Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2017, 10:22 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,015,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
I didn't like Slay at all as he was a liberal, but he wasn't a kook like this Lyda Krewson is. She really is a fruit loop.

She made the news a few months back as a council woman as she introduced a ordinance that would basically have outlawed the ownership of most modern firearms in St. Louis city and made laws much stricter than state laws which clearly is not allowed per MO statues and the constitution of the state of Missouri which Slay wouldn't be dumb enough to sign anyway if somehow it were passed but even the others on the council knew it was BS and it went nowhere. Simply trying to get her name out there.

She comes off as arrogant also.

One can hope that hopefully next election enough of the blacks in the city can realize they're simply being played and vote for someone else.

If the city council and herself get out of hand, hopefully the state lawmakers tighten the screws just like they did when St. Louis city wanted to raise the min wage on their own, further killing what few job opportunities there are for many of the lower working class in the city.

This is why most in the county don't ever want to see a merger. The financial disaster would be a nightmare.

It's as almost if St. Louis City is like the Missouri version of North Korea and St. Louis county is south Korea. The City is so out of touch and blocked off from the rest of the state and insulated in their own ways.

St. Louis county while it is Democrat, granted not total Democrat control, The government operates for more effectively than St. Louis city which is basically a one party total control government and many of its citizens are stuck in poverty and high crime with city leaders that give no solutions except focus on some 100 year old monument and themselves. Basically the same as the DPRK almost. Like the DPRK it's leaders and the few elite in government and inner circles live the good life and talk BS while a large number of Stl residents are stuck in poverty or near poverty and high crime with little being done about it.
Yes, I heard Krewson and County Executive Stenger on KMOX this week and both were touting this "Better Together" project to study city-county merger while denying that's what it's all about. In fact, they say its just to further study "coordination" between city and county - not merger (yet), but that's the whole point of "Better Together":

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/g...c07688df5.html

The last thing I would want would be the same kooks in charge of the city's board of alderman being one huge majority voting bloc in a reunified city/county board of alderman.

Last edited by MUTGR; 06-13-2017 at 10:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 11:11 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,601,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Yes, I heard Krewson and County Executive Stenger on KMOX this week and both were touting this "Better Together" project to study city-county merger while denying that's what it's all about. In fact, they say its just to further study "coordination" between city and county - not merger (yet), but that's the whole point of "Better Together":

Krewson, Stenger back latest push for city-county coordination | Political Fix | stltoday.com

The last thing I would want would be the same kooks in charge of the city's board of alderman being one huge majority voting bloc in a reunified city/county board of alderman.
Discussion about how it's worth wasting billions of dollars in duplicate services to avoid Democratic voters is a topic for another thread.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:58 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,340,749 times
Quote:

Krewson, Stenger back latest push for city-county coordination | Political Fix | stltoday.com

I don't have time to listen to it right now but there is no way Stenger can support a merger when most in the county don't want it even many people who are liberals do not want the merger because it would just lead to bleeding money and eventually higher property taxes and such to prop up St. Louis city. St. Louis county while it is a Democrat county it's not one party like St. Louis city and does contain a number of potential swing votes that if pissed off could tilt the county board to the Republicans possibly give them a Republican executive. Stenger won by a couple thousand votes. If he goes public and becomes vocal about a merger he would probably lose re-election by at least 5 points.

A merger would also drag the rest of the state into it because of the cost and headaches of a merger and then when the county begins to bleed money trying to prop up St. Louis City they will then go to the state lawmakers wanting higher taxes and for the rest of the state to pay for it.

The city of St. Louis is a great example of failures of liberal policy when they have total dominance. It's not a race issue because Democrats have whites and blacks holding offices in the city and the whole party is a total failure to the residents. It further hurts the city because the productive people in the city and ones who make money and pay the most on payroll and property taxes ended up fleeing the city and now you have a smaller tax base who is on the low end on the income scale so you get less taxes from them.

I don't see it happening. For one the voters in the county wouldn't approve it unless you got some kind of massive voter fraud hack or something, and there is no chance the lawmakers in Jefferson City would even consider merging the city into the county unless democrats got control of the assembly and there is no chance they will ever come close to controlling the general assembly again in Jefferson City.

Memphis, TN and New Orleans, LA are two very similar cities to St. Louis and both have a lot of similar problems that St. Louis has with their Democrat dominance. Both have big crime issues as well.

I could see the County becoming a eventual Dump if the merger took place and people then flee to Jefferson, Franklin and Washington Counties. Which actually those counties are already growing as people are moving further out.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
I don't have time to listen to it right now but there is no way Stenger can support a merger when most in the county don't want it even many people who are liberals do not want the merger because it would just lead to bleeding money and eventually higher property taxes and such to prop up St. Louis city. St. Louis county while it is a Democrat county it's not one party like St. Louis city and does contain a number of potential swing votes that if pissed off could tilt the county board to the Republicans possibly give them a Republican executive. Stenger won by a couple thousand votes. If he goes public and becomes vocal about a merger he would probably lose re-election by at least 5 points.

A merger would also drag the rest of the state into it because of the cost and headaches of a merger and then when the county begins to bleed money trying to prop up St. Louis City they will then go to the state lawmakers wanting higher taxes and for the rest of the state to pay for it.

The city of St. Louis is a great example of failures of liberal policy when they have total dominance. It's not a race issue because Democrats have whites and blacks holding offices in the city and the whole party is a total failure to the residents. It further hurts the city because the productive people in the city and ones who make money and pay the most on payroll and property taxes ended up fleeing the city and now you have a smaller tax base who is on the low end on the income scale so you get less taxes from them.

I don't see it happening. For one the voters in the county wouldn't approve it unless you got some kind of massive voter fraud hack or something, and there is no chance the lawmakers in Jefferson City would even consider merging the city into the county unless democrats got control of the assembly and there is no chance they will ever come close to controlling the general assembly again in Jefferson City.

Memphis, TN and New Orleans, LA are two very similar cities to St. Louis and both have a lot of similar problems that St. Louis has with their Democrat dominance. Both have big crime issues as well.

I could see the County becoming a eventual Dump if the merger took place and people then flee to Jefferson, Franklin and Washington Counties. Which actually those counties are already growing as people are moving further out.
Yes, but Republican mega donor Rex Sinquefield is behind "Better Together" and he now has a GOP legislator out of Joplin threatening to get the state leg involved to clean up the mess. They obviously want to try an end run around county voters on this.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Discussion about how it's worth wasting billions of dollars in duplicate services to avoid Democratic voters is a topic for another thread.
You said in this thread the confederate monument should be put in St. Louis County. Seems relevant to discuss city-county merger in this context.

Why would you want to merge with the racists in the county, because you must think they are white supremacists if you think the confederate memorial should go there?

Last edited by MUTGR; 06-14-2017 at 08:19 AM..

Old 06-14-2017, 08:37 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,601,591 times
Quote:
You said in this thread the confederate monument should be put in St. Louis County. Seems relevant to discuss city-county merger in this context.

Why would you want to merge with the racists in the county, because you must think they are white supremacists if you think the confederate memorial should go there?
I'm just saying that putting a Confederate memorial in the city is like putting a Nazi memorial in Paris. It's sort of absurd, regardless of your feelings about Confederate soldiers as heroes vs traitors. City-county merger is a rich topic in its own right that warrants its own thread.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Yes, but Republican mega donor Rex Sinquefield is behind "Better Together" and he now has a GOP legislator out of Joplin threatening to get the state leg involved to clean up the mess. They obviously want to try an end run around county voters on this.
Sounds like a stupid idea when most Republican voters do not want the merger.

Who knows how that would turn out if this happens while Greitens as governor. Kind of worries me because Greitens is a former Democrat.

Much rather have had Peter Kinder as governor. A real conservative who I don't think would favor a merger.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
I'm just saying that putting a Confederate memorial in the city is like putting a Nazi memorial in Paris. It's sort of absurd, regardless of your feelings about Confederate soldiers as heroes vs traitors. City-county merger is a rich topic in its own right that warrants its own thread.
Except at least 4,000 St. Louisans fought for the Confederacy. It was a border city back then like Baltimore. Yes, today there are more blacks living there but that shouldn't have much say into it.

Most of the blacks in the city probably didn't even know about this memorial until a year ago when the Soros backed agitators started with it.

This was 1920. Even back then the city was still quite different than it is today. They didn't have this SJW problem today. Also Confederate veterans will still alive when that was installed. I doubt the hatred for them like there is today. There were a number of places the Battle Flag still flew as of WW1. One of the post offices in the KC area flew the Battle Flag up until WW1 as well.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
It does deserve it's own thread. I'm sure this is a topic that will be frequently in the news because Rex Sinquefield is funding a group pushing it right now.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
It does deserve it's own thread. I'm sure this is a topic that will be frequently in the news because Rex Sinquefield is funding a group pushing it right now.
He's odd to figure out as he is all over the place when it comes to stuff and the people he backs. Makes me wonder if he backs it simply for more personal gains rather than the whole party in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis