Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 09:07 PM

24 posts, read 30,578 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Texas (born there) and visited Missouri (STL) several times as I have quite a large family in the area. For many years I have lived In the SF bay area and now with 2 kids ( 8 and almost 5) and about to drown (cost of living and lack of decent wages). Finally I called my mom and said OKAY I'LL MOVE!! Not sure I can transfer but not sure I want to work in Chesterfield. Going to check things out in April and moving the first week in June.

Assuming the children's hospital will take care of our autism spectrum and juvenile arthritis stuff. I'm well aware of the weather there and know to stay away from east st. Louis and north county, downtown, and ANYWHERE in Illinois (since i'm a single mom and per what my cousins told me). I'm only going to have 800 a month until I have whatever extra income I get from a job. The 800 is money (not through a court agreement) from "dad" and hoping its enough to live in a decent not too rural with a good school they can both go to and have great test scores. Since its just going to be sent to me via bank transfer is that okay in order to rent a place or??

"Dad" is concerned they (the kids) will be made fun of for being Californians as I was made fun of in cali for being from Texas. They really are TRUE Californians and will lecture a smoker too.

Where ever I might work I want to be close to home meaning I don't want to drive 20 mins each way. I also don't want to live next to numerous sex offenders (I checked and WOW).

Anyone...any thoughts....about ANYTHING?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 09:59 PM

13 posts, read 15,626 times
Illinois is not bad. I live in Collinsville, Illinois that's about 12 minutes from downtown St. Louis. About 8 minutes from East St. Louis. If you are looking to live in Chesterfield that's a good area. I don't think your kids should have a problem. Sorry you have to leave the West coast to come here.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoleman618 View Post
Illinois is not bad. I live in Collinsville, Illinois that's about 12 minutes from downtown St. Louis. About 8 minutes from East St. Louis. If you are looking to live in Chesterfield that's a good area. I don't think your kids should have a problem. Sorry you have to leave the West coast to come here.
I don't want to be chesterfield or metro east. I'm thinking more south county maybe west county. My biggest concern is my kids and how they'll adjust.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:41 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,588,470 times
Most of west and south county is fine. West county is probably closer to more jobs and better schools but more expensive than south county. Closer to the city will generally mean more density and walkability, outside the 270 loop is more cul de sac stuff.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:59 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,936,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krismoshes View Post
I have lived in Texas (born there) and visited Missouri (STL) several times as I have quite a large family in the area. For many years I have lived In the SF bay area and now with 2 kids ( 8 and almost 5) and about to drown (cost of living and lack of decent wages). Finally I called my mom and said OKAY I'LL MOVE!! Not sure I can transfer but not sure I want to work in Chesterfield. Going to check things out in April and moving the first week in June.

Assuming the children's hospital will take care of our autism spectrum and juvenile arthritis stuff. I'm well aware of the weather there and know to stay away from east st. Louis and north county, downtown, and ANYWHERE in Illinois (since i'm a single mom and per what my cousins told me). I'm only going to have 800 a month until I have whatever extra income I get from a job. The 800 is money (not through a court agreement) from "dad" and hoping its enough to live in a decent not too rural with a good school they can both go to and have great test scores. Since its just going to be sent to me via bank transfer is that okay in order to rent a place or??

"Dad" is concerned they (the kids) will be made fun of for being Californians as I was made fun of in cali for being from Texas. They really are TRUE Californians and will lecture a smoker too.

Where ever I might work I want to be close to home meaning I don't want to drive 20 mins each way. I also don't want to live next to numerous sex offenders (I checked and WOW).

Anyone...any thoughts....about ANYTHING?
you don't say what your occupation is or what kind of work you will be looking for - that is going to make a difference in where you will want to live if you want a 20 minute or less commute. I live 8 miles from midtown and it takes me 20 minutes on most days..

If all you have is $800 a month i would suggest trying to stay with family for now. $800 is going to be pretty tough to find a place big enough for the three of you and in a good area w/good schools.

No one will make fun of you or the kids being from California- i moved out here almost 4 years ago after being a native Californian and no one cares. They will of course ask "why"

good luck

Old 02-05-2015, 12:03 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,678,462 times
Can your kids share rooms in the short term? $800 can get you a 2 bdrm for sure in a mid-county, central location, area better than where you're currently looking with good schools.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
you don't say what your occupation is or what kind of work you will be looking for - that is going to make a difference in where you will want to live if you want a 20 minute or less commute. I live 8 miles from midtown and it takes me 20 minutes on most days..

If all you have is $800 a month i would suggest trying to stay with family for now. $800 is going to be pretty tough to find a place big enough for the three of you and in a good area w/good schools.

No one will make fun of you or the kids being from California- i moved out here almost 4 years ago after being a native Californian and no one cares. They will of course ask "why"

good luck
Strongly suited in Loss Prevention/Retail/Customer Service. I just want to work PT and not have to drive forever.

My family lives in St. Charles going all the way down to Farmington. I don't mind living near them but since I've lived on my own more than 5 years now I'm wanting to keep it that way. Is House Springs or Fenton too far south for the children's hospital/main jobs?

Old 02-05-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
Can your kids share rooms in the short term? $800 can get you a 2 bdrm for sure in a mid-county, central location, area better than where you're currently looking with good schools.

yeah just need a 2 bd. Can't afford private schools and since we are moving in June I think i'll miss the lottery for magnet/charter schools.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:18 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,678,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krismoshes View Post
yeah just need a 2 bd. Can't afford private schools and since we are moving in June I think i'll miss the lottery for magnet/charter schools.
Look in Brentwood, Rock Hill. I know that there are places for under $800 in those areas. Both good school districts, central location.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
Look in Brentwood, Rock Hill. I know that there are places for under $800 in those areas. Both good school districts, central location.
Thanks. I'll be sure to do that. Any thoughts on the area by grants farm or near lemay ferry? Idk why but I love those areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis