Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 02:07 PM

403 posts, read 666,153 times

Advertisements

I only live here since it's one of the cheapest places to live in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 03:20 PM

383 posts, read 391,669 times
Because of my husband's job. But, I will be moving to another state in 20 days!!!!!! The third time (living here)has NOT been a charm for me.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:26 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,598,792 times
It's a good goldilocks town, not too big or too small, although that's my personal bias. There's more to do here than in most comparable cities, and I prefer to visit NYC or Chicago rather than live there.

Old 04-02-2017, 01:10 AM

403 posts, read 666,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjudy View Post
Because of my husband's job. But, I will be moving to another state in 20 days!!!!!! The third time (living here)has NOT been a charm for me.
This is the second time for me. I guess that another thing that I like about it is that it actually gives off a big city impression, which is something that a lot of bigger cities fail to do. The downtown area has some decent restaurants as well. It's a shame that the high crime has to overshadow the few nice things about it though.

Old 04-02-2017, 11:38 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,394,837 times
Because...I like it.

I agree on the Goldilocks town. I did enjoy living in Chicago, but didn't feel like the Chicago urban life was ideal for raising a family and moving to the suburbs made it just like living in any other city, so we left. We also lived in a city that was too small for a while but that was great for my husband's career.

We live close in, with great proximity to everything. My kids go to top notch schools. We have a beautiful house with a big yard for the kids and the dogs. We have access to amazing healthcare. We enjoy the symphony and watching shows at the Fox, etc. We love the access to museums. We love the botanical garden, the zoo, the restaurants, hockey and baseball. And we have family here. My husband didn't grow up with grandparents and I did. We both agree...growing up with grandparents nearby is ideal. We also get to travel a lot and we're right in the middle, so that's nice.

We could live anywhere. We choose here.

Old 04-02-2017, 11:55 AM

68 posts, read 119,193 times
This is a good question as I haven't now for quite a while but still wonder what keeps those staying especially even with the extreme weather temps and conditions there. To each his own I guess.

Old 04-02-2017, 01:23 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,686,641 times
We're another couple that could live pretty much anywhere in the country, but we choose to live here. It's the mix of economical with great city amenities. Love the architecture too. I'm a city girl, and we can afford a larger SFH here in the city. With plenty of money left over to save a lot for retirement, travel a bunch, and have a lot of flexibility in how much we work (since having kids, I reduced my schedule a lot). I've moved away to try something new, and ended up back here. I also like the civic pride [online things seem negative--but almost everyone I know likes living here and generally are very charitable] and feeling like I can have a really big impact in the community.

We tried Denver for a couple years [again, everyone online hypes it...I did not get they hype]. We thought about moving back to Chicago [where I am from]. Realized very quickly we couldn't afford a house where I wanted to be without making cuts to retirement, fun money, and the flexibility we have now, and my husband isn't a huge Chicago fan. Thought about moving to where my husband is from [Buffalo NY]. Too small and cold.

Other places we considered when we were leaving Denver: Indy, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Baltimore. But St Louis just was so great to us the first time around, it was hard to pass up.

I think the only thing that would drive us to leave now would be a really crazy job offer, or an opportunity to move overseas (love traveling).

Old 04-02-2017, 04:05 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
It's my second time living here. The first time I moved here for work, the second time we chose it.

Buying a home here was very affordable, the cost of living is low, and now that we have young children I like it even better! There's a lot of free/cheap stuff to do with the kids- possibly even more so than in other cities?

St. Louis is a decent size as well. It's big enough to have all of the big city cultural amenities, but as I said before, it's affordability is what makes it win in my eyes.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:10 PM

1,400 posts, read 862,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
We're another couple that could live pretty much anywhere in the country, but we choose to live here. It's the mix of economical with great city amenities. Love the architecture too. I'm a city girl, and we can afford a larger SFH here in the city. With plenty of money left over to save a lot for retirement, travel a bunch, and have a lot of flexibility in how much we work (since having kids, I reduced my schedule a lot). I've moved away to try something new, and ended up back here. I also like the civic pride [online things seem negative--but almost everyone I know likes living here and generally are very charitable] and feeling like I can have a really big impact in the community.

We tried Denver for a couple years [again, everyone online hypes it...I did not get they hype]. We thought about moving back to Chicago [where I am from]. Realized very quickly we couldn't afford a house where I wanted to be without making cuts to retirement, fun money, and the flexibility we have now, and my husband isn't a huge Chicago fan. Thought about moving to where my husband is from [Buffalo NY]. Too small and cold.

Other places we considered when we were leaving Denver: Indy, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Baltimore. But St Louis just was so great to us the first time around, it was hard to pass up.

I think the only thing that would drive us to leave now would be a really crazy job offer, or an opportunity to move overseas (love traveling).
You hit on some key points. STL is a great value. You don't have to work 40+ hours a week to live comfortably. A great work-life balance is attainable in STL. Discretionary income, time to travel, fewer traffic headaches, are a few of the things that make STL attractive, especially to families. If STL could just solve the crime issue it would be even better.

For the life of me I can't figure out what is so great about Denver. Proximity to mountains are a plus, and the airport offers more direct flights, but that is about it.

Indy is intriguing, especially its northern suburbs. We may be moving back to the Midwest soon to be closer to family. Indy and STL are high on our list.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:22 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,598,792 times
I had the chance to move to NJ for work and it was like, NJ suburbs look the same as St. Louis suburbs but cost twice as much. Pass. It's closer to NYC, but I can take day trips to NYC by plane and still come out ahead financially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis