Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 11:51 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times

Advertisements

I love ballpark village but it seems a little overrated. It doesn't seem to have any appeal outside of the sports bar enthusiast type.

I don't know what long term impact this may have on WashAve but it shouldn't be much. I think they can exist together and may eventually compliment each other if they move forward with the luxury condos and upscale shopping phase.

What are your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 12:19 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,400 times
It's not really my scene but I enjoy it for what it is. I've taken a bunch of people from out of town there since its a recent addition to downtown. The only thing that really bothers me is the sea of parking. Hopefully that changes somewhat soon. I'd imagine it impacts the other sports bars surrounding Busch a lot more than it impacts Wash Ave....but I'm not very into the Wash Ave scene, either, so I have no idea.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:13 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,748,592 times
I don't think it's overrated, but government-subsidized douchebag bait just isn't my thing.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:18 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,778,485 times
Thank god it's not for everyone. It's hard enough getting a seat now as it is.

As a season ticket holder, I was there was dozens of times this year, and I witnessed extremely little douchebaggery. Usually only in the form of that guy that had one too many, but he's in every crowd no matter where you go, and Ballpark Village is pretty quick to show him the door.

I'd hang out at Ballpark Village over Wash Ave any night of the week, but honestly I was over Wash Ave nightlife about decade before Ballpark Village was even conceived as I am well into my 30's now. At any rate there are better options than either of those two places. Outside of game day anyway.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
I don't think it's overrated, but government-subsidized douchebag bait just isn't my thing.
How much further do we have to go before downtown can stand on its own without a welfare type of support for millionaire developers?

Old 01-03-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
How much further do we have to go before downtown can stand on its own without a welfare type of support for millionaire developers?
I hope not too much, but lately I've been having a bad feeling about downtown. It seems to be losing its mojo and this crime wave, if it continues, could be potentially devastating. I guess the one bright spot is the city taking a stance against Larry Rice, but we'll see if they actually follow through on their threat.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
I hope not too much, but lately I've been having a bad feeling about downtown. It seems to be losing its mojo and this crime wave, if it continues, could be potentially devastating. I guess the one bright spot is the city taking a stance against Larry Rice, but we'll see if they actually follow through on their threat.
O no. They are going to follow through. There has been a few shootings (not homicides) from homeless patrons of the Centenary Methodist Church on Olive at the 711 over the past few months. It doesn't seem that Larry Rice is giving in to the demands from the courts. He will be gone in a few months. I don't think that is going to solve the homeless problem in Downtown. It will make it more difficult for them find shelter so its not a resolution.

I wish Downtown could gain another 5 to 10k residents over the next 2 to 3 years. I think that is what will put the shot in the arm for some retail (like a City Target, Nordstrom Rack and CVS. I know Im dreaming a little too much with the Nordstrom Rack) and it will create a momentum that we need to see growth.

Mayor Slay needs to get off his behind and create a pro business climate for the Downtown St. Louis. CORTEX and the Central West End seem to be doing quite well. We need the Express Scripts and Boeing types of businesses for the Downtown area. We would do well to see a Downtown workforce of 150 to 200k over the next 10 years. I don't remember where I heard this but we are only a few downtowns that hasn't grown its workforce.

I don't think its all doom and gloom. We have some exciting projects coming up like the National Blues History Museum, Union Station and the Riverfront. If the people are too scared to come to St. Louis then downtown will not survive.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 01-03-2015 at 10:41 AM..

Old 01-03-2015, 02:37 PM

208 posts, read 236,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Mayor Slay needs to get off his behind and create a pro business climate for the Downtown St. Louis.
Agreed. And how about taking care of the graffiti problem while he's at it? Someone needs to educate Slay on the Broken Window Theory.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:45 PM

Do we have a graffiti problem? I see some random stuff here and there, but not enough to scream "problem" to me.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:52 PM

208 posts, read 236,011 times
Yes. We have a graffiti problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis