U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 08:16 PM

55 posts, read 30,238 times

Advertisements

I don't know if that is exactly true.

O'Fallon has a larger population than Creve Coeur and Chesterfield combined, 20 years ago there were ~30.5 thousand people in O'Fallon, or about a third of what it is today (~85 thousand).

The edge of O' Fallon by Weldon Spring is just about 6 miles from the valley, straight West on 40. Using Google Maps, St. Louis Premium Outlets (Chesterfield) is listed as 5.5 miles from Kitaro of Japan (O'Fallon); estimated as an 8 minute drive. At the shortest point, they are maybe 5 minutes apart.

For price comparisons, we will skip the condominiums and trailer parks in both cities, just looking at single-family homes that very recently sold.

Chesterfield starts about $140k (where more than one sale shows up)
175 Bellechasse Dr, Chesterfield, MO 63017 | Zillow

13396 Walfield Ln, Saint Louis, MO 63141 | Zillow

1717 Heffington Dr, Chesterfield, MO 63017 | Zillow

The area of O'Fallon that is close starts about $135k

475 Boardwalk Springs Pl, O Fallon, MO 63368 | Zillow

548 Copper Meadows Ln, O Fallon, MO 63368 | Zillow

417 Covered Bridge Ln, O Fallon, MO 63368 | Zillow

They are a lot closer in pricing than people expect if you are looking near 364 or 40.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 10:17 PM

3,478 posts, read 2,062,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someboyelse View Post
I don't know if that is exactly true.

O'Fallon has a larger population than Creve Coeur and Chesterfield combined, 20 years ago there were ~30.5 thousand people in O'Fallon, or about a third of what it is today (~85 thousand).
And 25 years ago the population was 18 thousand (closer to 1/5th of today).
Quote:
The edge of O' Fallon by Weldon Spring is just about 6 miles from the valley, straight West on 40. Using Google Maps, St. Louis Premium Outlets (Chesterfield) is listed as 5.5 miles from Kitaro of Japan (O'Fallon); estimated as an 8 minute drive. At the shortest point, they are maybe 5 minutes apart.

For price comparisons, we will skip the condominiums and trailer parks in both cities, just looking at single-family homes that very recently sold.

Chesterfield starts about $140k (where more than one sale shows up)
175 Bellechasse Dr, Chesterfield, MO 63017 | Zillow

13396 Walfield Ln, Saint Louis, MO 63141 | Zillow

1717 Heffington Dr, Chesterfield, MO 63017 | Zillow

The area of O'Fallon that is close starts about $135k

475 Boardwalk Springs Pl, O Fallon, MO 63368 | Zillow

548 Copper Meadows Ln, O Fallon, MO 63368 | Zillow

417 Covered Bridge Ln, O Fallon, MO 63368 | Zillow

They are a lot closer in pricing than people expect if you are looking near 364 or 40.
I'd say Chesterfield itself is largely popular for the same reason O'Fallon is, but less so. It's basically the O'Fallon of last generation. You can look at I-64 as a sort of spectrum of increasing size and decreasing expense going westward.

Having said that, you're comparing homes in Chesterfield that are 30-40 years older than the ones in O'Fallon, so it's not exactly apples-to-apples.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:08 AM

55 posts, read 30,238 times
Your getting back far enough that you are near the beginning of Chesterfield's existence, the city is only 28 years old! The area population has been pretty steady though ... always ~45k. Wildwood has tripled since then.

It's true that the O' Fallon homes are newer, by and large, in the area I'm writing of (the recently converted farms). I think they are building there because of the proximity to West County, and the demand for housing out here.

Most of the housing in Chesterfield is getting older (I live here, by the way), the new stuff is mostly all over in Wildwood. The only things they seem to build here now are retirement homes and restaurants! Well, and the occasional office building. I think a lot of the population growth and the age of the homes are tied together, there isn't anywhere to build new subdivisions in places like Creve Coeur and Chesterfield ... so people move to the areas available (Wildwood & O'Fallon).

Old 12-08-2016, 10:35 AM

336 posts, read 230,765 times
Quote:
Your getting back far enough that you are near the beginning of Chesterfield's existence, the city is only 28 years old! The area population has been pretty steady though ... always ~45k. Wildwood has tripled since then.

It's true that the O' Fallon homes are newer, by and large, in the area I'm writing of (the recently converted farms). I think they are building there because of the proximity to West County, and the demand for housing out here.

Most of the housing in Chesterfield is getting older (I live here, by the way), the new stuff is mostly all over in Wildwood. The only things they seem to build here now are retirement homes and restaurants! Well, and the occasional office building. I think a lot of the population growth and the age of the homes are tied together, there isn't anywhere to build new subdivisions in places like Creve Coeur and Chesterfield ... so people move to the areas available (Wildwood & O'Fallon).
I've seen many of my friends and neighbors move out of West County and out into St. Charles County once 364 was completed. It was a game changer in commute time for a lot of people who work in West County or North County.

Old 12-08-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
I've seen many of my friends and neighbors move out of West County and out into St. Charles County once 364 was completed. It was a game changer in commute time for a lot of people who work in West County or North County.
One of the many ways the region has spent millions of dollars shooting itself in the foot.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:58 PM

4,996 posts, read 5,300,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
One of the many ways the region has spent millions of dollars shooting itself in the foot.
It would have been nice to see better planning without competition between suburbs.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:05 PM

425 posts, read 265,133 times
Quote:
What I meant more specifically is that families are buying in O'Fallon because they can't afford Chesterfield or Creve Couer.
Or because it's financial trade-off. O'Fallon, and most of St. Charles County, provide the same suburban benefits as West County at a fraction of the cost. There aren't any significant differences. Economists would call this a substitute good.

I'm not a huge fan of St. Charles County due to commute times and lifestyle choice, but West County suffers from similar flaws. I certainly see the attraction of St. Charles: great schools, affordable housing, very safe, solidly middle-class, distance from poorer areas, and strong political will. Residents have also voted repeatedly to fully fund their schools, highway system, parks, etc.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:14 PM

425 posts, read 265,133 times
Quote:
I understand your point and I agree, to a large extent. But to be fair, the vast majority of Page Avenue was funded by St. Charles County, the state, and the federal government.

I suppose the state and federal share could have been redirected to more central projects. MoDOT, though, isn't really a department of transportation. It's only a highway department. Unlike various other state DOTs, I've never seen MoDOT build a port or a subway.

Furthermore, Jefferson City redirects a large share of highway revenue away from the StL region. We receive far less funding than the gas tax revenue we generate.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
I understand your point and I agree, to a large extent. But to be fair, the vast majority of Page Avenue was funded by St. Charles County, the state, and the federal government.
That's true, but for this purpose, I consider St. Charles County part of the region.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:53 PM

527 posts, read 268,949 times
To be honest, many of my old friends who are out there are out there because it used to be much cheaper than Chesterfield. That gap has narrowed. Rockwood/Parkway also used to be a significantly better school districts, but the schools in St. Charles county have narrowed that gap as well. Rockwood and Parkway are better but it's not a huge difference.

I don't think there is anything WRONG with St. Charles county, but after living in far west county (Chesterfield/Wildwood area)...I would not choose either place again. I prefer to be closer in, more in the middle of things. I personally prefer the city or inner ring suburbs and I'm not a fan of typical suburbia and long commute times. That is PERSONAL preference though and not a statement that there is something WRONG with the other areas. If I HAD to choose though, I'd still stay in STL county. Chesterfield is a more diverse area (slightly, but about 2x as many Asians in Chesterfield which our family is), a more educated area (significantly...around 38% in O'fallon have bachelors degrees compared to around 66% of Chesterfield....my husband and I have doctoral degrees and highly value higher education for our children)...that fits us better. At the same time, I expect both of those factors to change in St. Charles county.

And personally, I LOVE old St. Charles. That is an awesome area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or