U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 09:27 AM

7,355 posts, read 6,567,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Mayor Krewson should have saved the money the city spent fighting the Confederate Museum to pay the crossing guards who ensure the children's safety. The money the city spent trying to control the fate of a piece of stone could have given others a livelihood. What a waste.

ksdk.com | City cuts funding for crossing guards at 20 SLPS campuses
Mayor Krewson still hasn't named a chief of police:

Messenger: Drawn-out police chief search marks Krewson's first 100 days | Tony Messenger | stltoday.com

priorities.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 07:22 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,472,729 times
Article in the Kansas City Red Star today about Confederate monuments, including ones in Missouri.

It mentions a newer one in Lafayette County, outskirts of KC metro that flies the battle flag at it also and that it has had no known complaints the mayor said and many people like it.

Lafayette county is within Little Dixie and as talked about here before has fairly strong southern influences to this day even though it's generally on the edges of the transition zone. I'd say it leans Midwestern due to it also being fairly north in the state but it still has noticeable southern influences in it along with ancestry. I'd say it's 40-45 percent southern and has more southern influences than areas more south in the state like Farmington or Lake of the Ozarks which are still within the south of US 50 transition zone dividing line but have more Midwest influences.

The far north part of the transition zone in western MO has more southern influences than the far northern parts of the transition zone in Eastern MO.

Few firing complaints at Missouri's Confederate monuments | The Kansas City Star

Old 08-19-2017, 08:46 PM

18 posts, read 16,091 times
**** this ****. The statue has been there for how long? Leave it be, if a small statue offends you and makes you want to cry, you're going to have a hard time being an adult.

I'm Jewish, but neo-nazis have just as much right to be anti-Semites as I do to speak my mind. I don't try to erase them just because it might offend me. This thing is a ****ing statue and they need to tear it down? Pathetic.

And yes, I'm a staunch conservative and St. Louis native.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralTownLover View Post
**** this ****. The statue has been there for how long? Leave it be, if a small statue offends you and makes you want to cry, you're going to have a hard time being an adult.

I'm Jewish, but neo-nazis have just as much right to be anti-Semites as I do to speak my mind. I don't try to erase them just because it might offend me. This thing is a ****ing statue and they need to tear it down? Pathetic.

And yes, I'm a staunch conservative and St. Louis native.
I think it was dumb the one in St. Louis was removed from Forrest Park.

There is a Confederate Drive in Forest Park. I wonder if they will rename that too. That statue was there for 100 years in St. Louis without any problems. Of course at that time you still had some Confederate veterans who were still alive living in that area. I think about 4,500 St. Louisans fought for the Confederacy. 100 years ago St. Louis had more southern influences than it does today which there are not many left. There are still some traces of southern influence left in St. Louis as talked about on here but it's not much. Maybe 10 percent, not enough to include it in the transition zone.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
I think it was dumb the one in St. Louis was removed from Forrest Park.

There is a Confederate Drive in Forest Park. I wonder if they will rename that too. That statue was there for 100 years in St. Louis without any problems. Of course at that time you still had some Confederate veterans who were still alive living in that area. I think about 4,500 St. Louisans fought for the Confederacy. 100 years ago St. Louis had more southern influences than it does today which there are not many left. There are still some traces of southern influence left in St. Louis as talked about on here but it's not much. Maybe 10 percent, not enough to include it in the transition zone.
They're a bunch of yuppie bastards. They need to stop trying to cater the world to their liking and decide to deal with it instead of ****ing with history.

Sorry for my language, politics pisses me off.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:35 AM

Quote:
They're a bunch of yuppie bastards. They need to stop trying to cater the world to their liking and decide to deal with it instead of ****ing with history.

I think George Soros has something to do behind these Confederate protest that have been going on the last 6 months with all these statues being removed.

Just like Bloomberg is behind the scenes of the anti gun movement.

Btw it's funny how Bloomberg keeps losing in Missouri. In 2014 Demanding Moms started getting active in MO. They lost the veto override on expanded open carry, they lost big at the polls when amendment 5 passed, they lost when they challenged it to the Missouri Supreme Court, and then last year they really got slapped down with the passage of permit less concealed carry.

This year they were somewhat successful of getting gun free zones such as colleges and stadiums repealed delayed as it passed the committees but it was too late to get it up for a vote. It likely would have passed and been signed by Eric Greitens if it wasn't for the budget delaying the hearings. Remember, Greitens wife was robbed last Dec which might have made him feel more pro concealed carry after that.

MO now ranks tied for 48 by the Brady Foundation for the weakest gun laws in the country with the passage of permit less carry! Only MS ranks lower by them.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
I think George Soros has something to do behind these Confederate protest that have been going on the last 6 months with all these statues being removed.

Just like Bloomberg is behind the scenes of the anti gun movement.

Btw it's funny how Bloomberg keeps losing in Missouri. In 2014 Demanding Moms started getting active in MO. They lost the veto override on expanded open carry, they lost big at the polls when amendment 5 passed, they lost when they challenged it to the Missouri Supreme Court, and then last year they really got slapped down with the passage of permit less concealed carry.

This year they were somewhat successful of getting gun free zones such as colleges and stadiums repealed delayed as it passed the committees but it was too late to get it up for a vote. It likely would have passed and been signed by Eric Greitens if it wasn't for the budget delaying the hearings. Remember, Greitens wife was robbed last Dec which might have made him feel more pro concealed carry after that.

MO now ranks tied for 48 by the Brady Foundation for the weakest gun laws in the country with the passage of permit less carry! Only MS ranks lower by them.
I'm glad! In Montana, it is so easy to buy a gun and in the city I lived in (Missoula), you could open carry into any building except a federal building or a hospital.

George Soros is an awful human being.

I think that I have a right to carry a gun just about anywhere and I do NOT want Missouri to end up like the disgusting murder ridden cesspool that is Chicago.

Old 08-20-2017, 07:19 PM

4,875 posts, read 3,312,565 times
Quote:

All those bastards wanting equal rights and stuff, what a load of jerks. Cover the country with statues glorifying the oppression of a minority and people get so uppity and rude, go figure!

Old 08-20-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
All those bastards wanting equal rights and stuff, what a load of jerks. Cover the country with statues glorifying the oppression of a minority and people get so uppity and rude, go figure!
Woah, it's almost like they have equal rights, and it's almost like that statue is a historical monument. Let's go tear down concentration camps, why don't we.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:36 PM

The people tearing down that statue in NC looked like a bunch of wimpy snowflakes. I mean take a look at the video and the "men" in it. Not very masculine looking the way they're dressed and acting when the statue came down.

That is the future of America right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis