Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 12:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,672 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have a property in Castle Park. We would like rehab our property and would that other owners in the area would be interested in rehabbing the entire area. We would like to get a block grant of some type from the city/ county to revitalize the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 07:57 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,863,065 times
T. Tankey: Hey There,

Even though I'm pro-North County and realize it needs help, I don't think Castle Point is in the best circumstances for any sort of block revitalization as it's highly unlikely that there will ever be significant return on the investment due to the problems and reputation of the area.

I think your chances of getting people involved in a block / area rehab would be better in North County locales such as:

Bel Nor, Bel Ridge, Bellerive, Pasadena Park, Greendale, or even areas of Riverview overlooking or close to overlooking the Mississippi. (Pasadena Hills, while near the above first few listed, is already 'rehabbed' for the most part).

The main problem that I see with Castle Point, is although it has a lot of neat Mid Century homes (I love MCM) there isn't enough history or positives to make it viable for a community wide rehab. The 'Bels' on the other hand, have a lot of history, some beautiful, classic housing stock, and the positives are the proximity to Golf Courses, UMSL and Metrolink. Plus, with the funding and co-operation from UMSL, that stretch of Natural Bridge Road is poised to be the next 'Delmar Loop' if plans go ahead as proposed.

Castle Point, as far as I know, is, and always has been a small suburban municipality with very little going for it other than easy interstate access. It doesn't have the amenities, location or reputation to warrant putting much money into at this stage.

Good luck with your property, I'm sorry that I have such a negative opinion of Castle Point. I'll be interested to see how others respond.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:59 AM

1 posts, read 755 times
Default I wouldn't do it

Castle Point is a very high crime area. I think any money spent there would be a losing proposition.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:06 AM

3 posts, read 2,089 times
Default Rehab in Castle Point

I would not recommend rehabbing in Caslte Point. I lived there and watched the neighborhood deteriorate. Your supply's will be stolen 5 minutes after you leave the property. It is very violent and crime ridden. The police will even tell you to not go in there.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:10 AM

He are some statistics:

Castle Point median real estate price is $93,818, which is less expensive than 73.5% of Missouri neighborhoods and 84.6% of all U.S. neighborhoods.

The average rental price in Castle Point is currently $850, based on NeighborhoodScout's exclusive analysis. Rents here are currently lower in price than 44.0% of Missouri neighborhoods.

Castle Point is an urban neighborhood (based on population density) located in St. Louis, Missouri.

Castle Point real estate is primarily made up of medium sized (three or four bedroom) to large (four, five or more bedroom) single-family homes and small apartment buildings. Most of the residential real estate is owner occupied. Many of the residences in the Castle Point neighborhood are older, well-established, built between 1940 and 1969. A number of residences were also built between 1970 and 1999.

Castle Point has a 12.3% vacancy rate, which is well above average compared to other U.S. neighborhoods (higher than 64.6% of American neighborhoods). Most vacant housing here is vacant year round. This could either signal that there is weak demand for real estate in the neighborhood or that large amount of new housing has been built and not yet occupied. Either way, if you live here, you may find many of the homes or apartments are empty.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:12 AM

Castle Point median real estate price is $93,818, which is less expensive than 73.5% of Missouri neighborhoods and 84.6% of all U.S. neighborhoods.

The average rental price in Castle Point is currently $850, based on NeighborhoodScout's exclusive analysis. Rents here are currently lower in price than 44.0% of Missouri neighborhoods.

Castle Point is an urban neighborhood (based on population density) located in St. Louis, Missouri.

Castle Point real estate is primarily made up of medium sized (three or four bedroom) to large (four, five or more bedroom) single-family homes and small apartment buildings. Most of the residential real estate is owner occupied. Many of the residences in the Castle Point neighborhood are older, well-established, built between 1940 and 1969. A number of residences were also built between 1970 and 1999.

Castle Point has a 12.3% vacancy rate, which is well above average compared to other U.S. neighborhoods (higher than 64.6% of American neighborhoods). Most vacant housing here is vacant year round. This could either signal that there is weak demand for real estate in the neighborhood or that large amount of new housing has been built and not yet occupied. Either way, if you live here, you may find many of the homes or apartments are empty.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:18 PM

54 posts, read 69,403 times
Irma, where are you seeing those numbers on Neighborhoodscout.com? The numbers they are claiming are way off, and the boundary map they display is incorrect. Here is the actual boundary map of St. Louis county from MODOT, with Castle Point delineated:
http://www.modot.org/newsandinfo/doc...s/st_louis.pdf

For example, they cite a median home value of over 93,000$. This means roughly half of the homes would be valued at or above this number, and half below. Sperlings suggests the median is ~48,000$, which appears MUCH closer to the data we have (Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok)

Peaking at Trulia right now, there is a single property asking even 50,000$ in Castle Point, with some as low as 18,500$. The majority fall between 20,000$ and 30,000$.

Zillow is a LOT worse, with 3 bedroom houses for sale for just 5,900$ (less than a moderate used car). They show 7 homes asking 10,000$ or less, and not a single listing at 70,000$ or more (out of 33 total).

Realtor.com shows about the same info as Zillow; 6 homes for 10,000$ or less, and nothing reaching even 70,000$.

Last edited by Yac; 01-18-2017 at 06:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis