Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2008, 07:19 PM

51 posts, read 63,783 times

Advertisements

^ People who live in St. Charles or Jefferson counties many times move there to avoid contact with minorities. You are frightening to them. Sad, huh?

I won't attack you because I live on "the east side," but I work in West County. Anywhere near the city you mention that isn't Ladue or Clayton, and you will about 90% of the time be told how crazy you are because of how terrible the city/neighborhood is. Typically if I ask a black guy I work with or someone white or black who actually lives in the neighborhood, they never share that opinion. One woman told me, regarding U. City, "I'm a brave girl, and I wouldn't live there!" Because it is so "ghetto."

It really is sad. Sometimes I feel like I'm living in rural southern Illinois again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 07:44 PM

48 posts, read 150,115 times
I haven't experienced any racism. I've experienced ignorance but I'm not going to automatically contribute any bad encounter with a White, Asian, Hispanic etc person as being racism. I'm a Black male from E. ST. Louis and while in St. Louis I've met and talked to many people with different backgrounds and cultures. The only bad experience in the area I've had was with a stubborn police officer in Bel Nor. While I admit when I'm in the wrong, I did absolutely nothing out of the ordinary just driving around late at night and after 15 mins of sitting in his squad car I guess he realized that he was in the wrong and let me go. Other than that, I have no problems with this city. Once I finish up school, I'm looking to move to the city because I want to be apart of what makes STL so special.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:41 PM

2 posts, read 4,094 times
Ignorance, that's why!

Old 05-05-2008, 10:34 AM

11 posts, read 40,498 times
I am very sorry about what all is happening to you!! People in St. Louis relaly dont care about what people think and how they are... Some people are just stuck up and dont care and then again some people see that you are a regular person just like us and you deserve to be treated right... in my eyes i think you should give it time and i am sure things wil get better but dont move away from your problems you should face them and be smart about everything...

Old 05-08-2008, 07:30 AM

2 posts, read 6,491 times
I've lived in St.Louis on and off my whole life mostly in all black neighborhoods. I have scars from getting into fights because I was the cracker *****. African Americans in St.Louis are extremely racist. My grandfather is native american he looks hispanic he goes walking in the mall and has young african americans tell him to go home and to get out of their country. My husband when he went to school in St.Louis had a black teacher who slammed him against a wall three times when my husband was only 7, because my husband asked one of his classmates if they had seen his white dog named whitey. The teacher thought my husband who was 7 was making a racial comment. My husband has knife scars on his hands and arms from getting into fights cause he was the white kid. I worked at a daycare in St.Louis and constantly had to protect my white students and full black students from the half black students who were cruel and mean.
My four year old daughter got told by a group of 5 and 6 year old black and half black girls that she couldn't play with them cause she wasn't black.
And I could go on and on for hours with examples.
St.Louis African Americans are horrible it is not your imagination at all! Its constant in St.Louis for any race that isn't African American. its getting just as bad in Columbia, St.Charles, and Kansas City too.
African American are alloweed by the media and society to get away with being extreme racists it needs to be stopped.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:15 PM

4 posts, read 12,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisgirl02 View Post
I've lived in St.Louis on and off my whole life mostly in all black neighborhoods. I have scars from getting into fights because I was the cracker *****. African Americans in St.Louis are extremely racist. My grandfather is native american he looks hispanic he goes walking in the mall and has young african americans tell him to go home and to get out of their country. My husband when he went to school in St.Louis had a black teacher who slammed him against a wall three times when my husband was only 7, because my husband asked one of his classmates if they had seen his white dog named whitey. The teacher thought my husband who was 7 was making a racial comment. My husband has knife scars on his hands and arms from getting into fights cause he was the white kid. I worked at a daycare in St.Louis and constantly had to protect my white students and full black students from the half black students who were cruel and mean.
My four year old daughter got told by a group of 5 and 6 year old black and half black girls that she couldn't play with them cause she wasn't black.
And I could go on and on for hours with examples.
St.Louis African Americans are horrible it is not your imagination at all! Its constant in St.Louis for any race that isn't African American. its getting just as bad in Columbia, St.Charles, and Kansas City too.
African American are alloweed by the media and society to get away with being extreme racists it needs to be stopped.
Being a African-American, moving to St. Louis, this saddens me. Never could imagine this kind of nonsense. I don't believe in befriending racists of any color or kind. The thing abour your grandfather...ignorance at its finest.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:57 AM

Yes it is saddening. Although I personally don't think this way being an African-American at the same time I know that some do have this ignorant state of mind. I honestly don't believe the majority of African Americans in STL thinks this way but I'm sure that it's some. It's not good at all and I'm sorry that you had to experience it.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:22 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,279 times
I am a white male who moved here 2 months ago. I live in the city of STL.

1) University City is not "ghetto" lol. What a wuss.

2) On the other hand, I have noticed alot of racism here, which is odd considering that I am from Alabama (albeit a major city in Alabama) and it is not near as bad there. But, here, it is definitely racism from "both sides" and blacks are just as racist as whites ... if not a bit more so. I've never seen a city so divided, to be honest. I happen to live in a very diverse part of St. Louis that is in STL but near U city. Luckily, I'm very laid back, am very hard to offend, am not racist at all, and get along with everybody (or try to) ... so I have not had any bad experiences. However, one observation that is funny ... While I have not been called a cracker to my face here, I have heard that term in general alot lately while in public when blacks are speaking about whites. Doctor's offices, Metrolink, on the street, etc. Apparently we are all stupid crackas ... Never really heard the term much back home. Maybe once or twice, but not common-place.

By the way, I don't remember if I have posted in this thread or not. Don't eat me alive if I have repeated something I may have posted a week or two back.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:32 AM

Although I understand completely that a lot of people may have experienced bad thing from blacks, whites, etc. I really don't feel that the city is as divided as people make it out to be. Although the Delmar line is a little obvious, for one to say that St. Louis is this place where there is constantly racial slurs being tossed back and forth is really ridiculous in my opinion. Yes you're going to find people from all races that may not be the friendliest to others but I think some tend to over analyze the smallest things. I'm African American and I can have a conversation with almost any random person walking the streets no matter if I'm on the North, South, West St.Louis, CWE, The Loop, STL County...basically anywhere. I think people need to just get out and mingle more. I wish there were a world where racism didn't exist but I would be naive to think that I'm living in that world right now. All in all, I don't think St. Louis is this hateful pot of blacks and whites plotting against one another but then again any progress between any races can never hurt.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:05 PM

160 posts, read 517,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySTLouis View Post
Although I understand completely that a lot of people may have experienced bad thing from blacks, whites, etc. I really don't feel that the city is as divided as people make it out to be. Although the Delmar line is a little obvious, for one to say that St. Louis is this place where there is constantly racial slurs being tossed back and forth is really ridiculous in my opinion. Yes you're going to find people from all races that may not be the friendliest to others but I think some tend to over analyze the smallest things. I'm African American and I can have a conversation with almost any random person walking the streets no matter if I'm on the North, South, West St.Louis, CWE, The Loop, STL County...basically anywhere. I think people need to just get out and mingle more. I wish there were a world where racism didn't exist but I would be naive to think that I'm living in that world right now. All in all, I don't think St. Louis is this hateful pot of blacks and whites plotting against one another but then again any progress between any races can never hurt.
Well said. I whole-heartedly agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis