Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 06:37 AM

18 posts, read 22,750 times

Advertisements

I moved away for 4 years and came back due to many things -- mainly I discovered the grass is not always greener. St Louis is a great place to live with lots to do and affordabilty. We need a rebranding of St Louis and get some distance with the crime issue in the city areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 08:10 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I'm not the one to sugar coat anything expecially when I see something wrong in the city I live in. St. Louis is just like anyplace else. Its as safe as you are. Stay away from the drug culture and use common sense and you will be fine.

The problem with comparing jurisdictional crime stats is it is not always apples to apples. An example of that would be Chicago doesn't count every single homicide as a homicide if its done by the same person. You can have one person kill 3 people would be considered as one homicide. St. Louis would consider it as 3. Other cities have unincorporated areas within the city limits and when a homicide hits an unincorporated area it doesn't count towards that city's homicide rate. I think an example of that would be Atlanta. (Correct me of I am wrong).

Metro St Louis is on the high side on the moderate crime rate statistics last time I checked. Its a far cry from the homicide capitol but it doesn't look like its safe safe either when the state of Missouri is high now.

Looking at our friends in Memphis, you have a city that is always in the top 10 cities for crime along with their msa. The state of Tennessee is always on the most dangerous states list.

Chicago has a lower crime rate then St Louis but I dont feel any less safe here. I did feel as if I had to be more on the lookout in Chicago then in St Louis. I think that has a lot to do with the aggressive nature of that type of city.

Should St Louis be labeled as safe? No! There is definitely a lot of room for improvement. Is it a scarry place where people should fear? I don't think so.
Chicago is more dangerous! At least in Missouri they have the most carry friendly laws in the country. I always carried in the city. Permit less carry seems to be working as a few defensive shootings in the region this year alone. Bad guys be on notice! More people are arming themselves.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:53 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Chicago is more dangerous! At least in Missouri they have the most carry friendly laws in the country. I always carried in the city. Permit less carry seems to be working as a few defensive shootings in the region this year alone. Bad guys be on notice! More people are arming themselves.
Why are you writing that Chicago is more dangerous then St. Louis. Is there a hidden statistic that Bill O'Reilly or Rush Limbaugh gave you? I just wrote about personal experience and how stats don't reveal the whole story.

Facts show that Missouri is more dangerous then illinois. Massachusetts and New York does better in safety then Missouri and Louisiana. State stats provided a better comparison.

I currently live downtown and don't find the need to carry. Why would you as a visitor to my neighborhood find the need unless you have malicious intent?

Are you trying to justify how states who vote for open carry are safer then those who have tightened gun laws? I noticed you keep bringing up the subject in your posts.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:01 PM

BUT in NYC or Boston if you're the unfortunate target of a violent crime, you basically have no way to legally protect yourself unless carrying illegally. At least in St. Louis anyone without a felony or domestic violence conviction can carry and defend themselves and have a chance to live. Not so much in New York.

Old 04-21-2017, 03:22 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,336 times
Quote:
Chicago is more dangerous!
It's not. Even with the increased homicides last year, Chicago only squeaked into the top 10 most dangerous cities in America. Before that, the city was consistently not even in the top 20. St. Louis has been #1 for at least 3 years now, although it might get edged out by New Orleans and Baltimore if current trends holdup throughout this year.

Quote:
BUT in NYC or Boston if you're the unfortunate target of a violent crime, you basically have no way to legally protect yourself unless carrying illegally. At least in St. Louis anyone without a felony or domestic violence conviction can carry and defend themselves and have a chance to live. Not so much in New York.
You're not even legally allowed to own a firearm if you have any of the bold as far as I'm aware. That's a federal thing.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:37 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times
Quote:
What are the chances of that happening?

Me personally I wouldn't hang with you nor wouldI allow you into my circle because you are a liability because of thoughts on personal safety. If you think its good to walk around downtown St Louis with a gun, you are looking for trouble.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:55 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Comparing crime rates across jurisdictions is a fool's errand because of variations in many factors of reporting and defining crimes and how they are counted. Better to compare the same jurisdiction over several years.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
It's not. Even with the increased homicides last year, Chicago only squeaked into the top 10 most dangerous cities in America. Before that, the city was consistently not even in the top 20. St. Louis has been #1 for at least 3 years now, although it might get edged out by New Orleans and Baltimore if current trends holdup throughout this year.

You're not even legally allowed to own a firearm if you have any of the bold as far as I'm aware. That's a federal thing.
True. However if it's a suspended sentence you can. However Missouri won't issue you a ccw permit if you have a suspended sentence even after you completed it. Might be a case to the MO supreme court regarding it I've heard.

When I was in clayton once getting my prints to renew my Florida ccw permit (always keep at least one permit as a backup in case you lose your MO permit) a guy was talking to the Records Room Lt. there about being denied a MO ccw permit due to suspended sentence years back. The Lt. told him to just apply for an out of state permit such as FL since MO honors all permits.

However that doesn't mean much now as Missouri is permit less concealed carry now and 18 years of age and older can carry without a unconstitutional permit.

Some states like Virginia and Missouri also won't issue you a ccw permit if you has a misdemeanor conviction involving a firearm as well. Again doesn't mean much in Missouri anymore.

I wish Florida would get on the ball and pass permit less carry. Our permits are expensive and you have no choice as FL residents are only allowed to use FL permits unlike other states. And the process to apply and renew in FL is a pain too. I still keep two spare permits from other states in case I lost my FL ccw I can still carry in other states.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:35 PM

10,018 posts, read 8,621,189 times
Quote:
True. However if it's a suspended sentence you can. However Missouri won't issue you a ccw permit if you have a suspended sentence even after you completed it. Might be a case to the MO supreme court regarding it I've heard.

When I was in clayton once getting my prints to renew my Florida ccw permit (always keep at least one permit as a backup in case you lose your MO permit) a guy was talking to the Records Room Lt. there about being denied a MO ccw permit due to suspended sentence years back. The Lt. told him to just apply for an out of state permit such as FL since MO honors all permits.

However that doesn't mean much now as Missouri is permit less concealed carry now and 18 years of age and older can carry without a unconstitutional permit.

Some states like Virginia and Missouri also won't issue you a ccw permit if you has a misdemeanor conviction involving a firearm as well. Again doesn't mean much in Missouri anymore.

I wish Florida would get on the ball and pass permit less carry. Our permits are expensive and you have no choice as FL residents are only allowed to use FL permits unlike other states. And the process to apply and renew in FL is a pain too. I still keep two spare permits from other states in case I lost my FL ccw I can still carry in other states.
Do you carry a gun every place you go ?
What do you do when you end up at a place that won't let you enter with a gun, courthouse, library,...etc ?

Old 04-21-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
Do you carry a gun every place you go ?
What do you do when you end up at a place that won't let you enter with a gun, courthouse, library,...etc ?
I don't carry in there then here in Florida. Especially here in Florida where it's an actual crime to carry into prohibited places and will get you arrested if caught. In Missouri I didn't pay attention much as long as it wasn't a federal building because federal law prohibits it. Of course I didn't carry in the police station because that's just not a good idea and courthouse obviously because they search you.

In Missouri carrying into a prohibited place with a ccw permit will only get you a citation such as if you carry into a courthouse by accident or school, college campus or stadium if caught compared to FL it's a felony depending on location.

However with permit less concealed carry in Missouri carrying into a prohibited place such as a college or courthouse WILL get you arrested for unlawful use of a weapon if caught.

That is a key to remember in Missouri with constitutional carry law is be careful not to accidently carry into a gun free zone if you chose not to have a ccw permit. The optional ccw permit in Missouri gives you more protections if caught carrying in a prohibited location versus a person who carries on permit less carry faces a much stiffer penalty versus just getting a citation as a ccw holder.

Here in Florida most of the Sheriffs stations and police stations have big signs with large wording about carrying into them will get you arrested, at least my county does on each of their buildings including the courthouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis