Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 08:12 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I would have to agree with the post that states that St. Louis isn't as progressive as some of the larger cities. To believe that racism doesn't exist especially in Chicago or even a city like San Fransisco is totally laughable. Just take a peek at their boards.

As a progressive Black male, I try to seek out like minded people within a community that will enable me to thrive. St.Louis is large enough to provide me with that. If you live your life and commit to your principals you will not have a problem adjusting to any mid size to large city.

It takes a very open mind to pack your bags and relocate to a new city. I've relocated several times due to my job and each time provides an opportunity to meet people that I would not have met and also forces me into experiencing new things. You will not like St. Louis with your heart in California or NYC. You will like St.Louis if you look for what is there and embrase it.
For serious. Banning racist trolls was a daily task when I moderated the Chicago boards.

I can only assume that anyone who thinks race relations are particularly different in St. Louis over Chicago has never really been to Chicago (or St. Louis). They're very similar. Little overt racism, but plenty of the backyard BBQ variety. Lots of old political racial lines. And Chicago is very segregated. But for those who seek diverse neighborhoods they absolutely exist in both cities. It just requires getting out of your bubble and seeking them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 10:31 PM

266 posts, read 464,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Has the thought ever occurred to you to actually educate yourself about the architecture, and the eras and history behind it that brought it to fruition, and what they were about, instead of ignorantly dismissing everything you dont understand as merely "old", and therefore unworthy of attention or appreciation?
-Gasp- You might actually learn something, God forbid, instead of being so condescendingly casual of something you so glaringly know nothing of.
But hey, go live in the burbs and learn to love that crap architecture, its so much easier than educating oneself.
You need to get off your high horse. I grew up close to St. Louis so the city was never just completely new to me. I've never liked the old buildings. I do know about the history and that still doesn't change my mind. My opinion is different from yours. Simple as that. You're the one that's condescending.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:56 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,871,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeetMeinSTL View Post
I've never liked the old buildings. I do know about the history and that still doesn't change my mind. .
I hope you never plan to visit Europe

Old 07-19-2011, 10:00 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
That should send them right over the edge!

Old 07-19-2011, 10:01 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeetMeinSTL View Post
You need to get off your high horse. I grew up close to St. Louis so the city was never just completely new to me. I've never liked the old buildings. I do know about the history and that still doesn't change my mind. My opinion is different from yours. Simple as that. You're the one that's condescending.
Then stop whining, it makes your posts appear juvenile.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:25 PM

414 posts, read 884,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
Actually, that would depend on where you go in Europe. The bombed out places like London have a great deal of new and modern looking architecture (along with the old).

I understand the view of not liking old buildings (though it is not my opinion). Architecture, regardless of history and variety, comes down to aesthetic. It is all about making buildings people will enjoy for the life of the structure. Naturally, there will people who think your architecture is a bunch of ballyhoo crap. This is my opinion of modernist architecture with its goofy lines and structural chicanery.

Anyway, don't knock 'em for having distaste for older style architecture. Its not for everyone.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:24 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,801,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I would have to agree with the post that states that St. Louis isn't as progressive as some of the larger cities. To believe that racism doesn't exist especially in Chicago or even a city like San Fransisco is totally laughable. Just take a peek at their boards.

As a progressive Black male, I try to seek out like minded people within a community that will enable me to thrive. St.Louis is large enough to provide me with that. If you live your life and commit to your principals you will not have a problem adjusting to any mid size to large city.

It takes a very open mind to pack your bags and relocate to a new city. I've relocated several times due to my job and each time provides an opportunity to meet people that I would not have met and also forces me into experiencing new things. You will not like St. Louis with your heart in California or NYC. You will like St.Louis if you look for what is there and embrase it.
This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis