Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 07:48 PM

90 posts, read 160,428 times

Advertisements

Hi all! Just received a job offer in St. Louis that I am seriously considering. Am making a trip up in a few weeks, and want to seriously look at houses, etc... while I am there, but I don't know where to begin.

Was hoping that any of you familiar with Houston could help. We live in West U and have a 10-15 minute commute to work. Two kids, both in private school and probably would like to continue them in the same in STL. Potential job is in CWE. Budget for a house is $1M to $1.5M. What we like about where we live now - close to many of Houston's cultural sites, restaurants, schools and work. What we don't like about it - small lots!

Would very much appreciate any pointers as to where to start looking.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 08:07 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,731,093 times
Webster Groves, Glendale, Clayton, Ladue

Old 05-31-2016, 08:27 PM

436 posts, read 516,495 times
How sweet would it be if you bought in CWE and just walked to work?

Old 05-31-2016, 08:57 PM

7,100 posts, read 8,868,469 times
I think the CWE, Clayton or University City area will be great options for you. There are many private school options for your children and many options for you to fit right in to the St Louis area socially (if that is possible with a family). Tons of shopping, eating and culture near the areas I mentioned at the same time it shouldn't be too hard to find a larger lot but will most likely be an older home.

Good luck with your move.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:47 PM

685 posts, read 754,706 times
Assuming the kids will continue to attend private school, you've removed the most common obstacle to city living. I'd recommend the CWE, DeMun, Clayton, or University City (south of Olive). Richmond Heights may have something as well.

In general, the areas near Forest Park. Another general definition would be the area bounded by Highway 40 (I-64), I-170, Delmar, and Vandeventer.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:51 PM

7,442 posts, read 6,959,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeroo View Post
Hi all! Just received a job offer in St. Louis that I am seriously considering. Am making a trip up in a few weeks, and want to seriously look at houses, etc... while I am there, but I don't know where to begin.

Was hoping that any of you familiar with Houston could help. We live in West U and have a 10-15 minute commute to work. Two kids, both in private school and probably would like to continue them in the same in STL. Potential job is in CWE. Budget for a house is $1M to $1.5M. What we like about where we live now - close to many of Houston's cultural sites, restaurants, schools and work. What we don't like about it - small lots!

Would very much appreciate any pointers as to where to start looking.

Thanks in advance!
In that price range and with a desire for a larger lot, I'd look at Ladue, Clayton (probably not real big lots), Frontenac and Town and Country.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:06 AM

59 posts, read 139,027 times
Another vote for Clayton.

19 Southmoor Drive, Clayton, MO For Sale | Trulia.com

Old 06-01-2016, 06:27 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,778,057 times
The Central West End itself is. Very highly desired city neighborhood close to many cultural attractions and lots of walkability. Washington University just West of CWE and Forest Park, would be more of your Rice University feel. The surrounding neighborhoods there would be Wydown/Skinker, Clayton, University City. You would not need to go farther out than that unless you wanted or needed either a larger lot that you couldn't find, or newer construction. Ladue would really be the limit West imo. A few of the suggestions outside of these way farther out are big head scratchers for me based on what you posted.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:49 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,666,663 times
I'd say Ladue if the lot size is important, otherwise maybe one of the private streets of the CWE. Clayton would be a compromise between the 2--great public schools you wouldn't be using like Ladue, still very close and upscale, but lot sizes are probably similar to or even smaller than CWE. Density somewhat on par with CWE.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:17 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,467,789 times
I could be wrong, but I believe you will find St Louis is more expensive than Houston. I was surprised moving here from the Northest at how expensive it was throughout St Louis County. If you find that you can't get the house/lot you want in your price range in CWE/Clayton (which I agree would make the most sense), you will find that you generally get more for your money as you move further west, and they are all good areas the whole way through western St Louis County. So areas like Ladue (which is still super expensive) or even T&C and Creve Coeur (which are still pretty expensive) could potentially be options depending on what you are looking for. There are plenty of $1M+ homes as far west as Chesterfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis