U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 10:00 AM

3,528 posts, read 2,164,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo1 View Post
He will be working near the airport. How long is the commute to those areas?
It would probably be 20-30 minutes depending on traffic and exact location. I think Webster Groves might be a little shorter, due to I-170.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 07:34 PM

444 posts, read 294,969 times
Quote:
Planning on looking at CWE, Clayton, U City, Creve Couer, and Maryland Heights.
That's a good start. Another poster mentioned Kirkwood and Webster, which are also nice. I would add Maplewood, Richmond Heights, and Dogtown to the list. Since it's so close to the airport, St. Charles, especially old town, might be worth a visit also.

There are a lot of great neighborhoods here, many that we haven't mentioned. None are as urban as NYC, but this isn't a small metro either. If you are looking for more suburban locations, let us know. This site skews towards urban neighborhoods, but I know that many prefer the open spaces and greenery outside of I-270.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:57 AM

3,409 posts, read 1,245,860 times
Quote:
My son is moving to St. Louis, starting to look for housing. We have never been around STL. I thought it might be helpful to compare to what we do know. How do the various neighborhoods compare to New York neighborhoods? For example (hypothetically), Soulard is like Greenwich Village, CWE is like Queens, Clayton is like Westchester, Creve Couer is like Nassau, etc.
Lived in NYC for 10 years, moved to STL in 2000 and lived 10 years in West County, moved back to NYC in 2010, and lived 5 years (Queens and Smithtown in Suffolk County LI), moved back to STL in 2015 and currently live in Town and Country. My employer is still in NYC and I usually visit the office once every three odd months.

I love both places for what they offer; however, I am telling you, it's a crime put NYC and St.Louis in the same sentence.

Dude, there is no place like NYC on planet earth.

Chicago, Los Angeles, London, Paris, Zurich, Sydney, Hong Kong, Dubai and many others that I visited, don't even come close.

With other pros, St. Louis is pretty good if you want to raise a family, and if you have a very good job to enjoy a luxury home at an affordable price. With $2 odd million, you can buy in West County, what you can only dream off buying on Long Island.

Downtown STL is literally a ghost town if you are comparing it with Manhattan, so your comparisons are way off, IMO. But the good news is, you don't deal with 24/7 crawling traffic here.

There is no place like Queens, or Greenwich village or Chelsea or Westchester here. Not even remotely similar.

Moving towards West County (Chesterfield, Town and Country, Creve Coeur area) will give you a very slight hint of Long Island without beech and a lot less traffic than on 495. Shopping malls are nice and clean with plenty of parking.
Drivers are courteous, customer service at retail stores and public offices is MUCH, MUCH pleasant.

Depending on what your son plans to do here and if he has a family n kids, he may want to choose wisely as there are plenty of areas here which may remind you of Vinegar Hill, Williamsburg, Bushwick, Riverdale, Fordham South Bronx etc.

The air is much dryer here, so ask him to get plenty of hand moisturizing cream and use glycerine soaps in shower.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:10 AM

3,528 posts, read 2,164,669 times
That's interesting, I never would've thought of the air here as dry.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:43 AM

14 posts, read 7,885 times
Thanks, GoCardinals, that's helpful stuff. Son just graduated college, single, so no family concerns. Sounds like West County might be similar to what he's used to. Not sure if he wants similar or different. Guess we'll find out on the recon tour.

$2 odd million? That still a very nice house in Nassau or Suffolk. Of course the taxes would be $30k. Quick check on zillow, I see houses in West County, similar size to mine in Nassau (though more land), selling for half the price and a quarter the taxes. But that's all down the road for him. At this point, he'll be renting an apartment to get settled in the area. Once he knows he's staying long term, he would buy something. By then he might have family needs, who knows.

I thought STL had a reputation for humid summers? Son has lived in deep south last 4 years, interned last summer in Baltimore. Dry air would be welcome.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:13 AM

5,057 posts, read 2,890,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
That's interesting, I never would've thought of the air here as dry.
Not in my wildest dreams.

I left years ago but visited often for several years....there are some non-urban places across the river that have better access now. Some if you like "moooo" in the morning. What about St. Charles County (like off Hwy 94) with the Page/364 bridge access? (I have a friend living in Weldon Spring...that's too far south for airport access every day.) And what ever happened to New Town north of St. Charles close to hwy 370? (I lost track of that) I used to work at the airport and lived in Bridgeton but I have no idea what that's like now.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:24 AM

14 posts, read 7,885 times
Tell me about the St. Charles area

Old 05-13-2016, 11:48 AM

414 posts, read 742,819 times
Quote:
Tell me about the St. Charles area
80s/90s era suburban expansion.

Track housing, strip malls, parks, super-churches and middling to decent schools.

It is a great place for some people...generally they are folks who want to affordably raise a family.

Personally, I hate being there. I get dragged out of the city to visit my mother-in-law but I try to avoid any bars as I've had one too many racist encounters with the locals.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:47 PM

418 posts, read 267,569 times
Quote:
Thanks, GoCardinals, that's helpful stuff. Son just graduated college, single, so no family concerns. Sounds like West County might be similar to what he's used to. Not sure if he wants similar or different. Guess we'll find out on the recon tour.

$2 odd million? That still a very nice house in Nassau or Suffolk. Of course the taxes would be $30k. Quick check on zillow, I see houses in West County, similar size to mine in Nassau (though more land), selling for half the price and a quarter the taxes. But that's all down the road for him. At this point, he'll be renting an apartment to get settled in the area. Once he knows he's staying long term, he would buy something. By then he might have family needs, who knows.

I thought STL had a reputation for humid summers? Son has lived in deep south last 4 years, interned last summer in Baltimore. Dry air would be welcome.
The only time the air is dry in STL is Dec-Feb. We have some stifling summers. I have family from the Atlanta area, plus friends from Alabama and the Coastal Carolinas. Even they think it's humid here during the summers.

Go to a late July/early August game at Busch Stadium. You might need to change shirts twice.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...ays-cities.php

Old 05-13-2016, 01:17 PM

707 posts, read 348,653 times
NYC is in such a league of it's own.

STL has it's own charms, but they won't be comparable to any spots in NYC.

If he's more used to the suburban life, but wanting to be younger, more active...I'd personally go with Clayton, Maplewood, maybe Kirkwood, but I still think of Kirkwood as being a little more on the family side. CWE or Tower Grove E for city hoods. I also like Lafayette and Soulard. And Brentwood and Richmond Heights are not bad either.

Anything along 40 is going to have more transplants than other areas, city or suburbs.

I personally think of St. Charles/Chesterfield as families and very typical suburbia. Good public schools, but not a ton of character. Which is fine when you are 35-40 with 3 kids and your life revolves around school and sports, but not a place I'd steer a new college grad to. He's going to want to meet new people, so sticking with the younger/hipper areas is going to be in his best interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or