Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 09:55 PM

4 posts, read 6,872 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm a young professional(26) moving to STL from the DC area. My office will be in O'Fallon. I want to live within 15-20 miles of O'Fallon. Does anyone have any ideas of locations/apartment complexes?

My wants:
1. Lots of stores around
2. Walkability (if possible)
3. "Modern"
4. Ethnic Options for restaurants/stores
5. Young people

I know this is a difficult ask as most young people live in downtown STL, but am looking for my best options given my situation.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 10:23 PM

2,690 posts, read 3,152,912 times
Which O'Fallon will you be working in? There's O'Fallon, MO in St. Charles County & O'Fallon, IL in St. Clair County.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:32 PM

1,400 posts, read 854,592 times
Congrats on the move! Escaping the Beltway is one of my major accomplishments in life, LOL. You must be excited, I know I was. Clayton checks most if not all of your boxes, but that is going to be 30-45 minutes depending on where exactly you will be working in O'Fallon. There is a ton of traffic lights on Hwy K, but if you hit them just right you might only get caught at a few. Chesterfield is another option. It is much closer, but it has less of what you are looking for. It kinda depends on your budget too. Both Chesterfield and Clayton are consider pricey for STL, but nothing close to what you would pay for something similar in DC. If it were me, I'd stay right there in O'Fallon and find a place close to work. O'Fallon is very safe and affordable with plenty of the big box stores and restaurants. By the way, young people are not really concentrated in downtown STL. They are spread out throughout the metro area, but obviously they tend to be in higher numbers near the universities.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:16 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,824,183 times
O'Fallon (on the MO side) is a bit far out from what you've described. [i]However [i], if you live in St. Louis City proper, such as in the Central West End (which ticks most of your boxes), or in Clayton as also suggested, the benefit is you'll have a 'reverse commute' up 64.

My husband also works in O'Fallon and commutes from St. Louis County and goes the opposite direction to traffic for most of the way there and back, making it less painful.

Unfortunately, while O'Fallon really does have a lot to offer in terms of housing, school districts, recreation, etc, it is very much an autocentric large suburb. Great for young families but not what you're looking for. The same goes for a lot of the suburban areas in between O'Fallon and St. Louis.

If you're open to extending your commute a bit more though, an array of wonderful options will open up

Good luck and congratulations on the job!

Old 02-15-2017, 12:20 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,824,183 times
P.S. there's a tonne of new apartments going up on Old Olive Street Road, behind where the cinema and Stir Crazy are on Olive Blvd. I can't think of the name of them right now but they look like they should be ready soon.

I don't count that area as particularly walkable but there are decent food options (and Trader Joes) along that stretch of Olive, South of 270. It would be a bit closer at least.

If I can find out the name of the complex and anticipated completion date I'll post it here. It's pretty impressive looking.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:04 AM

42 posts, read 51,153 times
What about the city of St. Charles? It's an easy commute to O'Fallon, has dozens of unique bars, shops & restaurants, is very walkable and has a lot of young people concentrated around Lindenwood University.

The Main Street area is historic so probably not the "modern" you're looking for, but maybe Streets of St. Charles would be a better fit? It's not quite as walkable (unless you jump down to the Katy Trail) but it is filled with new apartments: The Streets of St. Charles :: 1650 Beale Street, STE 147, St. Charles, MO. 63303 ::

I was there at Bar Louie for happy hour recently and it was jammed with young professionals!

Old 02-15-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
Congrats on the move! Escaping the Beltway is one of my major accomplishments in life, LOL. You must be excited, I know I was. Clayton checks most if not all of your boxes, but that is going to be 30-45 minutes depending on where exactly you will be working in O'Fallon. There is a ton of traffic lights on Hwy K, but if you hit them just right you might only get caught at a few. Chesterfield is another option. It is much closer, but it has less of what you are looking for. It kinda depends on your budget too. Both Chesterfield and Clayton are consider pricey for STL, but nothing close to what you would pay for something similar in DC. If it were me, I'd stay right there in O'Fallon and find a place close to work. O'Fallon is very safe and affordable with plenty of the big box stores and restaurants. By the way, young people are not really concentrated in downtown STL. They are spread out throughout the metro area, but obviously they tend to be in higher numbers near the universities.
Thank you very much!

I'm both excited and terrified at the same time. I grew up in the DC area and never thought I would move to Missouri! But very excited for the new experiences!

I would like something similar to the walkability of Arlington/Alexandria if possible.

I'll definitely check out St. Charles a little more as well as Clayton.

Thanks again!

Old 02-15-2017, 07:58 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,373,756 times
If you work near I-64 (or St. Louisans will still call it 40 ), the reverse commute won't be so bad.

For St. Charles county the two areas mentioned are probably your best bet. I'd give a much bigger nod to Old St. Charles over Streets of St. Charles.

For suburbs with at least some degree of walkability...Clayton, Maplewood, University City, Kirkwood (not quite as convenient to I-64 though). Central West End is the most walkable city neighborhood. I live in an inner ring suburb (Ladue, right off of I-64) and get out to O'Fallon in 30 minutes or less when I need to, depending on traffic.

Ethnic restaurants are more spread out in St. Louis. U City has a strip of Chinese restaurants and grocery stores (although our 2 favorites are actually in Overland...my DH is Chinese). Grand Ave. in the city has the most diverse collection of ethnic restaurants. Others are scattered all over. Korean groceries and best Korean BBQ is in Chesterfield. Indian restaurants are spread out...St. Charles has a few as that is a fast growing demographic in St. Charles county and Chesterfield. Manchester has several restaurants that are both Indian and Middle Eastern, as well as a few grocery stores. Kirkwood has the Global Market grocery store that we love. We always make a trip to the International Festival (Festival of Nations) in August to sample restaurants and make a list of places we want to try.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
O'Fallon (on the MO side) is a bit far out from what you've described. [i]However [i], if you live in St. Louis City proper, such as in the Central West End (which ticks most of your boxes), or in Clayton as also suggested, the benefit is you'll have a 'reverse commute' up 64.

My husband also works in O'Fallon and commutes from St. Louis County and goes the opposite direction to traffic for most of the way there and back, making it less painful.

Unfortunately, while O'Fallon really does have a lot to offer in terms of housing, school districts, recreation, etc, it is very much an autocentric large suburb. Great for young families but not what you're looking for. The same goes for a lot of the suburban areas in between O'Fallon and St. Louis.

If you're open to extending your commute a bit more though, an array of wonderful options will open up

Good luck and congratulations on the job!
Thank you very much!

I think I am going to be looking mainly at St. Charles, Clayton and Richmond Heights as those seem to fit what I am looking for. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all!

Old 02-16-2017, 09:13 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,777,188 times
O' Fallon itself is beyond the outer suburbs, exurb-ish if you will. You can rent short term, close to work while exploring elsewhere. or you can try to find more of what you seek right away.

You will find a larger cluster of young professionals in Mid-County, and city. If you sought mid-county to cut down on commute, U. City, Clayton, perhaps a few others.

Some of the other suggestions are very suburbia, families, etc...and were likely based on your commute time more than the rest of the things on your list. O'Fallon will be very different from what you are used to, far out of a city, quiet, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis