Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 08:11 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times

Advertisements

That's absolutely fair, and I should have looked into that better. (Thanks for correcting on my quote regarding Jennings) To be honest, I've spent time in Alton, but only I guess in its "good" neighborhoods.

I think Alton's crime is a little more centralized and as you said there are some very nice ares. If you are in the nice areas, I don't see crime being an issue, but that's a high number, something to consider for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 11:42 AM

177 posts, read 312,530 times
For the most part, Alton is a ghetto. If you can afford to live up on the bluff, then happy trails.

I worked in Alton for several years and it's on life support right now and sliding in to the inevitable.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:48 AM

2 posts, read 5,516 times
Grew up in Alton, nice place, but not as nice as before. A city with some lwoer income levels, and it's share of crime. The best areas to buy might be Christian Hill, North Alton or the Milton area (east side of Milton). House prices in Milton may be best, but because usually smaller homes.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:15 PM

44 posts, read 187,618 times
Default thanks

Thanks for all of the posts. We're heading up there this weekend to look at houses and check out the town. We prefer Christian Hill, from what we've seen thus far.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:45 PM

20 posts, read 78,899 times
I know this is a really old post (you may have even relocated by now), but I just had to say something.

My fiance and I moved to Alton 3 years ago so I could go to school at SIUE. BAD MOVE! The person you talked to who said the economy is slow here is VERY RIGHT. It's hard to find a job around here, and when you find one 9 times out of 10 it will be in St. Louis, which is almost an hour drive. It's not a good place to raise a family, it's dirty and the crime rate is high and it's just kind of....trashy. It really doesn't have much to offer. Don't get me wrong, the city has a lot of interesting history to it and would be great for a visit, just not to live here!! Thankfully we're outta here in 3 months and looking forward to that.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:11 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,926,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudoshin1115 View Post
For the most part, Alton is a ghetto. If you can afford to live up on the bluff, then happy trails.

I worked in Alton for several years and it's on life support right now and sliding in to the inevitable.
Alton is a ghetto?

I never would have thought of comparing alton to places like East St. Louis or some places on the North side of St. Louis. Those are ghettos. Alton...not so much.

At the same time, it certainly isnt paradise. I do appreciate the history of the town and it does have many great looking homes and buildings. I had a few friends graduate from Alton High School and they all went to top caliber schools (Xavier, Wash U, Northwestern).

Old 06-26-2011, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,409 times
I am selling my home in Alton, IL. I haven't been trying to sell very long and I would like to sell it as soon as I can. I have two kids and one on the way. I would like to relocate to a different place just outside of city limit. If anyone has any questions about my home I would answer back as soon as possible. You can e-mail me at [email]bjh__07@hotmail.com[/email]

Old 06-26-2011, 07:26 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montereymadi2 View Post
Hi. We're new to the area and considering buying a house in Alton, IL. The houses are old and beautiful and are in a good price range for us. Locals have told us not to buy because we'll have a hard time re-selling it in a few years, when we will have to move again. Does anyone have any opinions about the area? How are the schools? We're in our mid thirties. We have a two year old son so we'd like somewhere family friendly, but we also like to have date night and go out to bars and restaurants in town a few hours each weekend so we'd like a town with some things to do. My husband works at Scott Airforce base and would have a bit of a commute but not much more than he currently has from South Saint Louis. We've looked all around O'Fallon, Shiloh, Edwardsville etc. (IL) and in Southampton area of Saint Louis. We just don't feel like we're finding the houses we want in our price range. We also don't really care for the suburbs of the base...just nothing to do there unless you love chain restaurants; plus the area seems so saturated with homes. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice!! Madisson
Alton is a neat old rivertown with some of the coolest old houses I've ever seen. My wife and I looked at one about 15 years ago and seriously flirted with the idea of moving there. I have to tell you, though, at least at that time, you drove a block or two and you were in what appeared to be a very seedy area. Perhaps it has gotten better, but I don't think so. I looked into the statistics at the time, and Alton did have a pretty high crime rate at that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis