U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-06-2015, 10:45 AM
 
1,298 posts, read 984,056 times
Reputation: 658
Let's face it: somehow the St. Louis metro needs to pony up to keep the Rams from moving to Los Angeles. (Let them take the Raiders back from Oakland instead.)

But it doesn't make any sense to try to upgrade the dome. Unlike major league baseball, not only is it not helpful to locate an NFL stadium in a downtown area, it's actually detrimental. (Literally 90% of the time it's a creepy, hulking abandoned obstacle to positive urban activity.)

So why not look to a wealthier part of town to fund a brand-new open air stadium? St. Charles County is the fastest-growing county in the metro, and would probably pay a premium to boast a new NFL stadium within their boundaries. And a location right on the Missouri River, across I-70 from Ameristar would have a ton of advantages, am I right?

To make sure there was enough space, I cut and pasted Arrowhead Stadium from the Kansas City map, surrounded by an appropriate amount of parking, into the St. Charles map. It's an iconic setting on the Katy Trail, it supports the casino draw, and it's easily accessible to the entire metro.

What say you?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-06-2015, 11:58 AM
 
1,475 posts, read 1,920,481 times
Reputation: 1576
In a market like St. Louis, it's almost always downtown or bust. Of the last 16 stadiums built for the NFL, 11 of them were downtown or adjacent to DT. The other 5 were in large metros with really expensive real estate where it made more sense to locate elsewhere (NY, BOS, Dallas, and the Bay Area). The only venue that kind of breaks the mold a little bit is Phoenix, but they're still a lot bigger/more expensive than STL.

An owner looking for a stadium in a middle to small market is going to want it downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2015, 12:23 PM
 
1,298 posts, read 984,056 times
Reputation: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
In a market like St. Louis, it's almost always downtown or bust. Of the last 16 stadiums built for the NFL, 11 of them were downtown or adjacent to DT. The other 5 were in large metros with really expensive real estate where it made more sense to locate elsewhere (NY, BOS, Dallas, and the Bay Area). The only venue that kind of breaks the mold a little bit is Phoenix, but they're still a lot bigger/more expensive than STL.

An owner looking for a stadium in a middle to small market is going to want it downtown.
These are good points, but I think one of the unique aspects of the St. Louis metro is how lop-sided it is, in terms of wealth. Sure, there's money in downtown, Lafayette Square, CWE, etc. But the biggest money is Clayton and points west. This is not rivalled whatsoever by the south, certainly not by the north, and definitely not by the east. I'm a big downtown-booster, myself. But if the money is just not there, then go west, young man! Go west!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2015, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Chicago
2,357 posts, read 2,012,452 times
Reputation: 2181
If the leaked reports turn out to be true, a new stadium is going to be built north of Lumiere and south of the Musial Bridge on the riverfront.

Whether that keeps the Rams in STL, or attracts another team from elsewhere, remains to be seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2015, 01:40 PM
 
1,475 posts, read 1,920,481 times
Reputation: 1576
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
These are good points, but I think one of the unique aspects of the St. Louis metro is how lop-sided it is, in terms of wealth. Sure, there's money in downtown, Lafayette Square, CWE, etc. But the biggest money is Clayton and points west. This is not rivalled whatsoever by the south, certainly not by the north, and definitely not by the east. I'm a big downtown-booster, myself. But if the money is just not there, then go west, young man! Go west!
STL isn't unique in that aspect. Wealth radiates from the north in Cincinnati and Indianapolis. Both NFL stadiums are downtown. The money in Nashville is south of the city center around Brentwood. The stadium is downtown. NFL owners wouldn't be enamored by a stadium on the Missouri River in St. Charles. Given the sketchy outline of the state's proposal to be issued Friday, they seem to agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2015, 02:34 PM
 
1,298 posts, read 984,056 times
Reputation: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
STL isn't unique in that aspect. Wealth radiates from the north in Cincinnati and Indianapolis. Both NFL stadiums are downtown. The money in Nashville is south of the city center around Brentwood. The stadium is downtown. NFL owners wouldn't be enamored by a stadium on the Missouri River in St. Charles. Given the sketchy outline of the state's proposal to be issued Friday, they seem to agree.
It's not entirely unique, no. But the majority of cities, in my observation, have at least something noteworthy in 3-4 directions, at least at the outskirts. St. Louis has a little of that to the south, but very little to the north, and virtually nothing to the east.

Thus, the metro area's economic "center of gravity" would not be far from downtown St. Charles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2015, 02:48 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
7,041 posts, read 5,074,632 times
Reputation: 4045
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
If the leaked reports turn out to be true, a new stadium is going to be built north of Lumiere and south of the Musial Bridge on the riverfront.

Whether that keeps the Rams in STL, or attracts another team from elsewhere, remains to be seen.
You mean it will be proposed to be built.

I'm still not sure what amount of public money is going to be involved and if it will require a vote, but whatever the amount is I'm not convinced the public would vote to approve funding. Maybe a vote won't be needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2015, 03:02 PM
 
3,530 posts, read 2,174,745 times
Reputation: 2636
Maybe Champ will finally get that stadium after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2015, 10:24 PM
 
Location: Chicago
2,357 posts, read 2,012,452 times
Reputation: 2181
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
You mean it will be proposed to be built.

I'm still not sure what amount of public money is going to be involved and if it will require a vote, but whatever the amount is I'm not convinced the public would vote to approve funding. Maybe a vote won't be needed.
True, I was getting a little ahead of myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2015, 10:36 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
1,221 posts, read 2,165,943 times
Reputation: 763
Yes, by all means, let's pour more public and private money into our outer exurbs while St. Louis City AND County continue to gasp for air. We have acres and acres of blighted land in and around downtown that could benefit from a new stadium a lot more than St. Charles. I don't support any proposal that would put a project like this outside of 270.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top