exacerbate the decline of North County by increasing the population of impoverished individuals and straining the poorer municipalities even more. I'm also worried that combining the wealthier regions of North County (EG Bel-Nor, Bellerive, Bel-Ridge) with poorer ones (EG Normandy) might lead to the wealthier black residents leaving. And combining the incredibly blighted and impoverished Wellston with Pagedale and U City might detract from U City's strengths as a popular destination-either that, or U City's trendy growth may uplift Wellston and Pagedale with it in a "rising tide raises all boats" scenario. What do you guys think?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2014, 09:05 PM
 
Location: StlNoco Mo, where the woodbine twineth
8,010 posts, read 5,657,994 times
Reputation: 11231
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
First step will be getting rid of all of the tiny municipality departments in North County. Hell, the tiny municipalities themselves need to go. They should be merged. I would propose something like this:

Hanley Hills+Vinita Terrace+Vinita Park+Sycamore Hills+Charlack+St. John+Breckenridge Hills+Bel-Ridge+Bellerive+Bel-Nor+Greendale+Normandy+Pasadena Park+Pasadena Hills+Glen Echo Park+Cool Valley+(The unincorporated space between them all)=Normandy Park

Northwoods+Beverly Hills+Velda City+Velda Village Hills+Uplands Park+Hillsdale+Pine Lawn+Jennings+Country Club Hills+Flordell Hills+Norwood Court=Northwood Hills

Edmundson+Woodson Terrace+Berkeley=Berkeley

Ferguson+Dellwood+Calverton Park=Ferguson

University City+Pagedale+Wellston=University City

Maryland Heights+Champ=Maryland Heights

Kinloch-raze, then deincorporate. There's only like 3 buildings left anyway. Make it a park, expand the airport, whatever works.

This is kind of a rough idea and kinks would need to be worked out. I don't know how conducive these combinations would be-my concern is that with some, like Ferguson's absorptions, might exacerbate the decline of North County by increasing the population of impoverished individuals and straining the poorer municipalities even more. I'm also worried that combining the wealthier regions of North County (EG Bel-Nor, Bellerive, Bel-Ridge) with poorer ones (EG Normandy) might lead to the wealthier black residents leaving. And combining the incredibly blighted and impoverished Wellston with Pagedale and U City might detract from U City's strengths as a popular destination-either that, or U City's trendy growth may uplift Wellston and Pagedale with it in a "rising tide raises all boats" scenario. What do you guys think?

I'm all for it.
I saw on the news today that they will begin auditing all these corrupt little dumps around the county. Hope something good comes out of it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2014, 09:14 PM
 
5,239 posts, read 7,110,623 times
Reputation: 11357
I think you'd find the wealthier areas would fight tooth and nail to keep from being merged with a poor area. They would be concerned with property values, tax and quality of life issues. And rightfully so.

And just because they are small municipalities doesn't mean the hiring standards will be lower or that the cops are going to act more aggressively than the city cops may act. Look at the history of the Chicago PD. Sometimes small departments have higher standards than larger departments, as in requiring a college degree. Larger municipalities are often not the perfect example of a well oiled machine.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2014, 09:39 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
1,221 posts, read 2,418,928 times
Reputation: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
I think you'd find the wealthier areas would fight tooth and nail to keep from being merged with a poor area. They would be concerned with property values, tax and quality of life issues. And rightfully so.
That's the first thing I thought when it was suggested that U City merge with Wellston and Pagedale. I don't doubt that U City would rather ditch the area north of Olive and merge with Clayton instead. That town is really like two different cities in one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2014, 11:01 PM
 
6,001 posts, read 6,757,386 times
Reputation: 4689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
The fact of the matter is that EVERYTHING is relevant in these situations.
Fact? Is this Dawn10am facts or is it law or relevant to the officers defense?

The prosecutors office has made it clear that you are wrong and that the store situation has nothing to do with the Darren Wilson case. Darren Wilson is on trial not Michael Brown. The owner had no intentions of filing charges before he found out about the shooting.

I don't think the Shaw murder is any different. I think the question is if the officer was shot at or even threatened with a gun. Not if the civilian had prior history. STLMPD has started out on the wrong foot by false reporting about the bushes. That's the reason for the protests. If law enforcement was trustworthy, we wouldn't be seeing any of this. If the shop owner in Shaw didn't see the victim and have his purchase on camera along with no sign of a weapon, we would not be seeing any of this.

I'm willing to wait and see.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2014, 12:22 AM
 
5,239 posts, read 7,110,623 times
Reputation: 11357
If you were that little clerk would you have filed charges against "the gentle giant"? He would have been asking for trouble if he had. And as far as jumping to conclusions, no one could leap as fast as they did. The protestors had the cop guilty the minute they heard white cop shot black teen.

The reason for the latest protests are because a white cop shot another black teen. Unless it would have been all on HD video for the family and protestors to see you still would have had this same familiar tune, the good boy that wasn't doing anything wrong. The kids grandfather doesn't believe the police, but he does know this kid was arrested on a weapons crime very recently. So is it out of the question this fine lad had a gun that night? You will never hear them talk of that. They made up their minds the second they heard of the shooting, the cop is guilty.

Certainly the cops were told to be sure before using deadly force, given this past soap opera. Most cops do a good job, so casting stones at all cops is wrong. I see you casting no stones at the young thugs that are responsible for so much crime in these areas. Did you happen to read about the Topeka cop murdered on a traffic stop, or the Rochester, NY cop murdered, or the Arizona DPS officer shot in the face? Don't forget about this happening too. It's a very dangerous job.

So now I read he pulled out a sandwich from his waistband and fired 3 rounds of salami at the cop. But somehow I don't think the cop mistook a 9 grain Subway wheat bun for a gun.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2014, 02:48 AM
 
557 posts, read 606,249 times
Reputation: 1052
Thug piece of low life trash fired three rounds at the good guys , good guys fired back in self defense , one less thug , great job. What this area needs is gentrification to push all the trash out just like they did in Brooklyn Ny and the area will flourish. Raise the rents open up shops restaurants and stores and push the thugs out,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2014, 05:10 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
11,003 posts, read 20,670,914 times
Reputation: 6034
I think they should just pull all the cops out of St Louis city and county and then see what happens. I don't know why anybody would even want to be a cop now. The profession will soon be like teaching. Nobody will want to do it anymore.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2014, 06:22 AM
 
Location: St. Louis
1,221 posts, read 2,418,928 times
Reputation: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Fact? Is this Dawn10am facts or is it law or relevant to the officers defense?

The prosecutors office has made it clear that you are wrong and that the store situation has nothing to do with the Darren Wilson case. Darren Wilson is on trial not Michael Brown. The owner had no intentions of filing charges before he found out about the shooting.

I don't think the Shaw murder is any different. I think the question is if the officer was shot at or even threatened with a gun. Not if the civilian had prior history. STLMPD has started out on the wrong foot by false reporting about the bushes. That's the reason for the protests. If law enforcement was trustworthy, we wouldn't be seeing any of this. If the shop owner in Shaw didn't see the victim and have his purchase on camera along with no sign of a weapon, we would not be seeing any of this.

I'm willing to wait and see.

It's relevant legally. If Myers were on trial, the prosecution would be allowed to impeach him with evidence of the prior felony (at least in federal court). It's also relevant to the way in which we construct narratives, if you refer to my previous post.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top