Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 10:00 PM

10 posts, read 25,812 times

Advertisements

Nik4ny,
Maryland heights apartments like wood hollow, cedar trace, lecoeur du monde have lot of indians.
In creve coeur, charter place apartments(towards the tennis court), oxford hills apts also has indians. I wouldnt suggest wood hollow even though there is a very high indian population.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 08:05 AM

2 posts, read 6,621 times
Thx so much folks mahelamama and mañasa.
Helps a lot ...planning extended stay for a week for hunting good apts ...the environment would surely suggest the creamy layered ones..

Thanks so much for the info...
Nik

Old 04-23-2013, 10:19 AM

68 posts, read 315,381 times
Hey Nik4ny
As long as you stay in apts it is pretty easy to move about if something doesn't suite your family's needs. There is a plethora of apts along the I270 and Manchester area ( that would be considered the Manchester/ Ballwin area ) and also a lot more near I270 and Dorsett ( that would be Maryland Heights ). Also if you visit the temple on Weidman RD or any Indian food shops the people in there can give you good advice on which areas might work for you. That is how we first settled in STL. If you plan to buy a home in the next few years that is a whole different story as the school systems here can vary greatly. And you want to make sure your home is in a good school district unless you plan to go for private schools. But sounds like you have a lot of time before you have to think about that. Some great places to check out on your visit: Forest Park which has a beautiful park and the great STL Zoo which is free, it also has the science center which is also free for most of the stuff there and of course the ST Louis Arch in downtown is worth the ticket for the trip to the top! We have some great Indian restaurants too, depends if your north or south Indian though, most are buffets during the lunch time, we like Mayuri near I270 and Olive ( crazy spicy) and India Palace near the airport ( Sikh owned ) both have good food, clean family atmosphere and reasonable prices. You will also want to take into consideration the area of your apt depending on if you have a car or not. Although we do have a public bus system it is nothing like NY. If you have a car then no problem everything is within a few miles driving but if not it is a pain waiting for the bus especially with a child in tow. Most desis we know who relocate here buy a car right off because it is way more convenient. Manchester road area has a lot of shops and a super Wal-Mart within walking distance from several apts. Also the Chesterfield Valley area has a huge shopping complex with a super Wal-Mart, Target, clothing shops and restaurants but it is not walking distance from a residential area. There are several south Asian groups and even a cricket league to join. Good luck on your search.
Mahalemama

Old 05-10-2014, 06:08 PM

15 posts, read 43,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
according to my Mandarin teacher, we do have a "China Town" in St. Louis, according to her it's the neighborhood on Olive, East of I-170 in University City...Several authentic Chinese Restaurants, the Chinese Grocery store, Chinese Bakeries, and numerous "gift" and "herb" shops...Her and several other Chinese St. Louisians advertise in the local Chinese newspaper (which is written in Chinese) advertising tax services for new immigrants, housing options, and other local businesses....The area won't compare to any of the "dedicated" and "known" Chinatown's across the U.S., but it is a small piece of St. Louis.

As for Indians in St. Louis, i don't know a whole lot of Indians here, but i've seen large groups that seem to live in some apartments in Maryland Heights, and there's an Indian family a couple blocks away from me in St. Ann (i know this only from driving by and seeing the family out and about) but i have no idea what part of India they are from, nor how long they (or their family) has been in the States.

As for crime in St. Louis, there is a bit of a crime problem in St. Louis City, but there are perfectly safe parts of St. Louis City as well. St. Louis County is overall pretty safe, but there are some very dangerous locations in the county too...You'd just have to mention some of your preferences and i'm sure you'll get an awful lot of advice on places to check out, move to, etc....and places to avoid.
Hi,

I m moving to Town & Country area 63017 with my husband in a month ..could you plz suggest us any good apartment with indian population near by.

thanks..

Old 05-10-2014, 09:04 PM

26 posts, read 29,324 times
Maryland Heights around Hwy 270 and Dorsett Rd has a significant Indian population. There is a great Indian restaurant there called Priyaa as well. Very good.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:31 PM

15 posts, read 43,161 times
Hi thanks for the reply mufilm....could u name some good apartments there coz the apartments i have checked near Maryland Heights showed very bad reviews....

This would be a great help..

Thnkz..

Old 05-13-2014, 08:38 PM

446 posts, read 482,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pankit View Post
Hi thanks for the reply mufilm....could u name some good apartments there coz the apartments i have checked near Maryland Heights showed very bad reviews....

This would be a great help..

Thnkz..
I mean, Frankly speaking if you are looking for an Indian dominated apartment complex, chances are, you will not get great reviews. I personally have no problem with it but some folks find it hard to adjust to Indian cooking style that leaves A LOT of aroma when frying onions with strong spices three times a day. Those fumes effect the entire building and sometimes even trigger a long lasting dog bark from your Neighbour's apartment.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:21 AM

662 posts, read 1,042,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjhku View Post
My dot not feather indian friends lived in Chesterfield.
What the hell....

Old 05-14-2014, 01:03 PM

7,106 posts, read 8,874,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBobble View Post
What the hell....
My thoughts as well.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:57 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,826,890 times
rcjhku is a troll who seems to visit the St. Louis forum from time to time. Don't feed him any troll pellets!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis