U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 05:35 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,387 posts, read 9,439,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
Head to head:
Riverfront: cincy. A prettier river.
Neighborhoods: STL more varied. higher end better. More plentiful quality stock. No OTR, but more affordable overall. This is one area where Cincy is quite strong, but STL really does have it beat pretty soundly IMO.
Arts/entertainment/food: STL comfortably
Parochialism/insularity: pretty similar
Crime: in the urban portions, a bit lower in cin
Topography: Cindy hands down. More scenic vistas
Urbanity: STL.
Institutions/higher Ed: STL
Proxity to other points: depends upon your points of interest, but probably cincy. Chicago about the same as long as you avoid rush he in Indy, but many more short trip opps to other cities. Memphis and KC are the only fairly short drives closer to STL. Indy and Louisville are closer to CIN, Pittsburgh is driveable, Appalachians more interesting to me than Ozarks, the other Cs in Ohio, horse farms/bourbon trail in KY, etc. this is the only one that I really wish STL had among Cincy's advantages. The vistas of Mt Adams would be nice, but the weekend trips are a bigger deal to me.
Sports: depends upon what you like. College hoops and NFL to Cincy. NBA within 2 hrs in Indy. Anything else STL, and I say that as someone who grew up a Reds fan.

If I had to pick between the two, the only thing that would give me pause abt STL over Cincinnati is the fact I grew up in Indy and I have kids who would like to see their grandparents a bit more than we already do. There is a big difference between a drive that on paper is 4 hrs with little ones door to door and one that would only take me 1:45 door to door to see them. I know people who lived in both and they find STL more interesting.
That's a really good comparison, thank you. A few points, I am a huge hockey fan, so STL wins there. However, I think Cincy wins in location/proximity to other areas and also the airport...I mainly fly Delta, Cincy is a Delta hub, and they even have a direct route to Europe...I go a few times a year. My family grew up in Chicago, but I cannot stand Chicago. Minneapolis is one place I like even more than Cincinnati, but I know comparing MSP to STL or Cincy wouldn't be fair. Otherwise it seems that STL and Cincy are mostly an even match.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 05:36 PM

5,788 posts, read 10,390,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
You lived in Lake St. Louis, not St. Louis. You now live in a place with a 1% African American population.
Orange County is probably one of the most diverse places I have ever lived outside of Washington DC and NYC. Hispanic majority with almost every nationality, race and creed thrown in for schitzengiggles. i would say only 1/3 of my friends could identify as caucasian.

I really missed the diversity when I lived in Missouri.

And so what - I lived in Lake Saint Louis, which is a very nice community.

Sure it didn't have all the amenities of living in a city, but there was still plenty to do without getting bored. I was probably in the city proper at least twice a week and in the county (clayton, town and country) another two two times a week, so i know enough about Saint Louis to know what i liked and didn't like.

Last edited by DinsdalePirahna; 04-19-2016 at 05:54 PM..

Old 04-19-2016, 05:46 PM

1,450 posts, read 756,183 times
Ladue is nice; however., if you are living together and not married, they may make you move out.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A New Hope View Post
Except for the summer weather (I prefer it a bit more moderate), I disagree.
I've been here for a little over a year, love my job and where I live (CWE), have met some great people that are both fellow transplants and natives, and have had a blast trying new things not available to me in San Jose like kickball and disc golf leagues. In terms of reciprocity, the natives I know are fascinated with my NoCal wine connoisseurship and I love sharing it with them. Many fun wineries in the area.
I also like having a nice, cozy and safe place to live without forking over almost $3k/month, most of which is driven by idiotic California taxes. Government corruption and racial issues are unfortunately everywhere these days. I move forward and accentuate the positive.
We have kickball and disc golf leagues in Huntington Beach, but i'm not into hipster sports, and I prefer rowing and sailing over Quidditch (my weird sport of choice is flyball racing).

Most of the Wineries in Missouri area produced wine that had a very earthy flavor to them. Not my style.
There were a couple of good craft breweries in Missouri.

Yes, San Jose is way too expensive, as is much of the Bay Area. Fun to visit, but then you have to leave before you empty your bank account)

However, I own a 1400 sq ft condo less than one mile from the beach (if you look just right, you can actually see the ocean) and 1/4 mile to the harbor. My mortgage is only 1250/month (plus $300 HOA). In addition my winter electric bill was only $2.50 (really $2.47, but I like to round things off)

Old 04-19-2016, 06:14 PM

336 posts, read 231,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
We have kickball and disc golf leagues in Huntington Beach, but i'm not into hipster sports, and I prefer rowing and sailing over Quidditch (my weird sport of choice is flyball racing).

Most of the Wineries in Missouri area produced wine that had a very earthy flavor to them. Not my style.
There were a couple of good craft breweries in Missouri.

Yes, San Jose is way too expensive, as is much of the Bay Area. Fun to visit, but then you have to leave before you empty your bank account)

However, I own a 1400 sq ft condo less than one mile from the beach (if you look just right, you can actually see the ocean) and 1/4 mile to the harbor. My mortgage is only 1250/month (plus $300 HOA). In addition my winter electric bill was only $2.50 (really $2.47, but I like to round things off)
A couple? You must've lived here before AB was bought by InBev? The craft beer scene in STL has exploded, and there are numerous GREAT craft breweries in the STL Metro.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
A couple? You must've lived here before AB was bought by InBev? The craft beer scene in STL has exploded, and there are numerous GREAT craft breweries in the STL Metro.
Craft beer is booming across the country... You just have to find the ones that haven't been bought out by the InBevs and MillerCoors of the world.

And if you are ever in San Diego: My brother-in-Law's half brother (not really sure where that puts me in the family hierarchy) Second Chance Beer Co. - San Diego | California its getting very good reviews.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:21 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,875,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
That's a really good comparison, thank you. A few points, I am a huge hockey fan, so STL wins there. However, I think Cincy wins in location/proximity to other areas and also the airport...I mainly fly Delta, Cincy is a Delta hub, and they even have a direct route to Europe...I go a few times a year. My family grew up in Chicago, but I cannot stand Chicago. Minneapolis is one place I like even more than Cincinnati, but I know comparing MSP to STL or Cincy wouldn't be fair. Otherwise it seems that STL and Cincy are mostly an even match.
No problem. I think the day to day life in St. Louis is a bit better, but I can see the appeal of being closer to other cities for getaways. Regarding the flights: my understanding is that Cincinnati has a single direct flight to Paris. At least that was the case a couple years ago. As you're probably aware, flights like this are getting axed from about all interior cities in the US save a few like Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Chicago, Minneapolis, and Detroit. I don't know that I'd count on Cincinnati keeping theirs. As for air travel in general, STL generally has more flights (not Delta though).

I just dropped the airport data from STL and CVG into excel from here: Non-stop flights from Cincinnati OH CVG, direct flights from Cincinnati OH

Cincy came up more Boston, Charlotte, Philadelphia, and JFK (but not New York overall). STL came up with more about everywhere else among the big ones: cities in FL, DC, NYC, ATL, DAL, HOU, the Bay Area, LA, Seattle, Minneapolis, etc. Granted, I don't know if having 3 vs. 6 flights per day going to Orlando really matters, but something to consider.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:58 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,387 posts, read 9,439,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
No problem. I think the day to day life in St. Louis is a bit better, but I can see the appeal of being closer to other cities for getaways. Regarding the flights: my understanding is that Cincinnati has a single direct flight to Paris. At least that was the case a couple years ago. As you're probably aware, flights like this are getting axed from about all interior cities in the US save a few like Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Chicago, Minneapolis, and Detroit. I don't know that I'd count on Cincinnati keeping theirs. As for air travel in general, STL generally has more flights (not Delta though).

I just dropped the airport data from STL and CVG into excel from here: Non-stop flights from Cincinnati OH CVG, direct flights from Cincinnati OH

Cincy came up more Boston, Charlotte, Philadelphia, and JFK (but not New York overall). STL came up with more about everywhere else among the big ones: cities in FL, DC, NYC, ATL, DAL, HOU, the Bay Area, LA, Seattle, Minneapolis, etc. Granted, I don't know if having 3 vs. 6 flights per day going to Orlando really matters, but something to consider.
Yes, Cincy only has the Paris route. I think maybe 10 years ago they had more, but as you mentioned international flights have disappeared from any Midwest city not named Chicago or Minneapolis. I think Cincy holds onto the Paris route. Delta starts a Raleigh-Paris route here next month.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:46 PM

6,847 posts, read 4,838,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Orange County is probably one of the most diverse places I have ever lived outside of Washington DC and NYC. Hispanic majority with almost every nationality, race and creed thrown in for schitzengiggles. i would say only 1/3 of my friends could identify as caucasian.

I really missed the diversity when I lived in Missouri.

And so what - I lived in Lake Saint Louis, which is a very nice community.

Sure it didn't have all the amenities of living in a city, but there was still plenty to do without getting bored. I was probably in the city proper at least twice a week and in the county (clayton, town and country) another two two times a week, so i know enough about Saint Louis to know what i liked and didn't like.
You lived in an exurb of St. Louis built on a man made lake many decades ago to draw people from St. Louis and St. Louis county. A very large subdivision with a lake thrown in. It's on the outer fringes of the metro area. That's great, but hardly a representative experience of living in "St. Louis."

Old 04-21-2016, 10:01 PM

6,847 posts, read 4,838,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
He wouldn't have known. He lived in a far flung exurb: Lake St. Louis. Yet he spoke with assumed knowledge of an entire state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis