Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2015, 10:52 AM

2 posts, read 2,409 times

Advertisements

I'm a recent college grad moving to STL in January. What are some good safe places for a 22yo black female to live? I haven't really done research, I'll just research any suggestions given.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 01:27 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinzie_kinz View Post
I'm a recent college grad moving to STL in January. What are some good safe places for a 22yo black female to live? I haven't really done research, I'll just research any suggestions given.

Thanks in advance!
It depends upon personal lifestyle choices. Urban or suburban? Price range? Rent or purchase? Where would you work?

Old 11-23-2015, 03:22 PM

29 posts, read 34,620 times
Central West End, DeBaliviere, Clayton, Richmond Heights, Ladue, Ballwin, Chesterfield, Wildwood. Plenty of options and as previous poster informed it depends on your lifestyle choices.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:13 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,927,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanenthusiast View Post
Central West End, DeBaliviere, Clayton, Richmond Heights, Ladue, Ballwin, Chesterfield, Wildwood. Plenty of options and as previous poster informed it depends on your lifestyle choices.
Downtown, Soulard, Central West End, The Loop, The Grove, Tower Grove South for starters

Old 11-23-2015, 11:21 PM

2 posts, read 2,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
It depends upon personal lifestyle choices. Urban or suburban? Price range? Rent or purchase? Where would you work?
suburban, $700-$900 and renting, working near the airport.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:52 PM

685 posts, read 767,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinzie_kinz View Post
suburban, $700-$900 and renting, working near the airport.
With those choices, you have a ton of options within 10 minutes of Lambert. Hazelwood, Bridgeton, Maryland Heights, St. Charles, or Florissant. All are mostly suburban and on I-270 or I-70. You can't get any closer. $700-$900 will get you a great place in any of them, and a house in many of them.

As a general note, however, I would avoid anything east of I-170. The area between Lindbergh and I-170 is getting rougher as well, although it's certainly not a ghetto.

Old 11-24-2015, 03:36 PM

662 posts, read 1,049,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
With those choices, you have a ton of options within 10 minutes of Lambert. Hazelwood, Bridgeton, Maryland Heights, St. Charles, or Florissant. All are mostly suburban and on I-270 or I-70. You can't get any closer. $700-$900 will get you a great place in any of them, and a house in many of them.

As a general note, however, I would avoid anything east of I-170. The area between Lindbergh and I-170 is getting rougher as well, although it's certainly not a ghetto.
Yeah the owner of a car was just got shot (near the intersection of 170 and 270). It's certainly going down hill. Hopefully it can get contained.

Old 11-24-2015, 04:20 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,493 times
When I was young and single and living on my own I was in U City in the area of Delmar and 170. I loved living there. Close proximity to everything and a more diverse area.

Maryland Heights would be a more suburban area but a safe bet...just not as fun IME...I grew up in Creve Coeur not too far from there. i would not personally choose St Charles. It's on the more racist side as suburbs go. ( I have friends there and that's a stereotype, but it's not unwarranted as stereotypes go...not everyone is like that but more than average) Not my cup of tea although the old St Charles area is great. Brentwood or Clayton could be good for metrolink access although I haven't priced rentals and Clayton is probably too pricey. Parts of Maplewood too...great restaurants, hip up and coming area, metrolink access. Really depends on the vibe you want.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:04 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
i would not personally choose St Charles. It's on the more racist side as suburbs go. ( I have friends there and that's a stereotype, but it's not unwarranted as stereotypes go...not everyone is like that but more than average) Not my cup of tea although the old St Charles area is great. Brentwood or Clayton could be good for metrolink access although I haven't priced rentals and Clayton is probably too pricey. Parts of Maplewood too...great restaurants, hip up and coming area, metrolink access. Really depends on the vibe you want.
I personally know a few Black professionals who live throughout St. Charles County who don't have any complaints of racism. However, The overall climate may be a bit more socially challenging for a young professional who is new to the area. Especially if you are from a southern city.

I would recommend Maryland Heights, Creve Coeur, and University City. University City will provide more social opportunities with Blacks and many other professionals. It feels a bit more urban than your typical suburb. Plus it will give you quicker access to the city where you have more progressive social vibe. Blacks professionals generally socialize in all areas of St. Louis city.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:10 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,883 times
Maryland Heights & Creve Coeur are popular suburban options for the young professional crowd. Easy commute to the airport and within your budget, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis