Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 07:20 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,599,236 times

Advertisements

Couple more notes:
The best school districts are largely along/between I-64 and I-44.

Finding walkable, complete suburbs becomes mostly impossible outside of the I-270 loop (you can walk around Ballwin, but you can't walk to anything).

Spoede is pronounced "SPAY-dee".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 09:52 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,861,166 times
Note that I-64 is also commonly known as Highway 40.

Old 12-04-2015, 12:01 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,483,809 times
I just moved to STL (from Philadelphia). What I found is that STL is much more expensive than I think most people would expect, at least if you want to be in the better parts of St Louis County. I was looking at the I-64/40 Corridor, from I-170 west to Chesterfield. Just about anything in that area is going to be expensive, relative to most parts of the country, unless you go far to the North or South. Also, there wasn't much inventory to chose from and houses that were priced correctly and updated moved very quickly. We ended up buying in Creve Coeur, which is a nice area and conveniently located, but isn't cheap. I wouldn't even look at areas like Ladue and Clayton, unless you are looking to spend $1M+ . . . and there are a lot of million dollar homes throughout the entire area.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:46 PM

685 posts, read 766,508 times
There are large areas of St. Louis County that are safe, affordable, and have great schools. Nearly all of South County meets this definition. Almost all of St. Charles, Jefferson, and Madison County also meet this definition.

You don't have to live along Highway 40 to be in an excellent area.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:00 PM

662 posts, read 1,048,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
I just moved to STL (from Philadelphia). What I found is that STL is much more expensive than I think most people would expect, at least if you want to be in the better parts of St Louis County. I was looking at the I-64/40 Corridor, from I-170 west to Chesterfield. Just about anything in that area is going to be expensive, relative to most parts of the country, unless you go far to the North or South. Also, there wasn't much inventory to chose from and houses that were priced correctly and updated moved very quickly. We ended up buying in Creve Coeur, which is a nice area and conveniently located, but isn't cheap. I wouldn't even look at areas like Ladue and Clayton, unless you are looking to spend $1M+ . . . and there are a lot of million dollar homes throughout the entire area.
That's the myth about St. Louis. It isn't exactly affordable if you're going to live in a ''nicer'' area. There are parts of South City and North County that are relatively safe and affordable...but you're also not extremely close to a lot of the good shopping centers. Meh.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:19 PM

216 posts, read 627,680 times
Totally agree with the misconception around affordability. If you don't care about schools, then there are some safe and affordable areas, but in the better school districts the housing prices are higher than you would expect .

Old 12-04-2015, 11:45 PM

164 posts, read 377,471 times
I think it would be a mistake to think that all city schools are poor, because it's simply not the case.

Old 12-05-2015, 12:01 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,011,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kp8888 View Post
thanks for the tips! I've been reading other posts and surprised that there so many lot of good public school options in these areas. Where we live now, most go to private/catholic b/c public district is so large. Based on past posts, it looks like areas w/good schools are Kirkwood, Brentwood, Olivette, Richmond Heights, Chesterfield, St Charles, Webster Grove...it's just confusion which are the inner ring/urban vs and which are suburbs around big box stores? Also any I should rule out that is over budget...from what I've read Clayton will be too expensive. Is Ladue reasonable?
You might add Crestwood to your list. Lindbergh schools are very good, maybe more reasonable on price than Kirkwood/Webster.

You give on some of the walkability, but it is mostly brick.

Old 12-05-2015, 12:09 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,011,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Kirkwood would be perfect, but for that price you'd probably be looking at 1500 sq ft. Or 2300 sq ft for $450k.

You could live in Ballwin/Manchester area, but that area is mostly cul de sacs with sidewalks; no walking to the stores, no Main St. Probably closer to your price range tough.

I hardly see brick outside of the city, which has nice neighborhoods but the public schools are not well-regarded.
There are brick houses all over: Glendale, Crestwood, parts of Kirkwood/Webster, Shrewsbury, to name a few.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:39 AM

203 posts, read 199,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
Concur.
I moved here from Albuquerque in 2012 (nice first STL summer that year heh heh :-), and while the housing costs in Oakville (far South County for our non-resident posters) were reasonable to an extent, I found the utilities, food and taxes to be much more expensive than my relocation agent told me.

To the OP - like moving anywhere else, just ensure you make detailed and calculation of your salary v COL in various STL areas, and you should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis