Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 03:02 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,872,692 times

Advertisements

^Stuck? I never understand why people get to a place, complain and moan. Just leave! Life it too short to not be happy. I have done this exact thing. I didn't like where I was, and moved. It cost me money, but it was better than being somewhere I was miserable. And the races do mix, not in West County, but my city neighborhood is very diverse. Seriously, do yourself a favor and move back to California.

Last edited by stlcitygirl; 07-17-2011 at 03:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 05:26 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolas70degrees View Post
But my posts on St Louis have only been in 2 threads where the debate has been robust. And not all my posts are in St Louis, I also have a few in NYC since I may transfer there next year.

So the breakdown of my posts have been driven by the discussion we are having. I don't hate St Louis but some of you need to take off the rose colored glasses and take an honest look at the city. Its easier for an outsider to do that because they don't have any sense of history or tradition with the city.

See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
^I've always found the "rose colored glasses" arguement very ridiculous. City residents know more about life in their city than commuters or someone who just comes into the city on special occasions. Until last month, I lived, worked, and spent almost all my free time in the city so I feel like I know it very well. So yes, I would get defensive when someone who spends maybe 10% of their non-working life there makes sweeping generalizations because of the news or their own misguided judgements.

If you are in the market for a new car, say a Ford Mustang, would you go ask advice from someone who owns one and drives it daily or ask a bunch of people who have seen them around, ridden in one occasionally, and read some reviews online?
I could not have put this more perfectly, thank you!

Old 07-17-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeetMeinSTL View Post
There's a lot of racism in St. Louis. In fact, that's one of the biggest drawbacks of this city. Sure, racism is everywhere, but the fact is that St. Louis is very segregated. The races don't even function together in terms of where people live and even work. It's odd. I'm from a rural area, and we are more integrated than St. Louis. Also in terms of mingling and socializing, the rural area I'm from is far superior to St. Louis in that category. Also I lived in California, and of course the way people mingle and socialize out there is far superior to St. Louis as well. I don't want to have to choose to live in a black or white area or socially function with just blacks or whites. I have a mixed racial background, mixed interests, so I have to be around people who are well rounded. So in essence, yes, people are racist here. The racism and old architecture are the worst parts about St. Louis. The best parts are that it's affordable and there's lot of stuff to do. It has a great midwestern vibe but St. Louisians have got to work on the racism bit.

As a matter of fact, when I first moved here, I made a post about where to find a hair salon. A few weeks later, I made a post about living in West County. Someone on this very board (a white guy) suggested that I not move there because he had read my post about finding a hair salon and figured I wasn't white. Anyway I live in West County now (lived in Clayton for a year) and when I tell both black and white people that the responses are out of this world. People in STL are just going to have to realize that I didn't grow up like them and I'm friends with people of all races and date guys of all races too and my family consists of all races. I won't choose to live in just a black or white world and can't be around people that think like that--which is why Cali is the perfect fit for me but as of now I'm stuck in St. Louis, Misery.
Your posts have a history of bashing the Lou, also.
Please, please move to Cali!

Old 07-17-2011, 05:28 PM

266 posts, read 464,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
^Stuck? I never understand why people get to a place, complain and moan. Just leave! Life it too short to not be happy. I have done this exact thing. I didn't like where I was, and moved. It cost me money, but it was better than being somewhere I was miserable. And the races do mix, not in West County, but my city neighborhood is very diverse. Seriously, do yourself a favor and move back to California.
I am moving back to California once I finish school. And yes, people do get stuck, especially in a bad economy. I like St. Louis though--except for the segregation and old buildings. I can put up with those two things for another year or two.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Your posts have a history of bashing the Lou, also.
Please, please move to Cali!

I don't bash St. Louis, I just don't endlessly defend it like you natives. I'm sure it's obvious that I'm an outsider and I don't care. I'm free to have my opinions whether you like it or not. I didn't bash St. Louis in that previous post. I simply told about my experiences with race and trust me, I have plenty more. I suggest you get over it and admit the flaws of your city. Geez.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
I don't bash St. Louis, I just don't endlessly defend it like you natives. I'm sure it's obvious that I'm an outsider and I don't care. I'm free to have my opinions whether you like it or not. I didn't bash St. Louis in that previous post. I simply told about my experiences with race and trust me, I have plenty more. I suggest you get over it and admit the flaws of your city. Geez.
Oh, please, your posts whine about some of the very things that make STL interesting, such as the old buildings.
Please post a quote where I said you were not allowed to have an opinion.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Oh, please, your posts whine about some of the very things that make STL interesting, such as the old buildings.
Please post a quote where I said you were not allowed to have an opinion.

To you it's interesting and to me it's not. You have your opinions and I have mine.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
To you it's interesting and to me it's not. You have your opinions and I have mine.
Has the thought ever occurred to you to actually educate yourself about the architecture, and the eras and history behind it that brought it to fruition, and what they were about, instead of ignorantly dismissing everything you dont understand as merely "old", and therefore unworthy of attention or appreciation?
-Gasp- You might actually learn something, God forbid, instead of being so condescendingly casual of something you so glaringly know nothing of.
But hey, go live in the burbs and learn to love that crap architecture, its so much easier than educating oneself.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:39 AM

4 posts, read 7,727 times
It's terrible, not unique to, but St. Louis does racism and then some. The racial tension is more pronounced than Chicago, and Chicago is very segregated. Whites basically **** on the blacks by fleeing and blacks hate right back. People who try to be decent get caught up in the middle. That said America's top problems are Militarism and Racism.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:14 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
I would have to agree with the post that states that St. Louis isn't as progressive as some of the larger cities. To believe that racism doesn't exist especially in Chicago or even a city like San Fransisco is totally laughable. Just take a peek at their boards.

As a progressive Black male, I try to seek out like minded people within a community that will enable me to thrive. St.Louis is large enough to provide me with that. If you live your life and commit to your principals you will not have a problem adjusting to any mid size to large city.

It takes a very open mind to pack your bags and relocate to a new city. I've relocated several times due to my job and each time provides an opportunity to meet people that I would not have met and also forces me into experiencing new things. You will not like St. Louis with your heart in California or NYC. You will like St.Louis if you look for what is there and embrase it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis