Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 03:22 PM

4,677 posts, read 2,060,496 times

Advertisements

I am new to the St. Louis area and I'm trying to find a private kindergarden-grade school for my 4 year old son, Tyler. The area doesnt matter, I am willing to drive. I do want the best academically for him but within a reasonable price range. Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 04:15 PM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,224 times
What is a reasonable price range? Has he been to pre-school, and if so, what type was it (Montessori, parochial, etc.)? What are his interests?

Old 01-11-2008, 06:49 PM

Reasonable is under 10,000 a year. I called a school and it was 15,000 a year. He has been to pre-school since he was two. He likes working on his studies on the computer.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:38 PM
TGS

For under 10,000 a year, the best schools are the parochial schools. This area has a HUGE amount of these schools, most of them excellent. You aren't going to get a truly "exclusive" type of independent school for that price, but don't worry, many of the parochial schools are just as well regarded.

The best selection will be the Catholic schools, but there are also some good Lutheran, Baptist, and general Christian schools. Do you have a preference? Also, what area of town are you in? I know you said that you are willing to drive, but there are top-of-the-line Catholic schools in all areas, so we should be able to narrow it down. You can save the long drive for when he gets into St. Louis University High School.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:56 PM

441 posts, read 2,108,411 times
Atonement Lutheran School in Florissant. Don't consider anything else. It's the best of the best.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:23 PM

I would prefer a catholic school for him but second choice would be a christian school. Thanks.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:24 AM
TGS

If you want a good Catholic school, then you should have no trouble. Your first choice should be your local parish school. If you live anywhere in West County, the inner ring suburbs south of Clayton, or South St. Louis, then your parish school should be very good. I can only think of three or four schools in the City or West County that I wouldn't send my kid to.

If you don't like your parish school, then here are a few well-regarded schools in each area:

St. Louis City:
St. Ambrose on the Hill
St. Margaret of Scotland in Shaw
St. Gabriel in St. Louis Hills

Clayton/UCity:
Our Lady of Lourdes

Kirkwood/Webster Groves:
Mary Queen of Peace
St. Peter

West County:
Ascension
Holy Infant
Christ Prince of Peace

St. Charles:
Academy of the Sacred Heart
St. Charles Borromeo

These schools do have good name recognition, if that is important to you. If you are out in deep South or North County, or the Metro East, I really don't know the schools that well, since I don't have friends with school-aged kids that live in those areas. The Academy of the Sacred Heart has the most historic, beautiful school grounds of all the schools on the list.

Good luck!

Old 02-22-2008, 02:56 PM

68 posts, read 316,701 times
Hey grmngrl8203
We have been doing the Kindergarten school search as well. Our son will start in Fall '08. The city has good Magnet choices but you have to live in the city. We found a couple we are really interested in in the west county area. A christian school, West County Christian with tuition around 5,000 and Chesterfield Montessori at about 10,000. We go for interviews in March. The Montessori looks to have the best curriculum so far though. Our son had gotten accepted to a Gifted and Talented Magnet here in raleigh so we were looking for something comparable. good luck with your search

Old 02-22-2008, 03:32 PM
TGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahalemama View Post
Hey grmngrl8203
We have been doing the Kindergarten school search as well. Our son will start in Fall '08. The city has good Magnet choices but you have to live in the city. We found a couple we are really interested in in the west county area. A christian school, West County Christian with tuition around 5,000 and Chesterfield Montessori at about 10,000. We go for interviews in March. The Montessori looks to have the best curriculum so far though. Our son had gotten accepted to a Gifted and Talented Magnet here in raleigh so we were looking for something comparable. good luck with your search
If you are going to live in West County, then check out the public schools first. Most of them are very good and have gifted programs.

Also, if your child is "non-black" (their term, not mine) and you live in most areas of West County, then your child is eligible for the city magnet schools under the desegregation program.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:53 PM

68 posts, read 316,701 times
Hey TGS
Cool thanks for the info, I did not know that. He is biracial white and east indian so I guess that would fall under the "non-black" rule. I know these terms they come up with are too much sometimes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis