U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2016, 02:49 PM

18 posts, read 18,912 times

Advertisements

Hey all! I was born and raised in Alton, IL, just a few miles east of St. Louis city. I moved to Richmond, VA a couple years ago, and I hate it. My husband and I have been debating a move to STL, but I'm struggling to make up my mind.

But my problem is, I hate the area I lived in. It's rundown, too spread out, starting to get dangerous, and no longer really feels like home. So if I do move back, I'd want to be on the Missouri side. However, I've never ventured into the residential areas of STL, so I don't even know where to begin. I'd like to obviously be somewhere safe, where I don't have to worry about my car/house being broken into or being mugged just walking down the street. But I'd also like to be close to an easy route to the IL side of the river. My family still lives there, so it'd be nice to have a quick exit. Employment isn't a huge issue. My husband works retail, so as long as we're near some major chains, he'd be able to find work anywhere. We'd also be interested in buying, not renting, but our budget isn't great. We could probably only afford less than $150k.

Can anyone lend some suggestions on where to start?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 04:01 PM

5,577 posts, read 2,611,518 times
Winchester.
But it's not very close to IL; however, you should be able to rope something in for $150K.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:40 PM

2,108 posts, read 1,192,311 times
Do you want a house or a condo? Do you need a yard? Want to walk places? How big of a place do you want? Do you need to worry about schools anytime soon?

I think you could get a condo almost anywhere for your price, but a house will be more of a stretch...definitely doable but will more limit your areas. You could do parts of St. Charles County, places like Maryland Heights, Bridgeton, and the unincorporated area (try 63146 zip code) around Olive and 270 would keep you close to 270...easier to get to Alton, but still pretty affordable. You also have parts of North County, but I'm not at all familiar. I have friends in the Godfrey area and they love it...and I think Alton has a cute downtown area...but they won't send their kids to Alton public schools anymore, even though they went there.

That's all I'm really familiar with and the area that I think would make getting to Alton easier than say...South County. I think there are some great, safe parts of the city too, although being urban I do think that car break ins and such would still be a concern. I had my car broken into living on one of the nicest residential streets in Chicago...it's just an urban concern.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:51 PM

673 posts, read 655,016 times
Unless you are willing to live in North County, there isn't anywhere close to Alton in Missouri. The closest areas I would consider are Maryland Heights, Bridgeton, or St. Charles. Florissant and Hazelwood still feel ok, but I know they are in decline. However, if you considered the Metro East, you might be able to swing Edwardsville. I would personally consider Godfrey, Bethalto, parts of Granite, but I know those areas aren't exciting enough for everyone.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:08 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,167,865 times
Why do you hate Richmond? Just trying to understand what you're looking for.

Old 05-09-2016, 03:45 PM

197 posts, read 237,860 times
7629 Augusta Ave, Normandy, MO 63121 | MLS #16021227 | Zillow

We just moved to this area and love it. Cool old farm house. It's also safe and easily accessible to a metro station. 5-8 min walk down the newly update Natural Bridge Road/ corridor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis