U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-12-2016, 06:19 PM
 
Location: Land of Free Johnson-Weld-2016
6,367 posts, read 12,025,286 times
Reputation: 6193

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twill30 View Post
Yes its a free country...don't worry about other people and their habits. I'm sure they aren't affecting you in any way. You will eat what you want and live your life like you want, but it shouldn't affect you that someone who smokes, or has tattoos or likes to eat lives the way they do...

And I would like to point out that in the St. Louis area, specifically in the City, I see TONS of people running, bike riding or walking for exercise.

Also, to say that the girls at the high school soccer practice were fat is uncalled for. What is your definition of fat? Not everyone will be a size zero! Comments like that are the reason why young girls as so self conscious about their appearance. This whole thread went from being about a positive (a new business coming to town), to fat shaming...unreal
Agree wholeheartedly. Let other people eat. It is kind of off-putting to read the comments about the fatties and how unhealthy the food in the area is. I'm on a diet, and I was kind of hoping for some food porn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-12-2016, 06:23 PM
 
Location: STL area
239 posts, read 119,103 times
Reputation: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by carloslevy View Post
I live in Oakville and work in Clayton (which I like) - please enlighten me, what relevance does this bear on obesity/unhealthy habits in the greater St. Louis area? Are you going to insinuate that unhealthy living is more endemic in certain areas of the STL metro?
It's pretty statistically accurate to assume that higher education level and higher income are associated with greater knowledge of health and fitness practices. Thus, a place like Oakville is going to have a less fit and healthy percentage of people than a place like Clayton, Ladue, Chesterfield, CWE.

It's completely inaccurate to claim that most St. Louisans are unhealthy, lazy, out of shape. .

I'm in my 40s too, in a different part of town (West County) and I literally know NO ONE who is the way you describe. NO ONE. Everyone is concerned on some level with health and fitness. I don't know anyone who doesn't work out or watch their diet. Some are more obsessive and some are more laid back, but everyone I know makes a great effort. And some people, myself included, put in a lot of effort, but are NOT perfect.

I guess this is what I love about STL though. There are two type of people in the world...those that will look at an obese person out jogging and think "Awesome work!" and those that think "OMG that person is fat!" St Louis is more of the first type.

As for the restaurant...I don't find burgers to be worth the splurge, but my husband does (that 6 ft tall, 150 lb model of gluttony that he is).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2016, 06:34 PM
 
203 posts, read 101,490 times
Reputation: 244
[quote=PerseusVeil;42988773]I am. The city dwellers who I know are more likely to be in shape, and more into healthy styles, go running in Forest Park, etc. Granted that's anecdotal, but a "hip" and "healthy" establishment is going to rather be in a hot neighborhood in the city rather than some suburb that considers Applebees to be fine dining.



I'm going to comment on this final narrow-minded, blanket statement and then I am done with this thread.

I have touted the City of St. Louis, its amentities, parks, restaurants and have consistently said that I regret not moving into one of the safe pockets of said neighborhood. I went with what the relocation people suggested and ended up in Oakville, so sue me, I have a nice home in a safe and quiet area.
I have happily ran with groups in Forest Park, downtown, Soulard etc. and enjoyed the local fare (even enduring pathetically slow service, which is a common ailment in this town).

I have also enjoyed dining at Niche, Citizen Kane, Fleming's and other local fine dining for professional and personal. I have never set foot once in an Applebee's, their food is atrocious. The only place in SoCo I've been to is Frankie G's because it's locally owned and it's quite good.

A "hip" and "healthy" establishment as you say will be populated by generally younger people, and thus the law of averages will dictate that they will be "in shape" (albeit quasi-alcoholics for many of them here) because (1) they are young and (2) they are getting started with their careers and have limited discretionary income. In contemporary terms, "hipsters." And there are some fatties in that group as well.

Don't label all suburbanites as the same make and model. I did my urban living in Denver in my 20s and it was fantastic and I loved every minute of it. I also respect the younger folks in STL City trying to make it better. Yes, the sense of urgency and work ethic could be better, but I see a bright future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2016, 06:36 PM
 
203 posts, read 101,490 times
Reputation: 244
[quote=STL74;42988924]It's pretty statistically accurate to assume that higher education level and higher income are associated with greater knowledge of health and fitness practices. Thus, a place like Oakville is going to have a less fit and healthy percentage of people than a place like Clayton, Ladue, Chesterfield, CWE.

It's completely inaccurate to claim that most St. Louisans are unhealthy, lazy, out of shape. .

quote]

How many educated, wealthy individuals do you know that smoke cigarettes or eat sh*t food?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2016, 07:36 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
1,221 posts, read 1,898,403 times
Reputation: 743
After doing a quick Google search, I found that...are you sitting down? There are no fewer than FIFTEEN Shake Shacks in New York City. Why is this not making national news as a public health crisis? Have any of you seen how lazy, overweight, and out of shape New Yorkers are? They simply have no self-control around all those Shake Shacks. Something must be done!

I urge concerned individuals to voice their concerns to the proper authorities and keep this disaster waiting to happen out of Missouri: http://health.mo.gov
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2016, 08:18 PM
PDF PDF started this thread
 
10,716 posts, read 7,705,214 times
Reputation: 5985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
After doing a quick Google search, I found that...are you sitting down? There are no fewer than FIFTEEN Shake Shacks in New York City. Why is this not making national news as a public health crisis? Have any of you seen how lazy, overweight, and out of shape New Yorkers are? They simply have no self-control around all those Shake Shacks. Something must be done!

I urge concerned individuals to voice their concerns to the proper authorities and keep this disaster waiting to happen out of Missouri: Home | Missouri Department of Health & Senior Services
LOL! Shake Shack is a NY-grown company, just like JetBlue is. That would be why there are so many locations there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2016, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Land of Free Johnson-Weld-2016
6,367 posts, read 12,025,286 times
Reputation: 6193
[quote=carloslevy;42989037]
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
It's pretty statistically accurate to assume that higher education level and higher income are associated with greater knowledge of health and fitness practices. Thus, a place like Oakville is going to have a less fit and healthy percentage of people than a place like Clayton, Ladue, Chesterfield, CWE.

It's completely inaccurate to claim that most St. Louisans are unhealthy, lazy, out of shape. .

quote]

How many educated, wealthy individuals do you know that smoke cigarettes or eat sh*t food?

Thank you.
Well let us not insult food. There are tons of people without any food now. But as for smoking cigarette, Queen Margrethe of Denmark (Reina Margareta de Dinamarca) is my favorite smoker. Because she is old, she does not seem to get much press but she also has fabulous fashion sense. She is in her 70 or so and smoked for decades. She looks good to me. Here are some link and photos:

http://www.que.es..../ultimas-notici...ia-f82365.html


El último pitillo en público de Margarita de Dinamarca | Actualidad | EL PAÍS

HRH in pretty jewelry: Casas y Familias Reales: Tiaras Dinamarca
HRH in fab getup: Casas y Familias Reales: Tiaras Dinamarca
more fab getup: The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Flashback Friday: Queen Margrethe's Style


There is evidence that not everyone who smokes will get lung cancer. And conversely, some who do not smoke will get lung cancer. It is all down to genetics as far as scientists seem to be able to tell. Anyway Margaretha is extremely beautiful to me and inspirational as a woman. I'd not recommend smoking, but let us not continue to put ppl down. Rare 'healthy' smokers' lungs explained - BBC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2016, 03:18 PM
 
3,136 posts, read 1,608,660 times
Reputation: 2046
Cigarettes are disgusting and unhealthy for the smoker and everyone around them. That's a much bigger health issue than second-hand milk shake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2016, 05:21 PM
 
Location: Chicago
2,134 posts, read 1,521,206 times
Reputation: 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by carloslevy View Post
I'm going to comment on this final narrow-minded, blanket statement and then I am done with this thread.

I have touted the City of St. Louis, its amentities, parks, restaurants and have consistently said that I regret not moving into one of the safe pockets of said neighborhood. I went with what the relocation people suggested and ended up in Oakville, so sue me, I have a nice home in a safe and quiet area.
I have happily ran with groups in Forest Park, downtown, Soulard etc. and enjoyed the local fare (even enduring pathetically slow service, which is a common ailment in this town).

I have also enjoyed dining at Niche, Citizen Kane, Fleming's and other local fine dining for professional and personal. I have never set foot once in an Applebee's, their food is atrocious. The only place in SoCo I've been to is Frankie G's because it's locally owned and it's quite good.

A "hip" and "healthy" establishment as you say will be populated by generally younger people, and thus the law of averages will dictate that they will be "in shape" (albeit quasi-alcoholics for many of them here) because (1) they are young and (2) they are getting started with their careers and have limited discretionary income. In contemporary terms, "hipsters." And there are some fatties in that group as well.

Don't label all suburbanites as the same make and model. I did my urban living in Denver in my 20s and it was fantastic and I loved every minute of it. I also respect the younger folks in STL City trying to make it better. Yes, the sense of urgency and work ethic could be better, but I see a bright future.
I decided to change my original reply since it was probably overly snarky, but I will still say that you generalized St. Louis just as much as I did. If you want to bring up your anecdotal evidence regarding how you view the locals' lifestyles, how they view yours, etc, then that's great, but don't get all outraged when I point out that you might find more people who have a similar lifestyle as yours, healthier eating options, etc, in the city. It's by no means any more "narrow-minded," nor an example of a "blanket statement," than your stories regarding metro St. Louis and its residents in this thread and others.

Either way, nice talking to you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top