Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2015, 09:36 AM

6 posts, read 8,084 times

Advertisements

We are being relocated from Chicago. Need advice on towns. About us: mid 30's white couple with 2 girls ages 3 and 5. Schools are top priority as well as a safe town. Budget is about 700k. Want an area that also would have little kids around. Where would you live? Given those top priorities? Also btwn rockwood, parkway, kirkwood, ladue, can you rank best to worst? Any Im missing?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 09:45 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,009,690 times
Make sure you don't forget about the IL side of the River. O'Fallon and Swansea have great schools. Also:

- If you work in the City, no sun in your eyes during commute. (Minor, I know, but irritating)
- My commute from IL to downtown is actually better than most people I know in Kirkwood, etc.
- You could continue to file an IL tax return, register to vote, Driver's License, etc.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:44 AM

147 posts, read 383,628 times
The districts you listed are all fairly comparable, in terms of quality of schools and quality of life. I would recommend Webster and Clayton as well, and then pick the house/neighborhood that appeals to you most.

Personally, I like the convenience of living inside 270, which eliminates Rockwood and Parkway. $700k will go a lot farther for you in those districts; Webster, Kirkwood, Clayton and Ladue will get you more charm, and in some cases, a more walkable lifestyle.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:04 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,011,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickey22 View Post
We are being relocated from Chicago. Need advice on towns. About us: mid 30's white couple with 2 girls ages 3 and 5. Schools are top priority as well as a safe town. Budget is about 700k. Want an area that also would have little kids around. Where would you live? Given those top priorities? Also btwn rockwood, parkway, kirkwood, ladue, can you rank best to worst? Any Im missing?
Thanks
I would say districts probably rank this way (my opinion only, mind you);

1. Ladue - better test scores generally due to wealthy area, student demographics.

2. Tie: Kirkwood - some rankings have it higher than Ladue, but test scores generally lower than Ladue.
Parkway - not much difference that I see with Kirkwood in terms of schools. A bigger district, in a generally newer suburban area.

3. Rockwood. Rockwood is pretty good too, I just think I would give a slight not to Kirkwood and Parkway.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:31 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,686,641 times
All of these are great school districts. Narrow your search further based on what you prefer:

Ladue: More of a country club vibe; lots of country clubs/courses, mostly large lots, has more of an old money reputation. Most expensive of the list.

Kirkwood: Mostly charming with cute downtown. Some subdivisions on the outskirts, but mostly set up with older houses on a grid, with some tear downs mixed in.

Parkway/Rockwood: Mostly subdivisions, tons of big box stores and strip malls all over. There are pockets of both where you can get larger lots, if that's what your after.

I'm originally from the Chicago suburbs, welcome to STL!

Old 01-30-2015, 09:11 AM

203 posts, read 271,281 times
Welcome! If I was in your shoes I would look at Clayton, Ladue, Kirkwood (including Glendale), and Webster (including Warson Woods).

Clayton would be at the top of my list. It has a central location, older, well-maintained brick homes on tree-lines streets, excellent city services (like trash/recycling being picked up in your back yard), fantastic parks (the biggest of which--Shaw Park--has a beautiful pool and diving tank and outdoor skating rink), and great schools. Each elementary school is nestled in a neighborhood and therefore many kids can walk or bike to school. Clayton also probably has more people from "somewhere else" than most places in the metro-area and that can make it easier to make friends.

Ladue's location is great, too. But you won't find any public parks or public pools in Ladue. That probably comes from a longstanding desire not to expand the city government/budget and because of the country clubs and other private clubs in the area. You'll also notice that most residential streets are private, so most homes will come with a resident association fee (like maybe $400 or $500) for the upkeep of the roads and signage. Despite the lack of amenities, Ladue is nice and I would certainly consider it--especially if I wanted a larger lot than what you can get in Clayton.

Last edited by Hector2; 01-30-2015 at 10:13 AM..

Old 02-09-2015, 12:44 AM

8 posts, read 12,152 times
You Sound Like a Future Clayton Resident to me!

Ladue, Fronenac, Webster or Kirkwood are possibilities but they don't offer the same quality of schools or nearby amenities as Clayton.

Webster Groves and Kirkwood are "quaint" but also a bit provincial.

Webster is a beautiful place but Clayton's property values will also rise faster.

Clayton also has a lot of businesses and office space. Those businesses generate a lot of Tax Revenue for Clayton making it less likely to have increased Property Taxes as I believe Kirkwood and Webster will have to keep raising taxes due to their aging infrastructure and little commercial property to collect taxes from.

Amazing Schools, Fantastic restaurants, amazing library, shopping, parks, great Public Pool, Ice-Skating Rink and city center!

You are centrally located nearby Forest Park so you can enjoy the greatest assets of St Louis as well.

If you enjoy neighborhoods populated by Professionals you will love Clayton.

Washington University is also located in Clayton and they have amazing programs and events to enjoy.

$700,000 goes a lot farther in the St Louis area than Chicago and you will be amazed.

You could spend $600K and have money left over to make this your dream home.

Welcome to the Metro!

Old 02-10-2015, 11:32 AM

6 posts, read 8,084 times
Thanks! I do like CLayton, but cant find anything for 700K that isnt a condo! I need the yard space for the kids! So sounds like Ladue, and kirkwood then?

Old 02-12-2015, 01:05 PM

203 posts, read 271,281 times
Wait until Spring if you can.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:00 PM

147 posts, read 383,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickey22 View Post
Thanks! I do like CLayton, but cant find anything for 700K that isnt a condo! I need the yard space for the kids! So sounds like Ladue, and kirkwood then?
Again, don't rule out Webster. Just as an example, here's a nice home in your price range, just a block or so from the Old Wester shopping district and a few doors down from Bristol Elementary: 50 Gray Avenue, Webster Groves, MO 63119 (MLS# 15007040) - Webster Groves MO Real Estate - St Louis #1 Home Seller
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis