Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 01:10 PM

1 posts, read 8,432 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am moving from Dallas to St. Louis as my job demands so.. I am staying here next to the masjid and have many muslim families staying near by.. I am looking similarly the place where i can rent the apartment in St. Louis.. I have two kids 8 & 4 yrs of age..

Any suggestions would be really hepful

I have googled reflection cove in Manchester MO apartments which is just a mile away from masjid.. do we have any indian / pakistani muslim population living in the society? or any other good suggestions plz?

looking for early response as i need to decide in couple of days

Jazakallah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 06:52 PM

154 posts, read 346,181 times
Maryland Heights has a 14% Asian-American population. Of that percentage, I believe a large number of folks have Indian or Pakistan roots.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:44 AM

3 posts, read 42,960 times
Reflection Cove is known as "Rejection" Cove around here because that is where area divorcees live when they are kicked out of their house.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:26 PM

241 posts, read 221,388 times
Default Welcome to Saint Louis

I am personally not a huge fan of outer ring Saint Louis County suburbs but if you are looking to connect with Muslim people especially the 30+ plus crowd or married East Indians with children Manchester/Valley Park is your best bet for the south and Maryland Heights for the North with Creve Couer in the West being a bit more affluent but with a significant Muslim population. One of my first jobs was a leasing director at an Apartment Community called "Waterford West" it's right off Big Bend and Huntington Hill. Half of our residents were foreign mostly Hispanics and Pakistani. I hope you have a dependable car all of the neighborhoods listed are a bit isolated and we don't have dependable public transit. WELCOME TO SAINT LOUIS!

Old 04-05-2015, 08:53 PM

7 posts, read 30,422 times
Tausifk,
Please do let me know what you find. I am also considering moving to STL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tausifk View Post
Hi,
I am moving from Dallas to St. Louis as my job demands so.. I am staying here next to the masjid and have many muslim families staying near by.. I am looking similarly the place where i can rent the apartment in St. Louis.. I have two kids 8 & 4 yrs of age..

I have googled reflection cove in Manchester MO apartments which is just a mile away from masjid.. do we have any indian / pakistani muslim population living in the society? or any other good suggestions plz?

Jazakallah

Old 04-06-2015, 04:48 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,942,356 times
Quote:
Hi,

Jazakallah
Chesterfield is another area to look - my friends bought some land there in a new development and they said most of the community is Indian

Old 04-07-2015, 08:02 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:
Hi,

Jazakallah
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmaduhhs View Post
Tausifk,
Please do let me know what you find. I am also considering moving to STL.
Salam Tausif and Ahmad.

Desi community is mostly located in what we call "West County". This is a well diversified and educated community mostly comprised of professionals from medical, engineering and IT backgrounds.

Cities of Ballwin and Manchester is where most desis live. City of 'Town and Country' is more upscale where the 'big fish' live.

Couple of things you need to ask yourself.

First: Kids schooling.

Second: work location.

The main and biggest Islamic Center, School and Masjid is, Dar ul Islam Masjid and Al Salam Day School located at 517 Weidman Road, Ballwin, MO 63011

If you are planning to send the kids to Al Salam Day school then your good options are the following three apartment complexes

1 - Park Meadows apartments
2 - Forest Lake apartments
3 - Orchard Village apartments

These are not really upscale apartment complexes but not really bad either. Masjid/school, desi shopping are all within two mile radius. These apartments are located on the Southern side of the masjid

Downtown is about 15 miles from here if that's where you are going to be driving for work. About 45 odd minutes commute each way in rush hour. There is also pubic transportation available.

Please know that Al-Salam Day school recently got Dual accreditation from Advanc-Ed and CISNA, (I think there are about 250 odd such schools in the entire country). The school has it's short comings in sporting activities, some desi politics, light chaos at pick n drop times etc, but usually the curriculum is one year ahead of state for every class.

Some kids have gone on to graduating from here and getting admitted to Collegiate School of Medicine & Bioscience (one of the best high schools in St. Louis for advance learners and gifted kids). Al-Salam School provides services from Day Care to grade 10th students.

It also has Sunday only school and Hifz programs.

If you plan to send your kids to public school then the best school district is Parkway West.
Really top notch schools. To get into the Parkway West schooling zone, the best apartments are Willowbend Apartments located at 14343 Willow Bend Park, Town and Country, MO 63017.

These are also nice and clean apartments that Usually these fill quickly. There is a 2 bedroom available in the next few weeks if you wanna go ahead a reserve, do it now. They don't last long.

These apartments are located on the Northern Side of Masjid within a couple of miles radius. Desi shopping etc is really close by. You can easily live here and still send the kids to Al-Salam Day school. It's not far.

The other masjid in the West County is Northwest Islamic located at 10543 Lackland Rd, St. Louis, MO 63114.
Not far from Dar ul Salam. This is also a good masjid that is smaller and has Sunday School only. Desi shopping is also close by.

Public School district around there is OKish but nothing extra ordinary.

There are, I think, about 12 Masjids in the St. Louis area. You could also plan to live in downtown (that I don't suggest) where there isn't much of a desi community but there are masjids. The prominent ones would be Masjid Bilal where mostly St. Louis University Students gather to worship, and then there is a Bosnian Islamic Center in Southern part of downtown, located at 318 Lemay Ferry Rd, St. Louis, MO 63125. Obviously it's most attended by the Bosnian Muslim Community.

St. Louis is a great town. It's good for professionals in the Medical and IT industry. We have a great sporting community, and we also play cricket - both with soft and hard ball.

The city also has it's short comings, for example, just like any other city in the nation, the suburbs have been hit by struggling economy so doing small business is extremely tough here. The air tends to be a little dry so the skin requires care but we do have all four seasons in good capacity.

If you guys have any other questions, you can ask here or send me a pvt message.

Welcome to St. Louis.

Old 05-25-2015, 05:03 PM

Asalamu Alaikum Waramatullahi Wabarakatuh

Where is the Arab community?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Salam Tausif and Ahmad.

Desi community is mostly located in what we call "West County". This is a well diversified and educated community mostly comprised of professionals from medical, engineering and IT backgrounds.

Cities of Ballwin and Manchester is where most desis live. City of 'Town and Country' is more upscale where the 'big fish' live.

Couple of things you need to ask yourself.

First: Kids schooling.

Second: work location.

The main and biggest Islamic Center, School and Masjid is, Dar ul Islam Masjid and Al Salam Day School located at 517 Weidman Road, Ballwin, MO 63011

If you are planning to send the kids to Al Salam Day school then your good options are the following three apartment complexes

1 - Park Meadows apartments
2 - Forest Lake apartments
3 - Orchard Village apartments

These are not really upscale apartment complexes but not really bad either. Masjid/school, desi shopping are all within two mile radius. These apartments are located on the Southern side of the masjid

Downtown is about 15 miles from here if that's where you are going to be driving for work. About 45 odd minutes commute each way in rush hour. There is also pubic transportation available.

Please know that Al-Salam Day school recently got Dual accreditation from Advanc-Ed and CISNA, (I think there are about 250 odd such schools in the entire country). The school has it's short comings in sporting activities, some desi politics, light chaos at pick n drop times etc, but usually the curriculum is one year ahead of state for every class.

Some kids have gone on to graduating from here and getting admitted to Collegiate School of Medicine & Bioscience (one of the best high schools in St. Louis for advance learners and gifted kids). Al-Salam School provides services from Day Care to grade 10th students.

It also has Sunday only school and Hifz programs.

If you plan to send your kids to public school then the best school district is Parkway West.
Really top notch schools. To get into the Parkway West schooling zone, the best apartments are Willowbend Apartments located at 14343 Willow Bend Park, Town and Country, MO 63017.

These are also nice and clean apartments that Usually these fill quickly. There is a 2 bedroom available in the next few weeks if you wanna go ahead a reserve, do it now. They don't last long.

These apartments are located on the Northern Side of Masjid within a couple of miles radius. Desi shopping etc is really close by. You can easily live here and still send the kids to Al-Salam Day school. It's not far.

The other masjid in the West County is Northwest Islamic located at 10543 Lackland Rd, St. Louis, MO 63114.
Not far from Dar ul Salam. This is also a good masjid that is smaller and has Sunday School only. Desi shopping is also close by.

Public School district around there is OKish but nothing extra ordinary.

There are, I think, about 12 Masjids in the St. Louis area. You could also plan to live in downtown (that I don't suggest) where there isn't much of a desi community but there are masjids. The prominent ones would be Masjid Bilal where mostly St. Louis University Students gather to worship, and then there is a Bosnian Islamic Center in Southern part of downtown, located at 318 Lemay Ferry Rd, St. Louis, MO 63125. Obviously it's most attended by the Bosnian Muslim Community.

St. Louis is a great town. It's good for professionals in the Medical and IT industry. We have a great sporting community, and we also play cricket - both with soft and hard ball.

The city also has it's short comings, for example, just like any other city in the nation, the suburbs have been hit by struggling economy so doing small business is extremely tough here. The air tends to be a little dry so the skin requires care but we do have all four seasons in good capacity.

If you guys have any other questions, you can ask here or send me a pvt message.

Welcome to St. Louis.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:43 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmaduhhs View Post
Asalamu Alaikum Waramatullahi Wabarakatuh

Where is the Arab community?
wa laikum Salam.

Arab community that I know a little of are mostly physicians, and they all live in the same West County area where most Pakistani Indian Muslims live.

There is a very small new Masjid and school in Valley Park, inaugurated by Brother Jamal whom I personally respect a lot. Brother Jamal is the former principal of Al-Salam Day School.
Al-manara has a significant Arab attendance.

Browser Not Supported

Old 05-25-2015, 11:26 PM

Thank you for your prompt replies brother. Do you pray Isha at the Ballwin Mesjid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
wa laikum Salam.

Arab community that I know a little of are mostly physicians, and they all live in the same West County area where most Pakistani Indian Muslims live.

There is a very small new Masjid and school in Valley Park, inaugurated by Brother Jamal whom I personally respect a lot. Brother Jamal is the former principal of Al-Salam Day School.
Al-manara has a significant Arab attendance.

Browser Not Supported
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis