Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 03:26 PM

129 posts, read 129,127 times

Advertisements

My son is moving to St. Louis, starting to look for housing. We have never been around STL. I thought it might be helpful to compare to what we do know. How do the various neighborhoods compare to New York neighborhoods? For example (hypothetically), Soulard is like Greenwich Village, CWE is like Queens, Clayton is like Westchester, Creve Couer is like Nassau, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 03:48 PM

414 posts, read 884,421 times
Having lived in Chicago, Kansas City, and St Louis...and having visited many cities, such as New York. Comparing neighborhoods is always going to leave you with a half-baked picture of what a city and its neighborhoods are. Especially when comparing to New York, there is almost no comparison.

You might be better off naming some qualities about New York neighborhoods that you appreciate...then we can try isolating a STL neighborhood that best embodies those qualities.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:43 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,600,418 times
I agree with the rich man.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:19 AM

436 posts, read 521,111 times
Hard to compare in my opinion. St. Louis doesn't have any of the global qualities NYC has, not to mention the day to day pace of life. Acquaintances from NYC/Long Island area I made in St. Louis hated it here.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:48 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,687,644 times
I haven't spent a whole ton of time in NYC, but have several friends who settled in Chicago for a few years from NY, and didn't think Chicago was even comparable...so based on that, you won't really be able to compare NYC to STL, IMO. If your son is moving here, it's worth at trip. I'd say that Central West End is about as urban as it gets here, if that's what he's looking for.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:14 AM

^ Not sure exactly what he's looking for. He's an easy going guy, not a partier. Never lived urban. Grew up in house in fairly affluent suburbs, lived in large dorm, lived in off campus apartment complex filled with students, then lived in different complex mainly with grad students and young adults. Lived in similar suburban Baltimore complex during internship. Liked them all. Will be making a recon trip shortly. Planning on looking at CWE, Clayton, U City, Creve Couer, and Maryland Heights. Seems like a pretty wide variety, hopefully some preference will emerge.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:54 AM

436 posts, read 521,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo1 View Post
Planning on looking at CWE, Clayton, U City, Creve Couer, and Maryland Heights.
Creve Couer and Maryland Heights are vastly different from CWE, Clayton and U City. Not sure who lead you to believe they are similar. But if you're travelling to the area you will see for yourself.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:05 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,600,418 times
I would also look at Kirkwood and Webster Groves, which seem to be among the most popular (and walkable) suburbs in the area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjmars View Post
Creve Couer and Maryland Heights are vastly different from CWE, Clayton and U City. Not sure who lead you to believe they are similar.
Actually I think the OP's words were "seem like a pretty wide variety".

Old 05-12-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjmars View Post
Creve Couer and Maryland Heights are vastly different from CWE, Clayton and U City. Not sure who lead you to believe they are similar. But if you're travelling to the area you will see for yourself.
I know they're vastly different, that's the point. Want to see if he prefers urban or suburban.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
I would also look at Kirkwood and Webster Groves, which seem to be among the most popular (and walkable) suburbs in the area.
He will be working near the airport. How long is the commute to those areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis