Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 09:04 AM

554 posts, read 976,943 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am sure most of you guys are tired of theses types of posts but I will go ahead anyhow. I am thinking of taking a job in Creve Coeur. I currently live in the Tampa Bay area of Fla. We are early 50's empty nesters so schools are not important to us. We are looking for an area with a good vibe, walkable downtown area and progressive thinking. However we would need a house rather than an apt or condo (2 cars and a motorcycle). I have lived in a few other areas so I kind of know what I am looking for and not looking for. We lived in Northern Va for a few years (hated it as it was over congested and people were way to uptight, unfriendly and stressed out). Atlanta all the bland suburbs are the same. We love the bay area in Fla as it's a laid back lifestyle, we are 3 blocks from the water and it's a tourist / party mentality here but the job situation isn't that good for an IT project manager. So basically we are looking for an area within a 30 min drive to Creve Coeur, close to a walkable, progressive small urban area, a laid back vibe as opposed to a cookie cutter subdivision filled with yuppies. Any advise would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 10:27 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,598,792 times
Laid back probably applies to pretty much the whole area, but of course that's relative. StL City might actually be worth a look, since their schools have a poor reputation and you'll probably get more for your buck there. Some neighborhoods are not appealing, especially in the north, but some are worth looking at, especially south/southwest.

In terms of suburbs, the cool ones that usually get suggested are Kirkwood, Webster Groves, and Maplewood. But, in general walkable suburbia is in short supply and therefore commands a price premium, so I don't know whether they'll fit your budget.

Old 10-13-2016, 12:56 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,686,641 times
Maplewood or University City or plenty of the central corridor/south city. Don't bother paying the premium $$ for WG or Kirkwood if you don't need the schools.

Old 10-13-2016, 02:55 PM

383 posts, read 391,669 times
I would vote Maplewood, too. I live in Maplewood, and it seems to fit everything on your checklist. I think posters above are right on with their assessment. Though schools are not relevant to you, they are relevant to resale, as I am sure you know. That being said, Maplewood schools are definitely on the upswing as are the home prices. According to a local real estate site (the author is a facts and figures junkie), Maplewood is the hottest selling market right now in the area. There are not many houses for sale at all (I plan on selling soon, so I hope that helps me out). You will find a wide variety of homes, but most are quite old with tons of character but many do not have garages, which sounds like a concern. There are a lot of homes bought and flipped in the area that sell so fast your head will spin (I know of 2 nearby now). Very walkable area. I can easily walk to everything I need (except maybe the doctor or dentist), if necessary-restaurants, bars, bakeries, grocery stores, salons, yoga, art galleries, coffee shopes, and on and on. Great restaurants, night life, etc. Easily accessible to major highways, light rail, and downtown. Great community and street festivals, also. Great mix of ages, too. You won't get cookie-cutter houses here in Maplewood, and I seriously doubt you will see any yuppies here. Maplewood is a hip area that is quite progressive and artsy. Like I said, lots of nightlife and festivals, but we have had no issues (and we live right behind the revered Schlafly's brewery) that you might think come with that. As you probably know, SL does not have the traffic issues of Atlanta, thank heavens! I was just in Atlanta last the spring and could NOT believe what a nightmare that place has become (spent a lot of time there growing up). I could NOT live there! However, I will be moving to a nearby city in the SE that also is traffic ridden. UGH! Anyway, good luck, and I hope this info helps.

Old 10-13-2016, 05:28 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,801,042 times
sportsterjohn,

You have some choices/options depending on your budget and what and where you like, that fit your criteria. In no particular order, University City, Clayton, Webster Groves, Kirkwood, Maplewood. Some of those are more progressive than others but all would be a fit/worth considering. Let us know if you are open to city living as well.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:19 PM

554 posts, read 976,943 times
Hi,
So far it looks like I received a few good suggestions. As far as budget etc, I would rent (pref a house) as I would be a contractor at the new job so I don't know how long it would last. My budget would be 2k max rent although I would prefer 1500-1800. I do tend to like the walkable progressive areas. I live in a city of about 250k now and I am right in the middle of the entertainment / arts district,although I am not an 'artsy' type myself my wife is. I am actually a blue collar guy stuck in a white collar career. I am happier in dive bars blasting hard rock but I still love coffee shops and good places to eat. I would be open to city living as long as it is a house and in a decent neighborhood.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:03 PM

164 posts, read 377,445 times
I'm getting tired of the blanket statement that STL city has poor schools. They simply cannot be painted with that broad a brush. Some are not so great, but a number are acceptable and several more are excellent.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:09 AM

383 posts, read 391,669 times
Sounds like Maplewood would fit.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:41 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,598,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianist1972 View Post
I'm getting tired of the blanket statement that STL city has poor schools. They simply cannot be painted with that broad a brush. Some are not so great, but a number are acceptable and several more are excellent.
I was careful to say that they have a poor reputation, which is all that matters in this case because that's what drives prices.

Is Maplewood as walkable as Webster Groves' downtown or the City? I like Maplewood but the main drag seems a little more of a hybrid downtown/strip mall.

I would think something in the city like 5618 Finkman St might work (glancing at Zillow).

Old 10-14-2016, 08:20 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,686,641 times
I live very close to Maplewood. I think its better than WG personally, and rivals many popular areas of the city. Its got pretty much everything there on Manchester. The giant Shop n Save parking lot detracts from things a little bit, I agree...but the grocery stores in many parts of the city have the same thing going on.

This place in Maplewood has a great walkscore: Maplewood Move-In Special: 1/2 off 1st month's Rent

Though given your budget, I'm guessing you're hoping for something a little more modern inside. It'll be harder to find a rental house since anything nice is probably being sold given the hot market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis