Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 05:43 AM

21 posts, read 27,039 times

Advertisements

I'm about out to visit Alorton for my second time, ill post to et you all know how it goes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 04:38 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
Good luck! Please explore North St. Louis while you are out this way also.

If I was a billionaire, I would be investing in Riverview in North St. Louis (the neighborhood, not the village). So, so, SO much potential.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Good luck! Please explore North St. Louis while you are out this way also.

If I was a billionaire, I would be investing in Riverview in North St. Louis (the neighborhood, not the village). So, so, SO much potential.
Thanks!! and yes I will check out north st louis, and the surrounding east st louis areas( Missouri and Illinois sides of the metro)

Old 01-17-2017, 11:32 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
Alton is worth a look. It doesn't have the problems of ESTL so probably isn't what you're looking for, but it has some architectural gems and I love the topography.

Old 01-21-2017, 11:06 PM

7 posts, read 7,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Alton is worth a look. It doesn't have the problems of ESTL so probably isn't what you're looking for, but it has some architectural gems and I love the topography.
Alton is a pretty cool little town. And you have Grafton and Godfrey in the vicinity for some quaint local enclaves and attractions.

You must experience a meal at Fast Eddie's once - cheap food, slow service, profane and trashy employees, but nevertheless a unique experience.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:58 AM

just got back from Alorton. I'm still in love with the idea, I did have the time to check out the north side, Cahokia, Brooklyn, il and others. also did some exploring around the metro st lois area to get a feel of it and not just the Illinois side of the metro. From my 2nd observation, the house I looked at was still very much in tact, not torn up at all, there were a few houses that were also like that, but many were abandoned. When looking at the house, the neighbors (who still lived on the street and haven't abandoned like most have) thought of me as like the second coming of Christ or something. They looked really in shock when I told them I was from LA area. Since I took interest in this neighborhood, I got a lot of respect because they liked how I wanted to join the battle with them to improve ESL and Alorton, Centreville. I really expected for no one to really care about those towns anymore, but no, there ARE still some people who do believe in the area. Yes there are many problems to tackle, yes it's a long way from improving, but it was such an eye-opening experience. The people who lived in that neighborhood were so nice seemed as if they had each others back. I would love to continue this plan to move there, but I must say that you guys who have posted advice for me were really helpful and I appreciate all of it.

Old 01-23-2017, 05:13 AM

186 posts, read 243,230 times
Sounds like you had a good trip. When do you think you would be moving? It's good you have the support of the neighbors, it will certainly help!

Old 01-23-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiegal View Post
Sounds like you had a good trip. When do you think you would be moving? It's good you have the support of the neighbors, it will certainly help!
I suppose within a month and a half, that being because I still have more work to here in CA before I can move. And yes, the neighbors gave me incredible support, I gotta admit, before I met them. deep down inside I was still a little nervous about the area. I had a gut feeling that I wouldn't be welcomed, or something like that. But instead of that, I got a warm welcome, it totally made me more comfortable. From what I've met of them, these are the types of people I could call new neighbors for a while.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:38 PM

572 posts, read 1,995,718 times
If you're serious, I commend you.
Find a house with some property, install good outdoor lighting, get to know your neighbors and don't leave anything in your car.

Old 02-25-2017, 02:35 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
I'm sorry, but the bolded part isn't true. Homicide rates are calculated by looking at the number of murders within a city's legal boundaries. A city can be apart of a larger county, but the county's population isn't used to figure out the homicide rate for the city proper (ex: Chicago's population of 2.7 million vs Cook County's population of 5.2 million). This is different in unified city and county scenario, like what you see in Indianapolis, but that's typically not the norm.

No cities are officially calculating their rates by looking at their larger metro areas either. At best, if St. Louis and St. Louis County were to merge into just the city of St. Louis, they'd be calculating St. Louis' rate per 100,000 by looking at a population of roughly 1.3 million. If St. Louis were to only reenter the county as an additional municipality with its current boundaries and government intact, however, then they'd continue to calculate St. Louis' rate as they are currently doing. To use Chicago as an example again, Chicago's rate is never calculated by looking at its larger metro area of 9.5 million people. It's always the city's 2.7 million.
It is true, but he phrased it wrong.
Other cities can annex their inner ring and even outer ring suburbs, greatly expanding their population and area. Without the great divorce, St Louis's legal boundaries would like be 5x-10x the size of what they are now (not just including all of St Louis County, but likely extensive parts of St Charles, Jefferson, and Franklin counties), encompassing many much less dense and safer areas.

So, yes, other cities are using their larger metro areas because they have annexed their larger metro areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis