Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 06:49 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,778,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
My recollection is different and during that time period I was either in college or a new graduate who went out a lot and spent a fair amount of time downtown or places like the landing. I always felt safe downtown. Now, downtown was more empty, you didn't have the lofts, and Washington avenue wasn't developed, etc. So in some respects downtown is in better shape BUT now there appears to be more violent crime downtown, armed robberies, downtown residents being assaulted/robbed, rolling shootouts in broad daylight, etc.
In my opinion, having grown up here, downtown has never been safer than it's been in recent years. 2014 was certainly a step in the wrong direction with some high profile crimes obviously, and I hope they get things under control, but it's still not as bad as the media tries to portray it. No matter what you do, things are going to happen sadly. I don't feel unsafe downtown though.

Overall though with the loft district, and people moving back to the city, and the construction projects that are attempting to revitalize downtown it feels a lot different to me than it used to. It feels like there is a lot more life down there. I'm also really excited about the startup sector gaining momentum, and I think we have a good chance at becoming a major tech hub down the road. Lots of venture capitalists were visiting in 2014. We have some big names from silicon valley that are really interested in breathing new life into St. Louis, and they are already working to do so. New jobs brings new people, and a new atmosphere. It could end up being a very different place than it's been in my lifetime, and I would love to see that happen. I have hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 10:32 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,015,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioMechanical View Post
In my opinion, having grown up here, downtown has never been safer than it's been in recent years. 2014 was certainly a step in the wrong direction with some high profile crimes obviously, and I hope they get things under control, but it's still not as bad as the media tries to portray it. No matter what you do, things are going to happen sadly. I don't feel unsafe downtown though.

Overall though with the loft district, and people moving back to the city, and the construction projects that are attempting to revitalize downtown it feels a lot different to me than it used to. It feels like there is a lot more life down there. I'm also really excited about the startup sector gaining momentum, and I think we have a good chance at becoming a major tech hub down the road. Lots of venture capitalists were visiting in 2014. We have some big names from silicon valley that are really interested in breathing new life into St. Louis, and they are already working to do so. New jobs brings new people, and a new atmosphere. It could end up being a very different place than it's been in my lifetime, and I would love to see that happen. I have hope.
People don't feel safe:

Blues fans worried about security in downtown St. Louis | FOX2now.com

And it is harming downtown:

[Bill McClellan: Bring in the horses, downtown businessman urges, St. Louis Post-Dispatch, 1-16-15]:
But Wednesday afternoon, I was strolling back to the newspaper when I happened to pass Copia Wine Bar and Restaurant, which occupies several storefronts — and 15,000 square feet — on the south side of Washington Avenue between 11th Street and Tucker Boulevard. Almost passed it, I should say. I decided to have a glass of wine.
It was almost 5 o’clock. The place was nearly empty.
Amer Hawatmeh owns and runs the place. He came over to chat. (All right. I’ve stopped for a glass of wine once or twice before.) “How’s business?” I asked.
“Terrible,” he said.
Lunch and dinner are down. Happy hour is way down. Parties have been hit the hardest, he said. He told me he had almost $225,000 in cancellations in November and December. Mostly holiday parties, he said.

“Right now the weather is bad, but even before, you could see something was wrong. We used to look out the window and you’d think this was a major metropolis, but you don’t see that any more. The street is empty.”
That is not exactly welcome news for an entertainment district.
The future seems clouded. What will Ferguson do to the convention business? But that’s the future. The present is troubled enough. Hawatmeh said he didn’t know how long he’d be able to continue.
I asked what he would do if he were in charge. “We need more police,” he said.
“Visible police. I love the police. But you need to be able to see them. You know what I would do? Put them on horses. Get those horses from Forest Park and bring them here. If there is a crowd of people, and you have a policeman in the middle of the crowd, you can’t see him. But if he is on a horse, everybody can see him.”

Old 01-18-2015, 11:13 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,601,591 times
Quote:
My recollection is different and during that time period I was either in college or a new graduate who went out a lot and spent a fair amount of time downtown or places like the landing. I always felt safe downtown. Now, downtown was more empty, you didn't have the lofts, and Washington avenue wasn't developed, etc. So in some respects downtown is in better shape BUT now there appears to be more violent crime downtown, armed robberies, downtown residents being assaulted/robbed, rolling shootouts in broad daylight, etc.
It's funny how dramatic the difference can be between perception and reality. Human beings are funny creatures.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:31 AM

3,703 posts, read 3,778,485 times
Quote:
People don't feel safe:

I can't blame people feeling uneasy with recent events. I even mentioned that recent months have been a step back, there is no denying that, but recent events are not really representative of how things have been downtown for quite a few years now.

Generally it's been nice down there for a long while. I hope we get back on track in 2015. Personally I haven't been bothered, but I don't put myself in bad situations, and I have spent time in much scarier places than St. Louis.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:35 AM

122 posts, read 217,180 times
So sad. St. Louis is a wonderful place to live and visit....then you have this.

Old 01-18-2015, 03:44 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,767,416 times
So, the Drury shooter was caught.....
And he's from Poplar Bluff. Strange. It's like he decide that St Louis was the place to come do a robbery and get away with it.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:29 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,601,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
So, the Drury shooter was caught.....
And he's from Poplar Bluff. Strange. It's like he decide that St Louis was the place to come do a robbery and get away with it.
That's a big supposition. Maybe he just wanted some ravioli or something.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioMechanical View Post
I can't blame people feeling uneasy with recent events. I even mentioned that recent months have been a step back, there is no denying that, but recent events are not really representative of how things have been downtown for quite a few years now.

Generally it's been nice down there for a long while. I hope we get back on track in 2015. Personally I haven't been bothered, but I don't put myself in bad situations, and I have spent time in much scarier places than St. Louis.
I'm not sure a lot of victims recently have put themselves in bad situations.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:18 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,632,318 times
I can't keep track of these shootings.
I never know which one they're talking about, there's too many.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:12 PM

Counting the one confirmed murder this morning in the Bevo Mill neighborhood on Itaska, St. Louis city has 13 homicides and it's January 19. 13 (and counting- the other shooting victim is in critical condition) in 19 days. I have a sibling that lives very near Bevo Mill.

Perception is reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis