Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2017, 06:27 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,598,792 times

Advertisements

Mmm, yes, giving speeches to banks is the same thing as putting them in charge of the SEC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 12:15 PM

1,400 posts, read 862,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Mmm, yes, giving speeches to banks is the same thing as putting them in charge of the SEC.
You're right, it's not the same. Taking money from big banks is much worse than appointing an experienced executive.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:51 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,598,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
You're right, it's not the same. Taking money from big banks is much worse than appointing an experienced executive.
Trump has taken far more money from big banks than Hillary could ever dream of. But Trump did it by borrowing money for businesses he ran into the ground, so I guess that's much less morally repugnant than talking.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:42 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Back to the topic. We know that the desire to keep slavery was the main reason why the South wanted secession. Any basic lesson in U.S history can teach you this. Scholars will tell you this. Words from the mouths of southerners who were alive in those days will tell you that. The Articles of Secession will tell you that. Do not go into the false equivalency phrase "the Founding Fathers owned slaves". Do not try that. The reason for the American Revolution was explicitly about taxation without representation. The desire to keep slavery had nothing to do with it. For the Civil War, the South's reasons for secession had slavery being the majority of what they were going for. Abraham Lincoln not being keen on freeing the slaves does not refute how those in the South felt about Lincoln.

Given all of that, there is no reason to honor Confederates. There is no reason to fly the Confederate flag anywhere in the USA. I base this on FACTS, historical facts. The Confederate cause is not worthy of any honor. We remember the Confederates, but given them places of honor? No.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:13 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,959,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Back to the topic. We know that the desire to keep slavery was the main reason why the South wanted secession. Any basic lesson in U.S history can teach you this. Scholars will tell you this. Words from the mouths of southerners who were alive in those days will tell you that. The Articles of Secession will tell you that. Do not go into the false equivalency phrase "the Founding Fathers owned slaves". Do not try that. The reason for the American Revolution was explicitly about taxation without representation. The desire to keep slavery had nothing to do with it. For the Civil War, the South's reasons for secession had slavery being the majority of what they were going for. Abraham Lincoln not being keen on freeing the slaves does not refute how those in the South felt about Lincoln.

Given all of that, there is no reason to honor Confederates. There is no reason to fly the Confederate flag anywhere in the USA. I base this on FACTS, historical facts. The Confederate cause is not worthy of any honor. We remember the Confederates, but given them places of honor? No.
This is the best response to this issue. Thanks.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
This is the best response to this issue. Thanks.
No problem. We've butted heads before on somethings, but I can say we're on the same page with this topic. No one has come up with a good reason to justify honoring those who fought on behalf of a cause related to preserving the antebellum institution of slavery. The only thing anyone can come up with is

1) False equivalency
2) "Southern heritage". Notice how no southern Blacks(and southerners make up the majority of Blacks in the USA) claim the Confederate flag as southern heritage.
3) It's history.

No one can come up with any kind of concreate argument.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:51 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,959,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
No problem. We've butted heads before on somethings, but I can say we're on the same page with this topic. No one has come up with a good reason to justify honoring those who fought on behalf of a cause related to preserving the antebellum institution of slavery. The only thing anyone can come up with is

1) False equivalency
2) "Southern heritage". Notice how no southern Blacks(and southerners make up the majority of Blacks in the USA) claim the Confederate flag as southern heritage.
3) It's history.

No one can come up with any kind of concreate argument.
That is true. The majority of the supporters are older Whites. Many don't identify as racist but will tell you they are racist by conversation.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 07-12-2017 at 08:31 PM..

Old 07-12-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
That is true. The majority of the supporters are older Whites. Many don't identify as racist but will tell you they are racist by conversation.
I've had such experiences in high school. I went to high school in Paulding County. It's part of metro Atlanta, but it functions more like Alabama(the Alabama borderg is 50 minutes drive from where I went to high school). I went to school with many students who wore Dixie Outfitter t-shirts. Many of the students would say things like "it's southern heritage" or "heritage not hate".

To me, it was common sense not to wear a Confederate flag t-shirt. It made sense to me. The South wanted slavery so bad that it was willing to secede. This is what I see in the history books. This was common sense to me. However, to many students I went to high school with, it was like dealing with brats.

And yes, many of the persons who supported the Confederate flag were themselves racists. For some, they were very open with it. I will start with the number of times I've been called the "N" word. Years later I'm finding out through facebook how many of said persons were covert with racially motivated opinions.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:44 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,334,459 times
Quote:
Btw what do you think about 1976 when 43 percent of Missourians voted to KEEP school segregation in the state's constitution when it was put on the ballots to be repealed?

Why did MO lawmakers wait so long to pass a bill to get it put on the ballots for voters to remove school segregation? Why not in the 60s? granted if 43 percent voted to keep it in the constitution if it was put on the ballots in lets say 1965 it might have had a tougher time passing since the civil rights act just passed and people probably held different views.

Can you imagine if it failed how embarrassing it would be to the state?

I guess it was sorta like gay marriage. Missouri voters overwhelmingly banned it in 2004 by a large margin and so did many other states. However, the last couple years despite that most have moderated their views and are accepting to it now since the courts struck it down.

After the civil rights act passed over time people began to accept it and move on.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:47 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,010,346 times
Quote:
How do you flush out these older racist whites by their conversation? Are there trigger words? Is it a way of speaking? What clues are there on which you make these judgments?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis