U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-14-2008, 04:14 PM

3,832 posts, read 7,672,626 times
Default Coming Home...sort of

Hello fellow MO friends. Well, I lived in the Show Me State for about the first 24 years of my life then I did something foolish and got a job in Texas. Well after being chewed up and spit out here over the last 5 years I think I'm going to try to get back to MO.

So. I'd like to see if I could find something in STL to do. And when I find it I'm going to need a house and a place to live. Maybe just on the outskirts or something. I'm not a big city guy really but I work in the Aerospace feild so by nature I'm going to have to live in the vicinity of the action. Looking for about a $200k house in an area where my kids won't get capped in a drive-by....and also a halfway ok school....one where the pregant teen rate is less than 10%.

Seriously. Decent housing area, decent school and don't want to pay $1mil for a house to get that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 05:43 PM

5,824 posts, read 11,221,714 times
Finding a $200k house in St. Louis and the surburbs is not hard. Most of the city is safe, although some of the north side isn't. If you're going to a city school, I'd suggest a charter, magnet, or private school. Most of the suburb schools are fine.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:30 AM

well that's good to hear. I'll continue researching.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:08 AM

12,062 posts, read 18,257,959 times
So if you're in Aerospace it's not a stretch to think you may well get a job at Boeing? In which case I'd look into St. Charles/St. Peters. It seems like every dad of every kid I grew up with was an engineer or similar at Boeing.

Schools in St. Charles county are typically strong (Francis Howell is typically ranked the best, above St. Charles or Fort Zumwalt- though none of them are bad) -though not the strongest in the metro which helps keep prices down - but something like 80% of the kids in my high school class went on to college or university and I'd be shocked if the pregnancy was above 3%.

You can get a lot of house for 200k and you'll be an easy commute to Boeing.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:26 AM

I work for Lockheed Martin in Fort Worth right now. Hopeing to make the move to Boeing STL. (But am open to other things.)

So St. Charles/St. Peters then? I'll take a look there.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:17 PM

25 posts, read 71,839 times
I live a couple miles from Boeing's missle facilities in St. Charles. It's pretty easy to get a nice home for under $200k. A lot of St. Charles neighborhoods are starting to turn over.........my house is in a neighborhood that is 35ish years old and many of the original residents are beginning to retire and move.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:17 PM

77 posts, read 267,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
Hello fellow MO friends. Well, I lived in the Show Me State for about the first 24 years of my life then I did something foolish and got a job in Texas. Well after being chewed up and spit out here over the last 5 years I think I'm going to try to get back to MO.
LOL!!! Well, glad we're not the only ones that didn't just LOVE the Lone Star state! We toughed it out almost 15 loooong years and never did enjoy the heat, traffic, over-crowdedness and general rudeness.

Can't give you much advice on where to settle back at because we're not quite where we want to be either, and will be researching that for awhile too....but where ever you decide, I'm sure you won't regret it!!

-Rhonda
Olivette, MO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis