U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-07-2017, 09:52 AM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
3,983 posts, read 5,119,710 times
Reputation: 4492

Advertisements

Well, you can put a huge 'hypocrite' sign above my head now because for all of the bashing I've given St. Charles County over the years, it now seems inevitable that we will be moving there within the next 6 months- 1 year.

My husband works in O'Fallon and desperately wants to be closer to work (ideally within 10 miles so he can ride his bicycle). We also preferably need a bigger house for our family of 5. (Above 1500sqft with a 2 car garage)

While I do spend a bit of time over that side, I obviously know St. Louis County a lot better.

Any opinions on the 'better' areas of St. Charles County (and the worse areas?). Having young children, being in a safe neighborhood is a big priority. I absolutely LOVE our neighbors and community where we are (Florissant) but it is too far for DH's work and we have had some issues with our house outside of our control.

Any input about St. Charles County would be appreciated. I really want to know exactly what we are looking for and where, with realistic expectations so that I don't drive the realtor batty once we officially start house hunting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-07-2017, 09:53 AM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
3,983 posts, read 5,119,710 times
Reputation: 4492
P.S. DH works not far from Progress West Hospital, so around there would be our 10 mile mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2017, 10:11 AM
 
Location: STL area
690 posts, read 338,914 times
Reputation: 1494
From a totally outside perspective (I live in central STL county)...the areas closer to I-64 and south of I-70. Anything close to his work should be nice honestly. We have friends in Winghaven and Whitmoor and they love it. I'm not the biggest fan of St. Charles county, but I am a huge fan of shorter commute times, so it makes perfect sense to make that move
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2017, 11:43 AM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
3,983 posts, read 5,119,710 times
Reputation: 4492
Thanks, STL74! I've heard of Winghaven but not Whitmoor. I'll have to look into both

I agree that South of I-70 seems more desirable.

I prefer St. Louis County, too, but DH is happy at his current workplace and will likely remain there for the foreseable future so it makes a lot of sense for us to be closer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2017, 03:40 PM
 
186 posts, read 122,499 times
Reputation: 145
We are in a similar boat. We are moving from out of state, and want safe, family friendly and nice. We have settled on newtown. Yes it's like the Truman show...but it is a nice community and it is expanding. I really like walking to the main area with the market and restaurants. I have always seen people out and about and what really caught my eye is they allow golf carts! We are renting for a year and then will buy after getting to know the area a bit. I wish you luck...moving is a big event!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2017, 10:29 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
7,017 posts, read 5,024,800 times
Reputation: 4033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiegal View Post
We are in a similar boat. We are moving from out of state, and want safe, family friendly and nice. We have settled on newtown. Yes it's like the Truman show...but it is a nice community and it is expanding. I really like walking to the main area with the market and restaurants. I have always seen people out and about and what really caught my eye is they allow golf carts! We are renting for a year and then will buy after getting to know the area a bit. I wish you luck...moving is a big event!
Was out that way today watching one of my kids play soccer at SLYSA. If you like it, awesome. The street just west of Elm/Newtown right before you enter the SLYSA complex was closed due to flooding. Newtown is kind of isolated but I guess that was the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2017, 10:32 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
7,017 posts, read 5,024,800 times
Reputation: 4033
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Well, you can put a huge 'hypocrite' sign above my head now because for all of the bashing I've given St. Charles County over the years, it now seems inevitable that we will be moving there within the next 6 months- 1 year.

My husband works in O'Fallon and desperately wants to be closer to work (ideally within 10 miles so he can ride his bicycle). We also preferably need a bigger house for our family of 5. (Above 1500sqft with a 2 car garage)

While I do spend a bit of time over that side, I obviously know St. Louis County a lot better.

Any opinions on the 'better' areas of St. Charles County (and the worse areas?). Having young children, being in a safe neighborhood is a big priority. I absolutely LOVE our neighbors and community where we are (Florissant) but it is too far for DH's work and we have had some issues with our house outside of our control.

Any input about St. Charles County would be appreciated. I really want to know exactly what we are looking for and where, with realistic expectations so that I don't drive the realtor batty once we officially start house hunting
I wouldn't call you a hypocrite, but this is somewhat surprising. But families keep voting with their feet. More jobs are out there than used to be, schools are good, property is reasonable. Families will act in their own best interests. It's not a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2017, 06:39 AM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
3,983 posts, read 5,119,710 times
Reputation: 4492
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I wouldn't call you a hypocrite, but this is somewhat surprising. But families keep voting with their feet. More jobs are out there than used to be, schools are good, property is reasonable. Families will act in their own best interests. It's not a bad thing.
If the vote were solely mine, we would be moving but staying within St. Louis County... however, since DH is the one working and who will be paying the mortgage, I do understand his desire to be closer to work.

Back in NC, we were only a couple of miles off base so he rode his bike every day and I was less than 7 minutes drive to my work- it was definitely really nice being so close.

DH has been making the commute for almost 3 years now and he's completely over it. He has no plans to leave his workplace- they're good to him and he's generally happy there.

It will be within the next 12 months- hopefully sooner. We just have to get a few things straightened out with our house first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2017, 04:53 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
443 posts, read 291,247 times
Reputation: 364
I don't agree with the folks who say "stay south if I-70." It seems baseless to me. I looked at a house on Route P last year, near St. Paul. It was a beautiful area, certainly upper middle-class.

And of course, old town St. Charles is north of I-70. It's an entirely different appeal, but nonetheless.

However, cycling to work probably necessitates a short distance and decent roads. Most of St. Charles Co roads are hostile to cyclists, but you might be able to find something near Route K or Route 94.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2017, 10:13 AM
 
1,400 posts, read 499,284 times
Reputation: 789
There are plenty of nice newer and safe cookie cutter subdivisions, but not many established neighborhoods. I think Timberwood Trails (Mason Ridge Dr) in Cottleville is really nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top