Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2017, 11:53 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,828,662 times

Advertisements

I think it's bizarre that it won't be allowed to be displayed in the Civil War museum in the county. I'm honestly disappointed about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 09:09 PM

7,442 posts, read 6,964,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prizm View Post
I see the Confederacy is still undying and steadfast in this thread.
I see you are an idiot troll.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:43 AM

7,107 posts, read 8,882,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Give the monument to another part of the state that would appreciate it more like Sikeston, Rolla, Poplar Bluff, Branson, Neosho, Kennett, Cape Girardeau, Caruthersville or West Plains.
We agree on something! (Its a miracle)

It is obviously a divisive statue in a public place in a diverse liberal city. Why should people have it forced down their throat. Its not just a St. Louis thing. People don't want confederacy celebrated nor the lives of people who promoted their agenda.

I personally didn't notice the thing until it was brought to my attention. I'm glad its going away. Hopefully it will go somewhere people can appreciate it.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:31 PM

3,822 posts, read 3,261,588 times
Quote:
Perhaps all the people agreeing that the Confederacy fought an honorable and heroic cause, as the epigraph on the statue implies, would be happy with statues that honors Hitler, Pol Pot and Stalin. After all, they lost very divisive wars with questionable moral causes. Why not honor them too? Not trying to troll. Serious question. Lots of neo-nazi's feel just as passionate about their cause as apparently the old South does. Do those kinds of statues deserve a place in the public square?
You can't compare the Confederacy to someone like a butcherer like Stalin or Kim Jong Un.

Old 06-28-2017, 02:39 PM

1,400 posts, read 855,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
We agree on something! (Its a miracle)

It is obviously a divisive statue in a public place in a diverse liberal city. Why should people have it forced down their throat. Its not just a St. Louis thing. People don't want confederacy celebrated nor the lives of people who promoted their agenda.

I personally didn't notice the thing until it was brought to my attention. I'm glad its going away. Hopefully it will go somewhere people can appreciate it.
The monument was erected in 1914. Only a handful of St. Louisans are older than that monument. The majority of people living in STL today didn't even have family in the area in 1914. You got it backwards. The question should be: If the confederate monument bothers people that much, then why did they (and/or their family) move here in the first place?

You kinda contradicted yourself anyway when you said it was forced down your throat, but you didn't even know it was here until recently.

Old 06-28-2017, 03:28 PM

7,107 posts, read 8,882,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
You kinda contradicted yourself anyway when you said it was forced down your throat, but you didn't even know it was here until recently.
I didn't write that it was forced down my throat. I used the term "their" referring to the people who where offended by it. I am not that fragile to allow a stupid statue that was built 10 billion years ago to offend me. I am glad its gone because it was divisive and offensive to many. At the same time Lyda and city hall need to focus on making the city safe and probusiness.

Old 06-28-2017, 03:41 PM

3,822 posts, read 3,261,588 times
Quote:
The monument was erected in 1914. Only a handful of St. Louisans are older than that monument. The majority of people living in STL today didn't even have family in the area in 1914. You got it backwards. The question should be: If the confederate monument bothers people that much, then why did they (and/or their family) move here in the first place?

Most normal people didn't know about the monument or give to sh*** about it. I never saw the blacks complain about it until recently just like the New Orleans one.

A waste of time and money to remove the monument. Think of the overtime having to be paid for officers to stand guard there and other issues.

Lyda is a damn joke. The liberal Francis Slay didn't waste time or money on this monument. Lyda has a few screws loose.

Remember earlier this year she introduced a bill that basically banned most firearms in the city even though everyone knows you can't override the state on that.

Old 06-28-2017, 03:53 PM

1,400 posts, read 855,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I didn't write that it was forced down my throat. I used the term "their" referring to the people who where offended by it. I am not that fragile to allow a stupid statue that was built 10 billion years ago to offend me. I am glad its gone because it was divisive and offensive to many. At the same time Lyda and city hall need to focus on making the city safe and probusiness.
I guess I just didn't understand who's throat the monument was being forced down, given that it was here long before most people. It's kinda like moving to Egypt, and then complaining about all the Pharaoh statues.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:15 PM

72,814 posts, read 62,135,211 times
Quote:
I guess I just didn't understand who's throat the monument was being forced down, given that it was here long before most people. It's kinda like moving to Egypt, and then complaining about all the Pharaoh statues.
Actually, most of those Confederate monuments were erected during the early stages of the Jim Crow era. It was likely they were being shoved down the throats of Blacks, and Blacks have been in Missouri, and the South since slavery. Your own comparison makes no sense.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:08 PM

72,814 posts, read 62,135,211 times
Quote:
No even close.
Thank you. It isn't even close. Alot of the people who want the Confederate statues to come down have been living in those locations since antebellum days. They didn't just move there a week ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis