Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 11:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,013 times

Advertisements

Is chesterfield MO gay friendly? I'll be going to St Louis Community College Forest Park, how is it with minorities? What is chesterfield politically?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 09:10 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,733,111 times
I wouldn't suggest that area for you. It's a mostly white, upper-middle class, boring suburb about 30 minutes from the city. I don't think it's necessary gay unfriendly, but you won't find very many of them out there. This gay man, for one, wouldn't want to live there. For gays and minorities I would definitely only look inside 170. Plus, you'll be a lot closer to STLCC Forest Park.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:34 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,374,143 times
I live in Chesterfield right now. I'd recommend it for families but if you are young, no kids...it's pretty unexciting. As far as I can tell it's not a gay unfriendly place and there is a gay couple in my neighborhood and they are very much in the social scene for the hood (mid forties professional couple). You are just not going to find much of a gay population here. Racial diversity is increasing in terms of the Asian, South Asian, Middle Eastern population. Still, it's a place people move for the big house, the yard, and the excellent public schools...not for the excitement.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:18 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,571,449 times
It's a more Republican part of town than in the city. I don't think people will spit on you or anything.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:42 PM

2 posts, read 2,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
I wouldn't suggest that area for you. It's a mostly white, upper-middle class, boring suburb about 30 minutes from the city. I don't think it's necessary gay unfriendly, but you won't find very many of them out there. This gay man, for one, wouldn't want to live there. For gays and minorities I would definitely only look inside 170. Plus, you'll be a lot closer to STLCC Forest Park.
I agree with this poster. Inside 170 is the way to go. There are many welcoming, progressive communities in this area such as Ferguson, Kinlock, Pagedale, Wellston, Pine Lawn, and Velda City.
Good luck!

Old 02-23-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Body DarstWebbe View Post
I agree with this poster. Inside 170 is the way to go. There are many welcoming, progressive communities in this area such as Ferguson, Kinlock, Pagedale, Wellston, Pine Lawn, and Velda City.
Good luck!
Ignore all of this

Old 02-23-2016, 05:19 PM

7,098 posts, read 8,866,617 times
I would recommend The Loop, Central West End and possibly The Grove for starters. If you want the suburbs I would recommend Richmond Heights, University City, Brentwood and Maplewood.

I know a gay Black couple who lives in Chesterfield but they are in their 50s and only one of three Blacks in their development. They have no problems but it isn't a place for young people nor os it a networking type area for their demographic.

Old 02-23-2016, 05:54 PM

15,972 posts, read 9,332,376 times
Quote:
For gays and minorities I would definitely only look inside 170.
If a straight guy from Chesterfield said the above, imagine the raging fits the PC crowd would have.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:23 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,374,143 times
Quote:
For gays and minorities I would definitely only look inside 170.
I definitely don't want to piggy back on the other guy...at.all.

But

This is fairly inaccurate. Creve Coeur and Chesterfield have some of the fastest growing minority populations in St. Louis, especially Asian and Indian families...speaking as a mixed race family currently living out here I would discourage a young, single person of any descent, race, sexual orientation, etc. from moving out here, but ANY family of ANY descent, race, sexual orientation, etc. would be perfectly fine here...IF the suburban life is what you are looking for. It turns out this suburban life involves way too much driving for us, so we are moving closer in...but it's been good to us otherwise.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
If a straight guy from Chesterfield said the above, imagine the raging fits the PC crowd would have.
You're right. I probably should have phrased that better. But I still stand by my original statement that OP would most likely be happier closer in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis